Troy Aikman talks NFL playoffs, overtime rule, Odell Beckham’s resurgence

NFL Corridor of Fame QB and Fox Sports activities lead analyst Troy Aikman will full his twentieth season on-air with Joe Buck — the NFL’s longest-tenured on-air duo — as they name Sunday’s 49ers-Rams NFC Championship sport. However first, Aikman huddles with Put up columnist Steve Serby for some playoff Q&A.

Q: Matthew Stafford and Joe Burrow haven’t performed in a convention championship sport. What ought to they anticipate?

A: This would be the greatest sport of their careers. They usually’ll realize it. They usually know that already. It's totally different. It’s a distinct really feel, a distinct vibe as quickly as you're taking the sphere. There’s much more media for this sport than there had been for any of the opposite two playoff video games. After which once they take the sphere, all the pieces about it's totally different. It’s how properly can they settle in? I feel it’s true of all video games, even regular-season video games. There’s instances when issues are occurring at warp velocity early in video games, and finally the sport slows down. And the earlier that that may occur, then the higher off these quarterbacks’ll be.

Q: Describe Matthew Stafford.

A: The dialog about, “Hey, is the stage too huge for him? How will he play when he will get to the postseason?” This man’s been underneath a microscope for the reason that commerce passed off. He’s gotten them so far, and everyone knows that attending to the NFC Championship is just not why they traded for him. And even attending to the following sport is just not why they traded for him. However he’s performed so properly, particularly final week in a hostile setting when Tampa [Bay] began to mount their comeback and he made the performs on the finish. I simply suppose no matter occurs, I don’t suppose we will say or counsel that the sport was too huge. I feel the man’s phenomenal. He’s stood up and he’s performed nice when there’s been numerous stress on him all season lengthy.

Cowboys
Troy Aikman
Getty Photos

Q: As for Jimmy Garoppolo, it’s been stated that you could win due to quarterbacks, and you'll win with quarterbacks.

A: I feel with Jimmy it’s somewhat little bit of each. As soon as any individual sort of will get labeled, if in actual fact that’s how Jimmy’s labeled, and I perceive, I feel for those who’re a 49ers fan, (chuckle) each time Jimmy drops again to cross, it’s a roller-coaster journey, you’re not actual positive precisely what you’re going to get. However I’ve seen him when he’s performed lights out and has been on the cash. And I feel that even when there’s been these video games — and we’ve seen it, we noticed it final week in Inexperienced Bay, he had the interception down within the pink zone, had a few others that would have been intercepted — I feel if that’s your narrative on Jimmy, then you definitely don’t consider the large performs that he makes on third downs that retains drives alive. I like Jimmy, I actually do. I like the best way he’s been capable of hold in there. I like the best way he’s dealt with all the pieces with Trey Lance in a really, very tough circumstance. I don’t know that individuals actually understand how exhausting that's. I by no means fairly went by way of that, however I've an thought as to how tough that may be, and he’s been wonderful. He’s been an amazing teammate, his teammates love him. I feel he’s an enormous purpose as to why this staff’s the place they’re at.

Q: The Sean McVay-Kyle Shanahan teaching matchup?

A: I like that tree, I'll inform ya. If I used to be beginning a staff right this moment, and will choose any head coach that I wished, Kyle Shanahan can be my head coach. I like all the pieces about him. Love the best way he’s the pinnacle coach of that staff, but in addition his offensive creativity and brilliance. And I feel Sean McVay is superior as properly. These are two coaches, two groups which can be actually in numerous methods mirror pictures of each other so far as their philosophy, how they actually wish to go about profitable, the best way the groups are constructed, each actually good offensive minds, however along with that, I feel they’re each nice head coaches.

49ers
Deebo Samuel
USA TODAY Sports activities

Q: How would you describe Deebo Samuel’s mentality?

A: It’s not like something I’ve seen. There’s gamers which have that … individuals check with it as this “canine mentality,” and I assume that’s one of the simplest ways to say it, perhaps that resonates essentially the most with individuals once they hear that. I used to be requested this previous week if we’ll see extra of that, the place we see guys which can be huge receivers play working again and be versatile the best way that we’ve seen Deebo. The reply to that's no. It’s uncommon. I’ve performed with numerous nice receivers, I don’t know any of ’em that would have lined up within the backfield and run between the tackles. You’ve bought Elijah Mitchell, who I feel numerous. When you have got two backs, normally you have got a man who’s somewhat bit extra of the velocity man, after which you have got the thumper. And the thumper for the 49ers is Deebo Samuel. He will get the powerful yards. And that’s the huge receiver. I’ve by no means seen something prefer it. I stated it final week throughout my broadcast with the 49ers-Packers that he’s my new favourite participant within the league. I feel the man’s wonderful, and I like all the pieces about him.

Q: What makes Cooper Kupp so good?

A: Before everything, what makes anyone nice is their need to be nice, and it’s clear that he works at it. However then he’s bought this ability set and the quickness the place he simply … he understands leverage. These Rams receivers, they run routes in addition to anybody within the sport. And actually, they run routes higher than anybody I’ve seen since in all probability one other pair of huge receivers with the Rams, in Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce. And they also’re well-coached, he’s well-coached, and he simply doesn’t tip something off. He solely ideas one thing if he desires you to then chew on that pretend. However he’s as a lot a technician working routes as anybody I’ve ever seen.

Q: How outstanding is Cam Akers’ comeback from an Achilles tear?

A: I can’t even fathom it. I discover it virtually incomprehensible that a man may tear an Achilles in camp and play that very same yr. And doesn’t appear to have any lingering results. (Chuckle) I've a sense the docs and the trainers with the Rams are gonna be getting numerous calls within the years forward about those who have Achilles tendon tears and the way they bought ’em again so quick.

Fox
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman
FOX

Q: If Eric Weddle can come again, why can’t Troy Aikman?

A: (Snicker) That's fairly wonderful. I’m shocked he hasn’t pulled a hamstring. That’s normally the very first thing that goes once you come off the sofa. I assume all that pickup basketball that he performed, he should have been going full velocity. He didn’t play basketball like I did, I might cherry choose, I’d keep on one finish and get the simple layup (snigger).

Q: George Kittle or Travis Kelce?

A: Oh, man. It’s sort of the Peyton Manning-Tom Brady query to me. I’ll allow you to choose it, I’ll take whoever you don’t take. I like what Kittle’s capable of do blocking, and all that. I bear in mind again after we [1990s Cowboys] misplaced Jay Novacek when he retired, we weren’t almost pretty much as good of an offense, and Jerry [Jones, owner] stated, “Hey we have to go get a man like Jay Novacek.” Yeah, properly, the place are they? There was Jay and there was Brent Jones in San Francisco, there simply weren’t any others within the league that would do these issues. And now, you look across the league, and nearly each staff has one or two, a few of ’em have two. We are likely to at instances discuss rather a lot concerning the nice younger quarterbacks. Our league’s in fine condition with numerous nice gifted tight ends, too.

Q: Odell Beckham Jr.’s resurgence?

A: It’s in all probability been a great match for him, to return in when he did … I hate to say perceive his position, as a result of I feel his position is huge … however to not need to be the featured man — to not say that he can’t be — however that’s not why he was introduced in, to be the featured man. And I feel in all probability at this stage of his profession it was a great factor, and the timing couldn’t have been higher. Initially it simply appeared like an abundance of riches, however then that very same week they picked him up they lose Robert Woods. He needed to be a contributor and play properly, and he’s actually come on. It’s a posh system in the best way that they do issues, and I feel that he’s finished actually a pleasant job.

Q: McVay integrating these stars equivalent to OBJ and Von Miller?

A: The problem, I feel, is for those who take nice gamers … essentially the most gifted groups aren’t all the time the very best groups. And there's this locker room part: Do guys take pleasure in enjoying with one another? That’s a giant a part of the chemistry. A few of that comes with profitable. However a few of it simply comes with personalities as as to if or not everyone’s suitable and attempting to mix in, that's the problem yearly. And you need to rebuild that, I consider, yearly despite the fact that you have got a core group of gamers that return. However once you’re bringing in gamers in the course of the season, guys like Von Miller and Odell Beckham, these sort of strikes, typically that may be disruptive. Generally bringing in higher gamers doesn’t make you a greater staff. Clearly they’ve finished an amazing job, the truth that they’re at this level within the season, and it looks as if everybody has slot in rather well.

Rams
Aaron Donald
AP

Q: Who's extra more likely to wreck this sport, Aaron Donald or Nick Bosa?

A: I might say Aaron Donald, if I needed to choose one. I feel the world of each these guys. I feel these are two of the very best offensive strains in soccer. The Rams are a greater pass-blocking offensive entrance, the 49ers are a greater run-blocking entrance, despite the fact that they’re each good within the different areas, and so I might give the nod to Donald for that purpose. After which additionally … Donald’s gonna get all the eye, however then you definitely even have Von Miller and Leonard Floyd that groups need to concern themselves with, too. Not that groups don’t need to concern themselves with Arik Armstead and the remainder of the crew.

Q: The 49ers have gotten to guys with out blitzing.

A: Yeah, they’re not a giant blitz staff, they rush 4 for essentially the most half. I feel DeMeco Ryans has finished an amazing job in his first yr, and he does simply sufficient at important moments in video games to make the most of some issues when offenses get somewhat bit relaxed towards a four-man rush. And the Rams are succesful, clearly, as properly, of doing that. They don’t essentially need to deliver individuals, both, in an effort to get to the quarterback.

Q: Von Miller may wreak havoc with Trent Williams’ ankle downside and Tom Compton at proper sort out.

A: Compton didn’t have his finest sport final week towards Inexperienced Bay. I feel although, with these rushers, for those who’re not on level as an offensive lineman, there’s any variety of ’em that may wreck your afternoon (chuckle). What occurs, normally in faculty, is that they take the very best athletes of the large guys and so they put ’em on protection. After which the blokes who aren’t pretty much as good of athletes, they placed on the offensive line. So now you’ve bought what's, for essentially the most half, a greater athlete who’s working ahead versus a lesser athlete who’s attempting to dam that individual whereas backpedaling. It’s virtually an unfair battle.

Q: It’s so exhausting to beat a staff thrice in a single season. Do the 49ers have a psychological edge?

A: It’s exhausting to beat a staff twice in a season. It’s exhausting to beat a staff six instances in three years. I feel there’s a psychological ingredient to this sport to each groups. On the one hand, you’ve bought the Rams, who sit there and say, “Gosh.” … There’s some guys on that staff who’ve by no means overwhelmed the 49ers, so there’s a component within the Rams’ thoughts saying, “Gosh, can we beat this staff?” There’s some doubt as a result of they haven’t finished it in so lengthy. After which for the 49ers, you sit there and suppose, “Man, we’ve received six in a row, that’s exhausting to do. Who does that towards good soccer groups? Can we do that a seventh time, when it actually issues, to get to the Tremendous Bowl?” So I feel there’s a psychological sport occurring with each groups.

Q: What's the one key to the NFC Championship sport?

A: I feel it’s actually a matter of safety greater than something … whether or not it’s the safety on the quarterbacks or whether or not these defensive cross rushers may get to the quarterback. I feel whoever protects the very best, greater than seemingly, is gonna be the staff that wins. These are the 2 finest pass-rushing groups in soccer with their entrance fours. Once you go right into a sport like this as a quarterback, they’re gonna need to make some throws underneath duress, and at important moments in video games, and it’s who’s gonna be capable of do the very best job of doing that.

Q: Who can be an X-factor for every staff?

A: An X-factor might be Van Jefferson or Tyler Higbee, [those] are two guys who I may see developing with a important play at a giant second when it’s wanted. As for the 49ers, I actually like this Brandon Aiyuk, I actually like him rather a lot, and I feel there’s a lot consideration paid to Deebo that this man’s good, however I feel it may very properly be Jauan Jennings.

NFL
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman
AP

Q: How bodily, how intense will this sport be?

A: Each these groups are so bodily. Particularly for the 49ers, it’s a model of soccer that you simply simply don’t see rather a lot in right this moment’s sport. The 49ers remind me numerous the great groups that I used to be part of in how bodily they're, their philosophy of … they simply wish to beat the s–t out of ya, and run the ball, after which take their photographs with the play-action. I feel it’s the important thing for each staff, once you play San Francisco, is you gotta match that depth and the physicality of the sport, particularly early. The Rams weren't fairly ready for it within the Week 10 sport the primary time they performed. I see that very same sort of sport, I feel it’s simply gonna be a bodily brawl, and it’s who could make the performs once they’re there. In these video games, Jimmy Johnson used to all the time say: It’s not who makes essentially the most huge performs, it’s who makes the fewest dangerous performs. In case you go on the market and also you don’t beat your self and also you don’t flip the ball over and also you don’t have penalties, these varieties of adverse performs — each these groups are actually exhausting to beat.

Q: Low-scoring?

A: I don’t see it as a shootout within the 30s. I see a 21-18, 21-17.

Q: Do the Rams have any sort of home-field benefit?

A: I do suppose they've a home-field benefit in the truth that they’re dressing in a locker room that they’re acquainted with, they know the sight strains, they’re acquainted with the sphere … the entire comforts of house. There’s one thing to be stated for that. However the true home-field benefit by way of the group … we did the Week 18 sport, it appeared like there have been extra 49ers followers than there have been Rams followers, and so they’re projecting that to be the case once more this week.

Q: What are your ideas on the additional time guidelines?

A: On the one hand, I feel that we will’t dismiss protection. I’ve been listening to for a very long time, protection wins championships, and now we’re saying, properly perhaps they don’t win championships. In case you’re gonna argue that protection wins championships, then I feel you’d need to say you just like the additional time guidelines. I feel that the video games being performed proper now, I wouldn’t thoughts seeing each groups get an opportunity, no matter whether or not it’s a landing or area objective or no matter occurs on the opening drive. However I’d hate for it to be a knee-jerk response primarily based on what occurred in that Buffalo-Kansas Metropolis sport. I feel everybody understands what the foundations are and what you need to do, and I feel for Buffalo, there have been ample alternatives to win that sport, to not even get that sport into additional time. If they alter the foundations, I’d be high-quality with it.

Q: The AFC Championship sport … Joe Burrow? I’ve seen him in comparison with Troy Aikman and Tom Brady.

A: I’m simply hoping that’s due to our appears to be like, that’s why he’s being in comparison with me. (Snicker) I feel the world of Joe Burrow, I like him. I beloved him when he got here out, I studied him somewhat bit when he was popping out of school [LSU], after which after assembly him, I discussed this to somebody the opposite day — he’s a sensible man, he’s a gifted participant — however you ask your self, “What separates the nice quarterbacks from the blokes who're good?” I feel it goes past the measurables, I feel it’s past what sort of expertise they've, it’s how are they wired? And this man’s bought an edge to him that I feel is required to be an amazing participant within the league. I like him rather a lot.

Bengals
Joe Burrow
Getty Photos

Q: Ja’Marr Chase?

A: He’s phenomenal. That’s an amazing tandem between these two, the truth that they already know one another. That’s gonna be one of many nice combos in soccer for the following decade.

Q: Are you anticipating a shootout much like Josh Allen-Patrick Mahomes?

A: I sort of am. I feel that it’s gonna be a higher-scoring sport than the sport I've.

Q: Mahomes struggled together with his mechanics early within the season. What have you ever seen about him?

A: I don’t know concerning the mechanics. He’s a extremely gifted man, and so I feel for those who have been to essentially nitpick on the mechanics, then I feel you're taking away a few of his creativity and the issues that make him who he's. That’s a high-quality line. I feel the largest level with Patrick was simply the best way groups have been enjoying him. What occurs, once you’re used to getting the large performs is then you definitely anticipate the large performs, and once you’re not getting them or the protection is enjoying you a sure means, it’s exhausting then to sort of change your mentality as a quarterback after which simply begin taking what the protection is providing you with, since you wish to push the ball down the sphere. I feel that was the true key for him was simply turning into extra affected person with how groups have been enjoying him and never forcing issues.

Q: Wouldn’t the teaching edge naturally go to Andy Reid towards Zac Taylor?

A: I feel there's something to be stated for the wealth of expertise in these video games that he has that he can draw upon. However everyone has to get there sooner or later. [Under Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson in 1992], our second yr to make the playoffs, we received the Tremendous Bowl. He didn’t have close to the expertise that [Buffalo coach] Marv Levy had. And nor did I versus [Bills QB] Jim Kelly. Would you prefer to have somebody that has a ton of expertise? Completely. Is that gonna resolve who wins this sport? No.

Q: The Bengals are a enjoyable staff to observe, aren’t they?

A: They're. It’s nice for the league, I feel. Like final yr with Cleveland, we noticed it a couple of years in the past with Jacksonville, and now this yr with Cincinnati, I simply love for these groups which have simply not had extra success for an prolonged time frame to then be within the place that they’re in and rally a complete fan base, I feel it’s superior. I feel it’s nice for the town of Cincinnati and it’s nice for Ohio and all Bengals followers. … I feel it’s good for our league.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post