Brave NYC boy recalls ‘scary’ 20-minute ride with car thief

The plucky 11-year-old boy who was taken on a 20-minute joyride by a automotive thief over the weekend instructed The Put up Tuesday that he noticed proper by means of the criminal’s “weak” act.

Fast-witted Dahniel Richardson-Perez was sitting within the entrance passenger seat of his father’s SUV in East Harlem Sunday night time when a “random man” jumped inside, claiming to know his dad.

“He stated he met my dad at a bar however my dad doesn’t go to bars. I knew he was mendacity,” the street-smart child recalled.

“I requested him, ‘What’s my dad’s title’ and he couldn’t reply. That’s once I thought he was only a one that carjacked our automotive.”

The center schooler’s dad, 36-year-old David Perez, had left the automotive operating on Third Avenue close to East 121st Avenue as he made a fast cease for groceries at Metropolis Contemporary grocery store on his means house in East Harlem.

“I left my keys within the ignition, however I didn’t suppose something would occur,” stated Perez, a tattoo artist, including that he was gone for only a few minutes.

When he received out of the shop, groceries in hand, and didn’t see his automotive there, Perez first assumed he will need to have parked elsewhere.

David Richardson-Perez 36 years-old and his son Dahniel Richardson-Perez 11 years-old talks to a New York Post reporter about the carjacking; and how Dahniel used his new iPhone 11 to text his father "DAD HELP" while he was in his father's vehicle when it was carjacked in Harlem on Sunday.
David Richardson-Perez and the police used monitoring on his son Dahniel Richardson-Perez’s cellphone to seek out him.
G.N.Miller/NYPost

“Then it hit me, my automotive’s gone and my 11-year-old son is within the automotive,” he stated.

His son, in the meantime, was attempting to remain calm because the thief drove round erratically, inflicting injury to each the stolen trip and an unoccupied automotive parked close by, in line with cops.

“It was very scary,” Dahniel stated. “I simply stayed quiet, sort of panicking a bit bit.”

He then pulled out his new iPhone and texted his father: “Dad assist.”

The thief wanted for stealing a man’s car in East Harlem and then going on a terrifying 20-minute joyride with the owner’s 11-year-old son inside is captured on new surveillance footage.
Dahniel was taken on a terrifying 20-minute joyride when his dad’s automotive was stolen on Sunday.
DCPI

“These two phrases actually hit me,” recalled the still-shaken dad, who had jumped right into a cop automotive with officers from the twenty fifth Precinct whereas monitoring Dahniel’s location on his cellphone.

“He known as me, and once I picked up the cellphone he was hysterically crying, and I instructed him, ‘Hear, I would like you to place your cellphone away and protect the battery, we’re monitoring your cellphone’ and I hung up on him so I might proceed monitoring him,” Perez remembered.

“At one level, it crossed my thoughts, I may not get my son again,” Perez stated. “What if the man was a psycho? What if it was a kidnapping?”

The courageous boy, a baritone participant who's within the sixth grade at Renaissance College of the Arts in East Harlem, stated the suspect tried to grab the cellphone — “however he was too weak.”

David Richardson-Perez 36 years-old and his son Dahniel Richardson-Perez 11 years-old talks to a New York Post reporter about the car theft; and how Dahniel used his new iPhone 11 to text his father "DAD HELP" while he was in his father's vehicle when it was stolen in Harlem on Sunday.
Dahniel used his iPhone to textual content his father, “Dad assist” whereas he was within the car with the thief in Harlem on Sunday.
G.N.Miller/NYPost

“He was a thin man, with a beard,” Dahniel recalled. “I pulled the cellphone away from him. He was drunk, so I assume that made him weaker.”

Apparently spooked, the thief — who was nonetheless on the unfastened Tuesday — ended up dropping Dahniel off unhurt at Lafayette and Bolton avenues within the Fort Hill part of the Bronx, greater than 5 miles away.

The NYPD on Tuesday launched video of the terrifying encounter and a photograph of the suspect, who was noticed allegedly stealing a cellphone charger contained in the BP gasoline station in Queens.

The sharp child stated of the expertise: “It was scary however one thing to recollect.”

“Reuniting was like a complete weight lifted off my shoulders. I received my son again,” his father stated.

The thief wanted for stealing a man’s car in East Harlem and then going on a terrifying 20-minute joyride with the owner’s 11-year-old son inside is captured on new surveillance footage.
Police are nonetheless in search of the suspect — described by the 11-year-old as “skinny” and bearded — who stole Richardson-Perez’s SUV.
DCPI

The incident was “essentially the most scary ordeal I've ever skilled in my life,” Perez added.

“I thank God my son is protected. God protected my son,” stated the boy’s mother, Noheme Richardson-Perez.

“My son was accountable sufficient to make use of his cellphone and name for assist,” she stated.

In hindsight, the dad stated he by no means would have left the keys in his automotive, a 2017 Nissan Rogue, which was discovered 5 hours later in Queens.

“You by no means suppose one thing like that may ever occur to you, however apparently, round right here that’s what occurs,” he stated.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post