Ex-world champ Raul Marquez has split duties as son Giovanni makes pro debut

Raul Marquez might be in sweats as he formally welcomes his son into the game that introduced him a lot success. For the remainder of the evening, nevertheless, he'll want a change of garments. 

Marquez – who reigned as the previous mild middleweight World Champion and represented the US on the 1992 Olympics – trains his son, 21-year-old Giovanni, who's making his skilled debut Friday evening in opposition to Nelson Morales. 

Nicknamed El Diamante, Raul gained the primary 25 fights of his profession earlier than capturing the IBF mild middleweight world title in 1997, and efficiently defended his belt twice. He completed with a report of 41-4 earlier than retiring in 2008.  

Raul might be in Giovanni’s nook, teaching his son by means of his first skilled combat, a long-awaited second for the 2. As his son’s milestone second wraps up, nevertheless, Raul’s day job, and essential duties for the evening, begin. 

Raul Marquez poses with his light middleweight world title belt.
Raul Marquez poses along with his mild middleweight world title belt.
Getty Pictures
Raul Marquez
Raul Marquez
Getty Pictures

As a Showtime Championship Boxing and ShoBox broadcaster, Raul, after his son’s broadcast-opening combat, will name the remainder of Showtime’s card, which takes place in Deadwood Mountain Grand Resort in Deadwood, S.D., alongside Corridor of Famer Barry Tomkins and Brian Campbell – no matter his son’s end result. 

“It will be loopy to say that I’m not gonna be nervous,” Raul advised The Publish. “He's my son. There might be some form of nerves. However I’ve all the time stated all through this entire coaching camp: Watching Giovanni work, and seeing that he’s in nice form, and that nothing fazes him, it provides me some ease. I'm an emotional particular person, I'm a prideful particular person. I like pleasure. I like this, I like competitors, I’m a really aggressive man. 

“I’m gonna be nice. I’m gonna be good. I believe Giovanni may be very targeted. He’s gonna handle enterprise, and as soon as he takes care of enterprise, I’ll do what I've to do.” It's believed to be the primary time within the sport a fighter’s father has each educated him/been in his nook throughout the combat after which later commentate on that very same card. 

Raul Marquez in training with Giovanni.
Raul Marquez in coaching with Giovanni.
Courtesy of SHOWTIME/Andrew Hemingway

Raul has by no means had something near this added layer of emotion and stakes all through his broadcasting profession, which began whereas he was nonetheless preventing and consists of the final 10 years with Showtime. It is a second he and his son have spent years working in the direction of, envisioned because the official begin of one other profitable boxing profession within the household. 

Which, in fact, begs the query: What if Giovanni loses?

“Actually, I’m not fearful about Giovanni not successful. He’s gonna win the combat, that’s how assured I'm. However say he doesn’t look good in successful, yeah I’m gonna be a bit of bit upset however I've to do what I've to do to focus. Deal with my job, as a result of that’s what pays the payments proper now, as a result of Giovanni’s not making $30 million per combat but,” Raul stated with fun and smiled. “However hopefully someday he'll. I've to give attention to my job and do what I've to do. After which we'll fear about his efficiency after the combat.” 

Raul Marquez in training with Giovanni.
Raul Marquez in coaching with Giovanni.
Courtesy of SHOWTIME/Andrew Hemingway

Raul already has his go well with picked out for TV – and can convey it with him in an additional bag. He’ll journey along with his son to the combat, which might be a full-family affair, along with his mom and brothers additionally in attendance. 

After his son’s combat, he’ll get modified in Giovanni’s locker room and deal with any media duties earlier than becoming a member of Tompkins and Campbell on digicam for the remainder of the evening.  

Giovanni, who began boxing at 12, is among the sport’s prime prospects. A adorned beginner, he compiled a 75-12 beginner report and gained the Nationwide Golden Gloves 152-pound championship – a second Raul remembers discovering out whereas he was on air – earlier than just lately turning professional. 

Raul and Giovanni Marquez
Raul and Giovanni Marquez
Courtesy of SHOWTIME/Andrew Hemingway

“From a really younger age, boxing has all the time been taught,” Giovanni advised The Publish. “On the dinner desk, holidays, issues of that nature, so I used to be already concerned within the sport at a really younger age. Being that boxing is such a harmful and brutal sport, boxing was by no means pushed on myself or my brothers by my father. It’s one thing all of us wished to do on our personal. I believe I wished to begin after my brothers had began. That’s actually what motivated me to begin. I began boxing, fell in love with the game and haven’t seemed again since.” 

Giovanni’s older brothers, Arturo and R.J., boxed on the beginner degree. 

As he embarks on his skilled profession, the Marquez duo hope Giovanni can mirror his father’s early-career success – successful the primary 25 fights and incomes a world title alternative. Raul has a protracted, lengthy approach to go earlier than even serious about that. However to get there, he has maybe the absolute best information.

“He is aware of the ins and outs of this sport.” Giovanni stated. “The smallest little particulars that he reveals me, somebody who hasn’t been within the ring at that degree, they’re not gonna have the ability to give that to the particular person they’re coaching. Having him, it's really a blessing. I believe will probably be a key a part of my success sooner or later.” 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post