Emma Raducanu in middle of tennis storm over ‘princess’ criticism

Emma Raducanu desires everybody to know her large sponsorship offers haven’t modified her priorities.

The 19-year-old clapped again at critics, most notably former world No. 1 Kim Clijsters, who seemingly known as out Raducanu for her “princess” perspective and lack of give attention to tennis following her second-round exit from the Miami Open.

“Possibly you simply see, on the information or on social media, me signing this or that deal and I really feel prefer it’s fairly deceptive as a result of I’m doing 5, six hours a day [of training], I’m on the membership for 12 hours a day,” Raducanu mentioned. “However I throw out one submit within the automobile on the best way to apply and swiftly it’s, ‘I don’t give attention to tennis.’

“I feel that it's unfair but it surely’s one thing I've discovered to cope with and grow to be a bit extra insensitive to the surface noise.

“On the finish of the day, I really feel like my days [with sponsors] are fairly restricted. I’m not doing loopy days. I’m doing three, 4 days each quarter, so it’s actually not that a lot.”

Kim Clijsters
Kim Clijsters made feedback that many have taken to be about Emma Raducanu
AP
Emma Raducanu
Raducanu has solely gained 4 of her 12 matches for the reason that U.S. Open
AP

In an interview about Iga Swiatek, 20, changing into the brand new top-ranked participant on the planet, Clijsters made unflattering feedback reportedly about Raducanu and her strategy to tennis stardom.

“To see Iga develop as a tennis participant, it has been so lovely for me,” Clijsters mentioned to the WTA Tour web site. “There’s a sure kind of focus that's on tennis, and tennis solely. There’s a drive there that I like very a lot – a drive that I acknowledge. She’s had nice outcomes prior to now, however she nonetheless desires to enhance.

“We’ve seen others that type of take a step again and say, `Oh, I’ve gained a Slam now, I’ve made it. There’s sponsors coming in and I get handled like a princess wherever I'm going.’ Simply since you’re the No. 1 participant and have gained Slams, doesn’t imply you must deal with different individuals in a different way.

“I really feel like Ash Barty did that amazingly, and I feel Iga has that focus, too. There’s a nonetheless quite a lot of respect for the opposite individuals round her.”

Since skyrocketing to fame after successful the 2021 U.S. Open, Raducanu has penned offers with Dior, British Airways, Tiffany & Co., Vodafone and Evian. On Monday, the teenager phenom introduced a new partnership with Porsche.

Whereas her variety of partnerships continues to develop, Raducanu has struggled on the court docket, dropping eight of the 12 matches she’s performed for the reason that U.S. Open. On Thursday, the No. 13-ranked participant was defeated 3-6 6-4 7-5 by Katerina Siniakova within the Miami Open.

Daniela Hantuchova
Daniela Hantuchova claimed Raducanu has misplaced the respect of different tennis gamers.
Icon Sportswire by way of Getty Photos

Following the defeat, Amazon Prime tennis analyst Daniela Hantuchova mentioned that “All of the locker room respect [Raducanu] had after the US Open is now type of going away.”

Tennis star Nick Kyrgios defended Raducanu tweeting Sunday “What’s with outdated retired gamers giving their opinion on our stars now?”I like A-rod [Andy Roddick] and I agree all of us want to relax with the rackets and all that, however geezus, I learn an article a couple of previous feminine participant speaking about Raducanu, no offence however she is a far far larger identify already.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post