D.J. Reed has sights set on being Jets top cornerback

Chances are you'll not have identified a lot about D.J. Reed earlier than he signed with the Jets final week, however he’s fairly positive you’ll know a lot quickly.

The cornerback, who signed a three-year, $33 million contract, doesn't lack any confidence.

“I really feel like I’m a CB1,” Reed stated. “I believe it’s apparent, however folks take a look at my peak and say, ‘Oh, he’s a superb CB2.’ Nicely, like, no. In the event you watch the tape from final 12 months and the 12 months earlier than that, it’s CB1. My stats in comparison with the All-Professionals final 12 months — from Jalen Ramsey to A.J. Terrell to, who else was it? J.C. Jackson? — my stats are with these guys. And I’m going to take one other step this 12 months.”

Reed is 5-foot-9 and performed nickel early in his profession with the 49ers, however he has been an outdoor nook in Seattle for the previous two years. The Jets are bringing him in to bolster a secondary that struggled mightily final season, ending thirtieth in cross protection.

D.J. Reed spent the final two years with the Seahawks earlier than signing as a free agent with the Jets.
Getty Photographs

Reed, 25, has spectacular statistics. He allowed 35 catches on 68 targets final 12 months for 383 yards, two touchdowns and grabbed two interceptions in 606 protection snaps, per Professional Soccer Focus. He graded out because the eighth-best cornerback within the NFL by PFF.

In line with NextGen Stats, opposing passers accomplished minus-11.9 % of their makes an attempt than anticipated when focusing on Reed, which was fourth within the NFL. By comparability, the Jets’ protection allowed plus-3.2 % of passes to be accomplished over expectation, the worst within the NFL.

The plan is for Reed to be the Jets’ proper cornerback, that's the place he thrived in Seattle. Reed is aware of Robert Saleh’s system from their days collectively in San Francisco.

You don’t have to fret about Reed not having the arrogance to regulate to his new workforce.

“Truthfully, man, I knew I used to be gifted, even in highschool,” Reed stated. “Even once I had no gives, I knew I used to be particular. I knew that God created me as his masterpiece. I knew that my work ethic was unmatched. … I’ve all the time been assured.”

Reed’s perception in himself as one of many prime cornerbacks within the NFL is why he was insulted by the Seahawks’ provide to stay in Seattle, the place he hoped to remain.

“They made me a suggestion, however the provide, in my view and my agent’s opinion, was disrespectful for my stage of play and the participant I'm,” Reed stated. “I’m not going to get into specifics, as a result of I don’t wish to bash anyone or do something like that, however I undoubtedly know my value needs to be extra. That’s how I really feel. Like I stated, I’m grateful to be a Jet.”

Reed stated he has “nothing however love” for Seahawks common supervisor John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll for giving him an opportunity there, however he was upset with the provide they made to maintain him.

“I felt disrespected,” Reed stated.

The Jets had a youth motion within the secondary final 12 months with rookie Bradin Echols and second-year participant Bryce Corridor beginning at exterior cornerback, and rookie Michael Carter II beginning at nickel. The Jets signed Reed and security Jordan Whitehead so as to add some expertise to their secondary.

“I'd name myself a younger veteran,” Reed stated. “Clearly, I play good as a result of I do know the sport and I talk, and I wish to study and I’m nonetheless studying. However on prime of that I’m solely 25 years previous so I’m nonetheless younger.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post