Seth Curry hopes to bring much-missed shooting ability to Nets

MIAMI — Some thought being married to the coach’s daughter would defend Seth Curry from getting traded. 

However each Curry and his spouse had been across the NBA lengthy sufficient to know higher. And neither was precisely shocked when he was dealt to the Nets within the James Harden-Ben Simmons blockbuster commerce

“Some individuals weren’t too joyful about it, and I feel I do know who that's,” Curry mentioned jokingly earlier than the Nets confronted the Warmth on Saturday, attempting to snap a 10-game skid. “I’m able to profit from the chance. I’m optimistic about it. Clearly plenty of expertise right here, plenty of guys who love the sport and know easy methods to play, a fantastic teaching employees and group. I’m used to coming in and attempting to slot in straight away.” 

Curry, brother of Warriors famous person Stephen Curry, is married to 76ers coach Doc Rivers’ daughter Callie. With the Harden-Simmons deal percolating for awhile, Curry, who was acquired by the Sixers a bit over a 12 months in the past in a commerce with the Mavericks, had an concept he may very well be transferring up I-95. 

Seth Curry
Seth Curry
Getty Photos

“There are a number of guys that knew that this probably may occur. And Seth and Callie had been clearly knowledgeable. … Clearly Ben, after which Seth had a fairly good inkling that this might occur,” Rivers mentioned. 

“They discuss on a regular basis. She had the identical sense I did about it, that it may occur. She grew up across the league. I did [too]. I do know stuff can change any minute,” added Curry, who's unable to play for the Nets till Harden passes his 76ers bodily. 

“I had a sense if this commerce did go down I used to be going to be part of it. I used to be making ready for the final week or so. I form of ready my thoughts for it, and I’m simply wanting ahead to the following alternative. I really feel I can match into plenty of totally different conditions: Play with the ball, play with out the ball. I’m simply wanting ahead into coming right here and attempting to assist these guys in no matter approach I can.” 

Curry will clearly assist along with his stroke. 

Joe Harris’ 3-point share is tops amongst all lively gamers, however there are questions relating to whether or not he’ll return from his ankle damage this season. So the Nets went out and bought the No. 2 lively participant. Curry’s .437 profession share is fifth all-time, and he has hit at the very least 40 p.c every of the final six years. 

After averaging 21.0 factors on misprint-like .596 taking pictures from deep in final 12 months’s second-round playoff exit versus Atlanta, Curry got here into Saturday averaging a career-high 15.0 factors regardless of a latest mini-slump. 

Seth Curry
Seth Curry brings his elite three-point taking pictures to the Nets.
NBAE through Getty Photos

After studying to area the ground for Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum in Portland, then Luka Doncic in Dallas and eventually Joel Embiid in Philadelphia, Curry is used to stars and the changes it takes to play alongside them. Enjoying with Kyrie Irving (when he performs) and Kevin Durant (as soon as he returns) will likely be no totally different. 

“At the start, you have got two of the perfect basketball gamers to select up a ball. You’ve obtained Kyrie and KD, who're nice at what they do. They draw plenty of consideration; they do it themselves and create for different individuals,” Curry mentioned. “I’m attempting to determine how methods to assist these guys. 

“All through my profession, I’ve been someone who has slot in with several types of star expertise, whether or not it’s Luka, Dame and CJ, clearly Joel. It didn’t take me lengthy to get used to taking part in with these guys, so I’m going to only attempt to are available and do what I do and attempt to do it inside the idea of the crew.” 

Curry — a teammate of Irving’s at Duke — is underneath contract for subsequent season at $8.5 million. However the Nets can lengthen him in the summertime, and he has a fairly outstanding backer. 

“Seth clearly has was a terrific NBA participant. He’s an elite shooter, catch-and-shoot, off the bounce. He’s artful and he’s extremely environment friendly,” mentioned Nets coach Steve Nash, including Curry “will assist us win.” 

Having dropped 10 straight, they want that assist ASAP.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post