Cam Reddish finally has a chance to show Knicks what he can do

In simply over a month and a half since he was traded to the Knicks, Cam Reddish has already run the gamut of experiences in New York.

The third-year wing, who value the Knicks a first-round decide, sat out the primary 4 video games with an ankle harm, then performed sporadically over a stretch along with his lack of minutes prompting the Backyard crowd to chant, “We would like Reddish.” He then sat for 2 extra video games however has since performed in every of the Knicks’ final eight video games, getting double-digit minutes in seven of them, partly due to accidents to RJ Barrett and Quentin Grimes.

Now, there are simply 21 video games left within the season, however with Grimes anticipated to be sidelined for not less than a piece of them and the Knicks falling additional out of the playoff hunt, Reddish has an essential alternative to point out what he can do.

“I’m attempting to work my manner in,” Reddish mentioned Tuesday after observe. “Simply attempting to make the precise play, actually. Not attempting to drive it an excessive amount of. However yeah, I believe the final 20 video games are undoubtedly a great spot to begin.”

The 22-year-old Reddish, who's beneath contract with the Knicks for not less than yet another season, has nonetheless but to get the true, constant minutes that followers hoped for when he arrived in New York attempting to untap his potential.

Cam Reddish reacts while on the court during the fourth quarter of a Knicks game
Cam Reddish reacts whereas on the court docket through the fourth quarter of a Knicks sport
Charles Wenzelberg

However the No. 10-overall decide in 2019, who had requested a commerce from the Hawks final summer season so he might tackle a much bigger function elsewhere, insists he's trusting the method.

“I’ve simply been within the gymnasium,” Reddish mentioned. “I really feel like the remaining will deal with itself. I’m not too nervous about my minutes at this second. I do know what I’m able to doing on the ground, so when that point comes I simply wish to be prepared. I’m not wired over the minutes at this second.”

In 11 video games as a Knick, the Duke product is averaging 5.4 factors in 12.5 minutes per sport whereas capturing 36.4 p.c from the sphere and 22.7 p.c from deep.

Cam Reddish controls the ball in front of Miami Heat guard Kyle Lowry
Cam Reddish controls the ball in entrance of Miami Warmth guard Kyle Lowry
Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports activities

The ultimate 21 video games of the season may very well be an essential showcase for each Reddish and the Knicks as they struggle to determine their future collectively. Staff president Leon Rose rejected a Lakers provide for Reddish on the commerce deadline, regardless of coach Tom Thibodeau not being all-in on buying Reddish within the first place, The Publish’s Marc Berman beforehand reported.

Requested whether or not he sees himself as a part of the Knicks’ future, Reddish mentioned sure, however famous he solely controls a part of that call.

“I believe I can do all of it,” Reddish mentioned. “So, sure. However I don’t know the plans of all people else. I’m simply centered on being within the gymnasium.”

Cam Reddish after a Knicks practice
Cam Reddish after a Knicks observe
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Publish

Thibodeau sounded inspired by the 16-plus minutes Reddish turned in on Sunday towards the 76ers as he recorded six factors (on 3 of 6 capturing), three rebounds, two assists, one steal, one block and two turnovers.

“I like the way in which he performed in our final sport,” Thibodeau mentioned. “He gave us good exercise. So, I believe he’s beginning to get somewhat extra comfy. He’s actually working effectively. He is available in day-after-day. And so I believe he's beginning to get a great really feel for it.”

Reddish agreed that he's feeling extra comfy with the Knicks, who will begin a frightening seven-game highway journey towards the 76ers on Wednesday in Philadelphia.

As for the pleas from the fan base for him to play extra, Reddish mentioned he feels the assist.

“I see it all over the place — I can’t not see it,” he mentioned. “However I attempt to simply keep grounded. I admire all of the love, I actually, actually do. However I’m simply attempting to be prepared.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post