‘I escaped a Jewish cult that wanted me to marry my 12-year-old cousin’

When Mendy Levy was 15 years outdated, he had by no means thrown a baseball, seen a stuffed animal, watched tv or held a cellphone.

Born into the excessive fundamentalist Jewish sect of Lev Tahor, he was, he instructed The Put up, raised to mistrust outsiders and to consider that Kids’s Protecting Companies wished to take Jewish kids from their households and have them introduced up as gentiles.

However the teenager reached his breaking level in September 2018. Lev Tahor’s chief, Nachman Helbrans (whose late father, Shlomo Helbrans, based the group), allegedly commanded Levy to marry his 12-year-old first cousin.

“I knew it was improper. After a Friday night time service, Nachman [gathered us] to make an engagement,” Levy, now 18, instructed The Put up. His younger cousin’s face was coated — as is the Lev Tahor custom for females, who put on lengthy, black robes. “She was crying loud, and I didn’t wish to do it. Lastly, at 7 o’clock within the morning, we agreed — verbally, however not emotionally. The rabbi dipped a bit of bread in borscht, gave it to me and mentioned, ‘Mazel tov, you might be engaged.’”

Mendy Levy escaped from Lev Tahor, an extremist Jewish cult, when he was 15. He is now 18.
Mendy Levy escaped from Lev Tahor, an extremist Jewish cult, when he was 15. He's now 18.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

Levy didn’t really feel he may say no. “I feared, I might be charim [Yiddish for ostracized],” he mentioned. “I feared that they may lock me up and beat me.”

In line with sources, Lev Tahor was shaped in Israel throughout the Nineteen Eighties with the intention of working towards Judaism because it was 5,000 years in the past.

Levy was removed from the one member who claims he was compelled into or threatened with marriage at a younger age.

This previous November, a federal jury in New York convicted Nachman Helbrans and co-leader Mayer Rosner on fees together with conspiracy to move a minor with intent to have interaction in legal sexual exercise. They're awaiting sentencing. The Division of Justice alleges that Helbrans organized for his 13-year-old niece from Woodridge, NY, to marry a 19-year-old man and start a sexual relationship with him for the aim of procreating. Younger moms in Lev Tahor, in accordance with the DOJ, had been made to ship infants in personal properties in order to cover their ages.

Nachman Helbrans’ lawyer declined to remark for this story. Lev Tahor’s leaders have beforehand denied accusations of wrongdoing or mistreatment of its members.

Levy's family, along with other Lev Tahor members, moved from Israel to the US to Canada and Guatemala, sometimes in an alleged effort to avoid child protective services.
Levy’s household, together with different Lev Tahor members, moved from Israel to the US to Canada and Guatemala, generally in an alleged effort to keep away from little one protecting providers.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

One Brooklyn-based supply who has labored to free followers from Lev Tahor instructed The Put up that the group has “a convoluted interpretation of Judaica, which believes that when a boy or woman hits maturity, at 12 or 13 years outdated, they've an obligation to get married.

“Nothing about this cult is exclusive or inventive. But it surely grew to become extra archaic and problematic when Nachman took over. He's a whole sociopath,” mentioned the supply, who requested to not be named as a result of he fears it is going to hinder his rescue work. “One in every of their huge issues is extortion: telling folks, for instance, that in the event that they wish to discuss to their kids earlier than Yom Kippur, they must donate cash.”

All of it started with simply six members — together with Levy’s grandparents, who had been followers of Shlomo Helbrans — who moved from Israel to the USA round 1990. 4 years later, Shlomo was convicted within the US and served two years in jail for kidnapping a 13-year-old boy. Shlomo later fled to Canada and regrouped Lev Tahor within the mountains north of Montreal, the place Levy was born in 2003.

Lev Tahor leader Nachman Helbrans (left) tried to force the marriage between Levy and the teen's even younger cousin.
Lev Tahor chief Nachman Helbrans (left) allegedly tried to pressure the wedding between Levy and the teenager’s even youthful cousin.

“You’d rise up within the morning and be taught non secular classes till 8 o’clock at night time. Your mother stuffed out a type, which we introduced to highschool every day and gave to the rabbi,” Levy recalled. “In case you had prayed and behaved, she made a test. In case you did one thing improper, she made an X. If there have been X’s in your type, the academics hit you … They loved it. If I laughed throughout class, I obtained smacked within the face. You then is likely to be made to face in entrance of the category with a pacifier in your mouth. They humiliated you.

“They mentioned that for doing the improper issues, you'd go to hell. And the sins had been eliminated after they hit you.”

In 2014, questions from Quebec authorities over the group’s lack of secular education, in accordance with Levy, led the 300 members to orchestrate a nighttime transfer to Ontario.

“I used to be so excited,” mentioned Levy, who traveled in considered one of three buses filled with congregants. “It was the primary time I noticed highways and cattle. We booked two flooring of a resort in Toronto. The TVs had been unplugged and cables taken out. I knew that televisions weren't Jewish — that they confirmed issues I shouldn’t see.”

After a yr, the group relocated to Guatemala, the place, Levy mentioned, they believed they may apply extra freely.

They traveled by way of aircraft, with the youngsters sporting modern-style clothes for the primary time, in an effort to mix in. “We had been instructed to not inform anybody something about being hit,” mentioned Levy, who recalled being instructed to tuck his payess curls beneath a cap. “I used to be starting to grasp the skin world.”

In Guatemala, they occupied tents on a tree-less swath of land bought by Lev Tahor. “It was horrible,” mentioned Levy. “There have been pregnant 14-year-olds strolling round and armed safety guards. I killed some snakes with rocks.”

Like Nachman Helbrans, Lev Tahor co-leader Mayer Rosner (above) was convicted last year of charges that included conspiring to transport a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity. They are awaiting sentencing.
Like Nachman Helbrans, Lev Tahor co-leader Mayer Rosner (above) was convicted final yr of fees that included conspiring to move a minor with intent to have interaction in legal sexual exercise. They're awaiting sentencing.

Life there was troublesome for Levy, particularly after his father died from a illness in 2016 — it was so secretive that Levy doesn’t know the precise trigger, however attributes his father’s passing to the group’s aversion to hospitals. At that time, he mentioned, he and 9 of his 10 siblings, excluding an toddler, had been made to dwell with different households within the camp. “They mentioned that my mom wouldn't have the ability to self-discipline us in a spiritual means,” he recalled.

Then he was referred to as to fulfill with the group’s leaders, alongside along with his cousin.

Levy mentioned that he was instructed: “You do not want to marry her right here. First we are going to ship you to Canada. Then we are going to ship her. You'll dwell a fantastic life there.”

After being handed a journey doc supposedly signed by his mom, giving him permission to journey alone — “It was achieved so shortly that that they had me [listed] as a lady” — Levy spent an evening in “an empty home with no home windows and safety guards outdoors, so I couldn't depart.”

Levy (far right) has not seen nine of his siblings or his mother since he left the group.
Levy (far proper) has not seen 9 of his siblings or his mom since he left the group.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

He noticed his mom one final time. “She was crying and didn't know what they might do with me. However she and I didn't hug. You aren't allowed to hug your mom.”

Levy was then taken to a resort and given a telephone that he was proven how one can reply, “so they may name me within the occasion of an emergency,” he mentioned.

A pacesetter checked him right into a room. “Earlier than leaving me,” Levy mentioned, “he instructed me that I can't exit of the room. And I’m certain he thought that I by no means would.” The teenager was afraid of being overwhelmed, locked away or worse if he tried to flee: “I had a concern that they might perhaps kill me.”

Without the help from the Hasidic community, Levy says he would not be able to have escaped.
With out assist from the Hasidic group, Levy says he wouldn't have been capable of escape.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

However, alone with a telephone for the primary time, the 15-year-old lastly opened the system. “There have been some contacts [programmed] inside,” he mentioned. “I pressed one and there was no reply. The second quantity, a man answered. He instructed me he used to donate cash to Lev Tahor. He was abroad. I instructed him who I'm, what my scenario was, and that I have to get out.”

The person requested Levy for his location. However Levy, who now believes that the telephone contained outdated contacts but to be deleted, had no clue. The person promised to search out anyone who may assist.

Levy cut off his payess curls a year after escaping Lev Tahor.
Levy reduce off his payess curls a yr after escaping Lev Tahor.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

A couple of minutes later, a former Lev Tahor sympathizer referred to as. “He wished to choose me up however wanted my tackle; I didn’t have it; he instructed me to go to the entrance desk. I used to be so scared. My coronary heart was thumping,” Levy recalled. “I slowly opened the door to see if anybody was within the hallway. I used to be afraid that anyone from Lev Tahor could be there.”

Trying over his shoulder, he made his means downstairs and handed the telephone to a front-desk clerk, who gave the tackle to the person on the opposite finish of the road. Shortly after, Levy mentioned, “A taxi pulled up and I jumped inside.”

The automobile took Levy to the person’s home, the place the teenager stayed for a number of months. It took some time to regulate, although. “I used to be afraid to eat [the rescuer’s] meals. It was kosher, however I believed it wasn’t kosher sufficient; I used to be brainwashed,” he mentioned. As soon as in the home, Levy added, “I used to be afraid to be outdoors.”

Lastly, it was organized for the Canadian embassy to ship him to Quebec. “If not for the Orthodox group, I by no means would have gotten the assistance to maneuver on,” Levy mentioned of his rescuers. “The Hasidic group has nothing to do with Lev Tahor.”

Levy is now ending highschool in Quebec and lives with a foster household that follows the tenets of Chabad-Orthodox Judaism. He DJs, takes images and performs keyboards. He’s developed a love of pizza, has been on dates with secular Jewish women and often posts motivational movies that encourage positivity on Instagram. He’s additionally reduce off his payess.

Today, Levy attends synagogue voluntarily: “I am going for enjoyable. I've pals there and I dwell a secular, open-minded life.”

Levy said he now lives a secular Jewish life.
Levy mentioned he now lives a secular Jewish life.
Supplied by Mendy Levy

As to what occurred to his first cousin, Levy has no thought. “There’s been no contact in any respect,” he mentioned of his household, together with his mom. “Lev Tahor as soon as instructed me that I may communicate along with her if I ship $200. It was all the cash I had and I despatched it. Then they instructed me, no, I can’t discuss to my mother.”

9 of his siblings stay in Guatemala with Lev Tahor, whereas his older brother managed to flee to Israel. Not too long ago the 2 “met in Guatemala to offer testimony to authorized authorities about what goes on there with Lev Tahor,” Levy mentioned.

At dwelling in Quebec, Levy is planning to attend school and maybe main in psychology. “I went via loads,” he mentioned. “I believe I may help folks.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post