Widow of NYPD Officer Jason Rivera blasts Alvin Bragg in moving eulogy

The widow of slain NYPD officer Jason Rivera ripped Manhattan District Lawyer Alvin Bragg in her husband’s eulogy at his funeral Friday morning, as she described the gut-wrenching second she discovered he’d been killed. 

“Though you received’t be right here anymore, I would like you to stay by means of me. This technique continues to fail us. We aren't protected anymore, not even the members of the service. I do know you have been bored with these legal guidelines, particularly those from the brand new DA. I hope he’s watching you communicate by means of me proper now,” Dominique Luzuriaga advised mourners at St. Patrick’s Cathedral as they gave her a standing ovation. 

"This system continues to fail us. We are not safe anymore, not even the members of the service," Dominique Luzuriaga told mourners at St. Patrick's Cathedral.
“This technique continues to fail us. We aren't protected anymore, not even the members of the service,” Dominique Luzuriaga advised mourners at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
Reuters
Dominique Luzuriaga, left, wife of, NYPD Officer Jason Rivera watches as his casket is loaded into a hearse outside St. Patrick's Cathedral after his funeral service, Friday, Jan. 28, 2022, in New York.
Dominique Luzuriaga watches as her husband’s casket is loaded right into a hearse exterior St. Patrick’s Cathedral after his funeral service on Jan. 28, 2022, in New York.
AP Picture/Yuki Iwamura

“I’m certain all of our blue household is drained too. However I promise, we promise, that your loss of life received’t be in useless.”

Front Page of the New York Post on Jan. 29, 2022.

As Luzuriaga delivered the emotionally charged remarks, Bragg was within the viewers listening, legislation enforcement sources stated. He additionally attended Rivera’s wake Thursday evening however his household walked into the again in order that they didn’t have to take a seat with him and later within the night, somebody advised the embattled DA that the household wouldn’t be popping out till he left. 

Whereas Luzuriaga struggled to carry again tears, she recounted the final moments she and Rivera spent collectively on the day he died and the way they’d been preventing earlier than he went into work that afternoon. 

“This Friday was completely different. We had an argument, you already know it’s onerous being a cop’s spouse generally. It’s onerous being affected person when plans have been canceled or we'd go days with out seeing one another,” Luzuriaga, sporting a black peacoat, stated.

The 'sea of blue' at Officer Jason Rivera's funeral Friday.
The “sea of blue” at Officer Jason Rivera’s funeral Friday.
Paul Martinka for NY Submit
Rivera's eulogy criticized D.A. Alvin Bragg, pictured above.
Dominique Rivera criticized Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg and his “legal guidelines” through the eulogy for her husband.
(Kevin C. Downs for The New York

“We have been arguing as a result of I didn’t need you to make use of your job telephone whereas we have been collectively. You have been so mad that you just took your LeBron jersey down, gave me your chain and put the lotions I gave you on your ashy arms within the bag and stated, ‘right here take them.’”

Luzuriaga stated when the 2 left Rivera’s residence, she determined to order an Uber as a substitute of driving with him as a result of she didn’t wish to proceed arguing. 

“You requested me if ‘you're certain that you just don’t need me to take you residence. It may be the final journey I provide you with.’ I stated ‘no’ and that was in all probability the most important mistake I ever made.” 

A hearse carries the casket of Jason Rivera.
A hearse carries the casket of Jason Rivera.
REUTERS
Officer Jason Rivera and Dominique Luzuriaga
Officer Jason Rivera and Dominique Luzuriaga have been married just a few months when he was killed.
Dominique Rivera/Instagram

Later that day, Rivera and his accomplice Officer Wilbert Mora have been responding to a home violence name in Harlem once they have been allegedly ambushed by profession legal Lashawn McNeil and killed.

Moments after, Luzuriaga noticed a notification pop up on her Citizen app that confirmed two cops had been shot in Harlem and stated that her “coronary heart dropped.” 

“I instantly texted you and requested you, ‘Are you okay? Please inform me you’re okay. I do know that you just’re mad proper now however simply textual content me, you’re okay, a minimum of inform me you’re busy.’ I get no response,” Luzuriaga stated. 

Rivera funeral
Officer Jason Rivera’s widow clutches a cross as his casket is carried out of St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
G.N.Miller/NY Submit

“We used to share areas on Discover My iPhone and once I checked yours, I see that you just’re at Harlem Hospital. I believed possibly you have been sitting on a perp however nonetheless, nothing.” 

Luzuriaga frantically known as and known as and began to really feel that “one thing wasn’t proper.”  

“Then I get a name asking if I’m Jason’s spouse, after which I needed to rush to the hospital,” she stated. 

The hearse carrying Officer Jason Rivera's body drives down 5th Ave.
The hearse carrying Officer Jason Rivera’s physique drives down fifth Ave.
Robert Miller
Officer Jason Rivera
Jason Rivera’s casket leaving St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
G.N.Miller/NYPost
Thousands of police officers flood Fifth Avenue outside the funeral service for NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.
1000's of law enforcement officials flood Fifth Avenue exterior the funeral service for NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.
Robert Miller

“Strolling all these steps seeing everyone gazing me was the scariest second I’ve skilled. No one was telling me something. Dozens of individuals have been surrounding me and but I felt alone. I couldn’t imagine you left me. Seeing you in a hospital mattress wrapped up in sheets, not listening to you once I was speaking to you broke me.

“I requested why. I stated to you, get up child, I’m right here. The little little bit of hope I had that you'd come again to life simply to say goodbye or say I like you another time has left. I used to be misplaced. I’m nonetheless misplaced. Immediately I’m nonetheless on this nightmare that I want I by no means had.” 

As she gathered her composure, Luzuriaga talked about how she met Rivera in elementary faculty and the way she by no means thought their “harmless childhood love would lead us to marriage.” 

Funeral for NYPD officer Jason Rivera
1000's of officers observe the procession of fallen NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.
Paul Martinka

“Even once we stated ‘I do’, we couldn’t imagine we stated it. October ninth was the happiest day of our lives. I do know I drove you loopy saying I like you so many instances that you'd cease replying I like you extra. However you made me really feel alive. You make me really feel alive,” Luzuriaga stated. 

She advised the packed church that Rivera “is so completely happy” that all of them got here to honor him and the service “is strictly how he would have wished to be remembered. Like a real hero.”

“You've gotten the entire nation on gridlock and though you received’t be right here anymore, I would like you to stay by means of me,” she continued. 

“I like you till the tip of time. We’ll take the watch from right here.”

An overhead view of NYPD pallbearers carrying the casket of NYPD Officer Jason Rivera out of St. Patrick's Cathedral.
An overhead view of NYPD pallbearers carrying the casket of NYPD Officer Jason Rivera out of St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
EPA

Gov. Kathy Hochul, who was current for the funeral, stated she cried as she listened to Luzuriaga’s speech. 

“To start with, it was heartbreaking to see the riveting ache that younger widow was experiencing… It actually introduced me to tears as I used to be sitting there,” Hochul stated throughout a press convention on Lengthy Island later Thursday. 

“It’s nonetheless onerous to consider what that younger girl was going by means of, her complete life forward of her and to lose her sweetheart who she had a crush on since they have been simply in grade faculty. So her ache was actual, it was searing to listen to and it’s going to be enduring for a very long time and we’re simply gonna hold her in our prayers.” 

When requested about Luzuriaga’s remarks geared toward him, Bragg responded in an announcement that “violence in opposition to law enforcement officials won't ever be tolerated.” 

NYPD Officer Jason Rivera died on January 21, 2022.
NYPD Officer Jason Rivera died on January 21, 2022.
AP

“I'm grieving and praying for Detective Rivera and Officer Mora at present and every single day, and my ideas are with their households and the NYPD,” Bragg stated. 

“My workplace will vigorously prosecute instances of violence in opposition to police and work to forestall mindless acts like this from ever taking place once more.”

Extra reporting by Larry Celona and Bernadette Hogan

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post