Why ‘As We See It’ is ‘personal’ for creator Jason Katims

Creator Jason Katims is best-known for “Friday Evening Lights” and “Parenthood.”

However he stated his newest drama sequence, “As We See It,” is private. It’s based mostly on the 2018 Israeli sequence “On the Spectrum.” 

“I've a son who's on the spectrum,” Katims, 61, advised The Publish. “A number of years in the past, earlier than I began enthusiastic about this present, he was turning into a younger grownup – the age of those characters on this present. And I used to be considering so much about his story and his future. You open up the Autism Speaks web site, and also you see an image of a ravishing little boy. These children develop up. So, for a really private cause, I used to be enthusiastic about this material. Then I noticed the Israeli present.”

“As We See It,” premiering Jan. 21 on Amazon, follows Jack (Rick Glassman), Harrison (Albert Rutecki), and Violet (Sue Ann Pien), twentysomething roommates on the autism spectrum, as they try to maintain jobs, date, navigate the world and make associates  – with assist from Violet’s brother, Van (Chris Pang), Jack’s dad, Lou (Joe Mantegna) and their aide, Mandy (Sosie Bacon).

Jack (Rick Glassman, left), Violet (Sue Ann Pien, center) and Harrison (Albert Rutecki, right) stand in a row posing for photos in a living room.
Jack (Rick Glassman, left), Violet (Sue Ann Pien, middle) and Harrison (Albert Rutecki, proper) are three roommates on the autism spectrum navigating life of their twenties.
Ali Goldstein/Amazon Prime Video

Pc whiz Jack struggles to be well mannered when he feels that different folks aren’t as much as his stage of intelligence, which causes issues within the publishing home the place he works. Harrison, who's hooked on TV, struggles to depart the condo, overwhelmed with stimuli when he steps exterior. Violet’s intense need up to now results in some ill-fated flirting within the quick meals spot the place she works, and her older brother restricts her entry to courting apps on her telephone. 

Violet (Sue Ann Pien) stands in a room holding a phone looking serious.
Violet (Sue Ann Pien) needs up to now on “As We See It” however her brother doesn’t need her accessing courting apps on her telephone.
Ali Goldstein/Amazon Prime Video

Not one of the characters are instantly based mostly on Katims’  23-year-old son, Sawyer, he stated. 

“One of many issues that has helped me to jot down the present is that it’s not autobiographical. So, I don’t have to fret about, ‘Can I inform that story, ought to I not, it’s not mine to inform?’ I don’t have to fret about my son’s privateness or anyone else’s,” he stated. “I'm in fact drawing from my expertise and the folks I do know on the spectrum – not simply my son. It’s been a very long time now that I’ve been near this material.” 

Violet (Sue Ann Pien), Jack (Rick Glassman) and Harrison (Albert Rutecki) stand in a circle holding drinks on "As We See It."
Roommates Violet (Sue Ann Pien), Jack (Rick Glassman) and Harrison (Albert Rutecki) share drinks on “As We See It.”
Ali Goldstein/Amazon Prime Video

His son has not watched “As We See it” but, he stated. 

“The humorous factor about my son – he doesn’t like watching my exhibits. Sawyer is the most important soccer fan on this planet, and I can’t get him to observe ‘Friday Evening Lights.’ He’s like, ‘I can watch actual soccer.’ So I'll attempt to get him to observe [‘As We See It’], and we’ll see what occurs.”

Jasom Katims holds an Emmy
Jason Katims gained a Emmy in 2011 for Excellent Writing for a Drama Sequence for “Friday Evening Lights.”
/Invision/AP

Talking of “Friday Evening Lights,” which ran on NBC from 2006-2011, Katims stated that it’s troublesome for him to mirror on it from a distance.

Jeremy Sumpter as J.D. McCoy, Michael B. Jordan as Vince Howard (center), Jesse Plemons as Landry Clarke (right) stand outside in a line wearing football uniforms on "Friday Night Lights."
Jeremy Sumpter as J.D. McCoy, Michael B. Jordan as Vince Howard (middle), Jesse Plemons as Landry Clarke (proper) on “Friday Evening Lights.”
Invoice Information/NBC

“To me, ‘Friday Evening Lights,’ was such a seminal a part of my profession and my life. I do know lots of time has passed by now, but it surely doesn’t really feel that method to me,” he stated. “These characters really feel so near my coronary heart that I don’t actually take a look at it with the attitude that possibly I ought to be it with, as a result of it doesn’t really feel that far-off from me.

“Alternatively, I’m reminded of the time that’s handed once I placed on my TV and I see Jesse Plemons and Connie [Britton] and Michael B. Jordan and Kyle [Chandler]. After I see these folks whose careers have simply exploded on this superb approach, it provides me such pleasure to see their journeys since ‘Friday Evening Lights.’

“I really feel very proud that I had the chance to work with them on a present that I do know was as significant to them because it was to me.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post