Israel Adesanya beats Robert Whittaker to retain UFC middleweight title

HOUSTON — Israel Adesanya defeated Robert Whittaker by unanimous determination to retain his title and preserve management of the middleweight division at UFC 271 on Saturday evening.

Adesanya (23-1) gained his eleventh straight middleweight combat within the UFC and remained undefeated. The judges scored it 48-47, 48-47, 49-46 in favor of Adesanya, who has gained all 4 of his title defenses — three by unanimous determination and one by knockout.

“Seven out of 10,” Adesanya stated of his efficiency. “Not dangerous. Good evening within the workplace. Good chess match.”

The combat, which was a rematch of Adesanya’s title win over Whittaker (23-6) by second-round knockout at UFC 243 in 2019, was even all through, with Whittaker taking the champion down a number of occasions. However, Adesanya additionally landed punches to Whittaker’s face and kicks to his ribs.

Following the bout, Adesanya stated he advised Whittaker that he revered him.

“We’re simply two guys attempting to be the perfect on the earth, however tonight, I’m the perfect on the earth,” Adesanya stated.

After Adesanya managed a lot of the first spherical, Whittaker rebounded within the second to take the champion down in opposition to the cage halfway by means of the spherical and land a pair punches to the face. However, Adesanya was in a position to get out of Whittaker’s maintain and land a pair punches.

Israel Adesanya
Israel Adesanya
Getty Pictures

Following a reasonably even third spherical, Whittaker took down Adesanya 1 1/2 minutes into the fourth spherical and acquired on the champion’s again to attempt to lock in a choke, however Adesanya once more broke freed from the maintain.

Within the ultimate spherical, Whittaker tried twice to take Adesanya down, however the champion acquired up each occasions. The 2 locked up a number of occasions in opposition to the cage, with Adesanya in a position to break from of Whittaker’s grasp every time and touchdown punches to Whittaker’s face.

“This one was higher than the primary one,” Whittaker stated. “I assumed I did sufficient. I assumed I did sufficient. Breaking it down, I assumed I misplaced the primary spherical. I put myself collectively. I feel I beat him to each punch. I had takedowns. I assumed I did sufficient. It's what it's. That’s how work goes within the workplace.”

Whittaker stated he thought he beat Adesanya.

“Don’t get me fallacious, I don’t need this popping up in a spotlight reel screaming ‘Robert thinks he gained, blah, blah, blah,’” Whittaker stated. “I’m not taking something away from him. He gained. Actually, he gained. He’s acquired the belt, that’s the way it works. The judges gave it to him. That’s the sport. That’s the enterprise.”

The subsequent contender for the UFC middleweight title may be Jared Cannonier (15-5), who knocked out Derek Brunson (23-8) within the second spherical of their combat earlier within the evening.

After being taken down 3 times within the first spherical, Cannonier, the third-ranked middleweight, fought again within the second spherical, elbowing the fourth-ranked Brunson and dazing him earlier than taking him all the way down to the mat and knocking Brunson out with punches to the pinnacle, forcing the referee to finish it.

Cannonier stated within the post-fight interview within the Octagon he needed the subsequent shot on the middleweight champion, demanding UFC president Dana White, who was cage aspect, give him the chance.

White stated within the post-fight press convention he wouldn’t say no to Cannonier, however he was non-committal on a date for a title combat between Cannonier and Adesanya regardless of the champion saying within the post-fight press convention that the 2 ought to combat in June.

“I wasn’t actually trying previous Robert,” Adesanya stated. “I took him significantly and proper all the best way to the final bell I knew he was harmful. … I had enjoyable in there. I simply wish to watch it and again and examine that combat. I stay up for recent meat.”

Within the co-main occasion, Tai Tuivasa (14-3) knocked out Houston native and third-ranked heavyweight Derrick Lewis (26-7) within the second spherical. Tuivasa, who has gained 5 straight fights by knockout, recovered from a primary spherical through which he was taken to the mat twice.

“I acquired just a few bumps on the pinnacle, that’s for certain,” Tuivasa stated. “It was nothing. I didn’t really feel I used to be in an excessive amount of hazard. He’s the knockout king. He’s acquired large fingers. … I positively felt him, however I used to be nonetheless within the sport.”

Tuivasa got here out within the second spherical touchdown punches on Lewis and backing him as much as the cage earlier than touchdown a proper elbow to the left aspect of his face, knocking out Lewis, who fell face-first onto the mat.

Lewis has misplaced two of his final three fights, with each losses coming in Houston.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post