How Raven Goodwin Amber Riley relate to their ‘Single Black Female’ characters

Raven Goodwin and Amber Riley each made names for themselves whereas maneuvering via the obstacles of Hollywood.

So it’s simple for them to narrate to the characters they play within the upcoming Lifetime film, “Single Black Feminine,” airing Feb. 5 at 8 p.m.

Within the film, a twist on the 1992 thriller “Single White Feminine” (starring Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bridget Fonda), Goodwin stars as Monica who, following the loss of life of her father and a nasty breakup, tries to land a job internet hosting a day discuss present.

She hires a brand new assistant, Simone (Riley), and so they turn into shut buddies. However after Simone strikes in subsequent door and immerses herself in Monica’s life, her creepy facet begins to emerge — with tragic penalties and a revelation of her deep, darkish secret. Ok. Michelle and Janet Hubert co-star.

Goodwin, 29, who co-starred on BET’s “Being Mary Jane,” mentioned she has all the time tried to audition for roles that stretched her boundaries.

“I've learn for components that had been actually for a caucasian [actress] and have … nothing to do with me being an enormous black lady. None of that,” she mentioned. “I all the time assume that possibly I can change folks’s minds and fully change the character. I believe it’s all a few feeling, about connecting … with the dialogue and constructing the character’s life past the web page.

“When you try this, the sky’s the restrict.”

Photo of Raven Goodwin and Amber Riley in "Single Black Female" (their characters are taking a selfie).
Monica and Simone share amusing (for now) in “Single Black Feminine.”

Riley, 35, who performed Mercedes Jones on the Fox sequence “Glee,” mentioned she shares comparable sentiments, significantly because it applies to the music trade.

“I was signed to a document label and my greatest qualm with them was that they had an thought of who I used to be, and what my voice was, even after I obtained on ‘Glee,’ on which I used to be typecast,” she mentioned. “There have been some scenes the place I obtained to interrupt out of that, which is basically dope, however I used to be by no means a belter, the individual that sang loud and hollered. I used to be a classically skilled singer.

“However as a result of I used to be a fats black lady it was like, ‘Oh, no that is who you need to be.’ And I fought in opposition to that.”

Riley not too long ago made it clear that she doesn't need to be known as “Mercedes” on Twitter after somebody repeatedly known as her by her character’s identify on “Glee.”

“I despise when ppl name me Mercedes. Put some respect on my identify. Name me AMBER or RILEY,” she tweeted on Jan. 15.

“I did a music with R&B singer Eric Bellinger years in the past known as ‘By no means Be Lonely,'” she mentioned. “I keep in mind happening YouTube as a result of I did a music video for [the song] and somebody mentioned, ‘Man her voice doesn’t match her face. I used to be questioning why the large lady was within the video however then I spotted that was her voice.’

“I simply thought that was so attention-grabbing and I mentioned, ‘I’m going to proceed to sing this fashion so that individuals will see me.'”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post