How Dan Patrick’s wife convinced him to leave ESPN

Dan Patrick has shed some mild on what satisfied him it was time to depart ESPN’s media empire.

The legendary broadcaster appeared on Kyle Brandt’s “10 Questions” podcast and defined he was about to signal a five-year cope with the Mothership — till his spouse, Susan, gave him some perspective on why that will not be his finest course.

Dan Patrick says that his wife helped convince him to leave ESPN in 2007.
Dan Patrick says that his spouse helped persuade him to depart ESPN in 2007.
Scott Clarke

“My 4 youngsters have been aged 9-15, and I used to be going to signal a brand new five-year deal at ESPN,” Patrick mentioned. “I keep in mind that morning, my spouse mentioned, ‘Are you certain you wish to do that?’ She mentioned, ‘They’re all gonna be out of the home once you’re accomplished with this.’ I’m not even considering that.”

Dan Patrick interviewing Bruce Bowen after the Spurs won the 2007 NBA Finals.
Dan Patrick interviewing Bruce Bowen after the Spurs received the 2007 NBA Finals.
NBAE through Getty Pictures

As an alternative, Patrick was enthusiastic about how a lot the corporate would pay him and for what number of reveals. He went into ESPN places of work in Bristol and rejected their supply.

“I keep in mind getting in, and I went upstairs, and my boss mentioned, ‘What are you gonna do? Take it or depart it.’ I paused, and mentioned, ‘I’m gonna depart it.’ He didn’t hear me … I mentioned, ‘No, I’m gonna depart.’

Patrick mentioned he went outdoors, known as his spouse, and she or he instructed him that even when they needed to promote their home, it was okay.

“That’s when it hit me: She had perspective, I had none,” Patrick mentioned. “I’m on TV, making nice cash. She’s elevating the youngsters. I used to be so blind to it. And thank God I got here dwelling.”

Patrick left ESPN in 2007, and launched his radio present months later, which has since grow to be syndicated and may be streamed on NBC’s Peacock platform.

Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann, who had a legendary partnership at ESPN, reunited on an NBC Sports activities telecast in 2009.
NBCUniversal through Getty Pictures

In succeeding, he set the template for a bevy of different abilities over the previous 15 years that there can certainly be fruitful skilled life outdoors of the 4 letters.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post