Obi Toppin coming on strong despite brutal Knicks’ stretch

Essentially the most constructive factor the Knicks can take out of their final two losses must be the consecutive robust capturing nights posted by Obi Toppin.

The second-year dunk machine had been connecting on a dismal 20 p.c from 3-point vary till nailing 5 of seven makes an attempt from past the arc in losses this week in Cleveland and Miami.

“I simply really feel like, trusting the work that I put in. All these guys, all of the coaches, they imagine in me, they belief me, and I simply bought to know what I’ve bought to do after I get in there,” Toppin stated after scoring a team-high 18 factors off the bench Wednesday in a loss to the Warmth. “I put the work in and all the things goes to fall into place after that.”

The 2020 lottery decide has performed no less than quarter-hour in three of the previous 4 video games, following an eight-game stretch during which he averaged barely greater than 11 per recreation. Whereas Julius Randle (minus-34) and the beginning unit have been destroyed at each ends within the first and third quarters by the Warmth, Toppin additionally led the second unit with a team-best plus-20 ranking over 21 minutes.

New York Knicks' Obi Toppin (1) drives to the basket
Dunk-machine Obi Toppin has discovered his capturing stroke not too long ago.
AP Picture

“I simply know after I get into the sport, I've to deliver power. I don’t wish to mess up,” Toppin stated. “I'm going in, play my hardest and play with quite a lot of power. We rely on one another. All of us need to exit and do our job.”

Requested about being a fan favourite and their requires him to obtain extra taking part in time from head coach Tom Thibodeau, Toppin added, “I’m probably not a social media man … however Thibs, the teaching employees, they’re nice at what they do. So I belief them in addition to all the opposite gamers on our crew. We belief the coaches and no matter selections they've for us, we’ve bought to reside with it.”


The blowout loss in Miami enabled Thibodeau to get an prolonged look at not too long ago acquired Cam Reddish, who performed the ultimate 9:50 and scored six factors after not taking part in in any respect Monday in Cleveland.

“At that time we’re in a reasonably large gap, down 30, it’s simply get him some taking part in time and get him on the market with that group and get some minutes for him,” Thibodeau stated. “So there was some profit to that.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post