Breezy Johnson, top US skier, out of Olympics after ‘brutal’ crash

American skier Breezy Johnson will miss the 2022 Olympics following two crashes in coaching that resulted in torn cartilage in her knee.

Johnson, who entered 2022 second in snowboarding’s downhill World Cup, wrote on Instagram that she thought-about competing anyway but it surely was neither “sensible” nor “good.”

“I needed so badly to comprehend my dream of turning into an Olympic champion,” she wrote. “To bask within the glow of that sundown. However the actuality is that the dangers, and there are all the time dangers, are not price it.”

Johnson first handled harm in 2018, tearing her proper ACL. After lacking all of 2019, she then tore her left PCL, MCL and joint capsule, leading to one other lengthy restoration.

Upon her return, Johnson skied properly in 2020 and 2021. She was thought-about the highest American alpine medal contender apart from Mikaela Shiffrin. However a crash in Cortina, Italy final week by which Johnson flew into the netting bordering the course resulted in torn cartilage, which might require surgical procedure.

Breezy Johnson competes in the Women's Super-G event at the FIS Alpine skiing World cup
Breezy Johnson competes within the Ladies’s Tremendous-G occasion on the FIS Alpine snowboarding World cup
AFP through Getty Photos

“This sport is brutal,” Johnson wrote on Instagram. “Somebody requested me (Monday) why we do it. And at instances like these you marvel. However the fact is that, for me, the sensation of racing is the sensation of being actually alive, and so I'll preserve coming again each time. As a result of that feeling of snowboarding quick is price every part.

“Fortunately, I’ve been an enormous fan of ski racing since I used to be a bit child. So whereas I all the time needed to win an Olympic gold medal, I've lots of different objectives in ski racing. Objectives that I can work on for the subsequent 4 years. Earlier than I return, hopefully, to the hill that stole this Olympic dream from me, for an additional shot at that gold medal.”

The Winter Olympics start subsequent week in Beijing.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post