LeBron James feels ‘horrible’ after injury in Lakers heartbreaker

LeBron James’ ankle harm in Sunday’s crushing 116-108 loss to the Pelicans couldn’t come at a worse time.

With simply eight video games left within the common season, the 31-43 Lakers are sitting within the tenth spot within the Western Convention with one of many hardest remaining schedules within the league and a one-game lead over the Spurs to easily qualify for the play-in match. The loss dropped the Lakers behind the Pelicans within the standings and gave New Orleans the possibly essential tie-breaker.

James stated his left ankle felt “horrible” after he turned it within the first half of Sunday’s loss to New Orleans.  

“I imply, I don't know how I completed the sport, to be trustworthy, after watching that replay. It’s fairly nasty,” James stated after ending with 39 factors, 9 rebounds and 5 assists.

James’ left ankle was wrapped after the sport, and he was strolling with a limp. The Lakers’ main scorer is questionable for Tuesday’s recreation in Dallas.

LeBron James drives to the basket against the Pelicans on March 27, 2022.
LeBron James drives to the basket towards the Pelicans on March 27, 2022.
AP

“S–t I hope not, as a result of I hate lacking video games. That’s not in my nature,” James stated, including that he had already began remedy on the ankle earlier than leaving the sector Sunday. He'll obtain “across the clock” remedy.

“It’s horrible proper now. And sadly, we’re about to hop on a flight, too. See what occurs day-to-day. Nevertheless it’s fairly sore proper now.”

James got here down on his left ankle awkwardly when he stepped on Pelicans middle Jaxson Hayes’ sneaker with 10:09 remaining within the second quarter whereas the Lakers have been up 36-29. He remained within the recreation, however stated he “misplaced all explosiveness” after the harm.

“I used to be stepping into for an offensive rebound and me and Jaxson mainly stepped on the similar time,” James stated. “He bought his foot on the bottom earlier than I may get my foot again on the hardwood. I stepped on his foot and rolled my ankle.”

James stated he would have “most likely not” completed the sport, if the Lakers weren’t in such a vital stretch with a play-in spherical spot on the road.

“I imply, from the time I turned my ankle I felt a pointy ache run up my leg. It began getting sizzling. And I’ve been there earlier than with ankle sprains earlier than,” he stated. “However I didn’t wish to come out of the sport as a result of I understood [the importance]. I imply, I simply needed to win the sport. I understood how large of a recreation it was for us.”

Lakers coach Frank Vogel referred to as it a “robust” state of affairs.

“It’s simply been that sort of season. He was simply in an unbelievable groove proper round then, and credit score him for toughing it out. However you'll be able to see he was restricted on it considerably the remainder of the best way. However he battled via it.”

The Lakers will want a wholesome James to compete for a spot within the play-in match, which begins April 12 and concludes April 15.

Though he’s “fairly banged with” with the ankle harm, James stated, “I nonetheless really feel like if I’m on the ground and I could make issues occur then we nonetheless bought a fairly good likelihood to make one thing out of this season.”

LeBron James during the end of the Lakers' loss to the Pelicans.
LeBron James through the finish of the Lakers’ loss to the Pelicans.
USA TODAY Sports activities

James’ harm provides to the Lakers’ season-long struggles. He returned to the lineup earlier this month after being sidelines with a nagging knee harm all through February.

The Lakers have additionally been with out its star middle in Antony Davis, who’s been sidelined since Feb. 16 with a foot harm. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post