Matthew Lawrence recalls ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ co-star Robin Williams’ ‘serious’ advice

Matthew Lawrence can look again on filming the 1993 comedy “Mrs. Doubtfire” with love.

The 42-year-old appeared on the first annual ’90s Con on Saturday the place he spoke in regards to the sage recommendation his late costar Robin Williams gave him throughout capturing.

Lawrence remembered how the Oscar winner warned him to “keep away” from medicine, notably cocaine.

“He was the primary grownup who actually let me in on his situation. Like, full-on let me in,” the “Boy Meets World” actor stated.

He continued, “I imply, as vivid as he was on digital camera — I might go go to him in his trailer to speak to him — it was painful for him. It’s actually painful for him. He didn’t conceal it. He talked to me about it.”

Williams died in 2014 on the age of 63 after committing suicide.

Lawrence then described the “present” that the beloved comic gave him: “Don’t ever do medicine. Particularly cocaine.”

MRS. DOUBTFIRE, clockwise from top, Robin Williams, Matthew Lawrence, Mara Wilson, Lisa Jakub, 1993. © 20th Century Fox / courtesy Everett Collection
Robin Williams, Matthew Lawrence, Mara Wilson and Lisa Jakub in a promo shoot for “Mrs. Doubtfire.”
©20thCentFox/Courtesy Everett C

The previous little one star famous, “[Williams] was very critical. He was like, ‘You recognize while you come to my trailer and also you see me like that?’ He’s like, ‘That’s the explanation why. And now I’m preventing for the remainder of my life as a result of I spent 10 years doing one thing very silly daily. Don't do it.’ I stayed away from it due to him.”

Lawrence then revealed that the “Good Will Looking” star was the explanation he scored his position of Chris Hilliard (Williams’ character’s son) in “Mrs. Doubtfire.”

Whereas Lawrence was “a hair away” from successful the half, “there was one other robust alternative that everyone else wished.”

He continued, “The studio wished this different boy … I don’t know who it was, I used to be solely 9 years outdated. However I did begin to sense that one thing was up as a result of there was like this little pause and little awkwardness and I used to be all the time the quiet one.”

UNIVERSAL CITY, CA - AUGUST 26: Actor Matthew Lawrence arrives to the 2007 Teen Choice Awards at the Gibson Amphitheater on August 26, 2007 in Universal City, California. (Photo by Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic)
“‘Don’t ever do medicine. Particularly cocaine,” Lawrence recalled of William’s sound recommendation.
Jon Kopaloff

When the 2 had been conducting their display screen check additional on into the audition course of, Williams Tried to push Lawrence’s probabilities ahead by “doing one thing.”

“He very secretly reached behind my again and pinched me so arduous,” the “brotherly Love” star stated. “The studio began bawling and wept. I obtained the position due to that little second over the opposite boy. It was all Robin Williams. ‘I do know what I’m going to do to get this child this job.’ Thanks, Rob.”

“Mrs. Doubtfire” additionally starred Sally Discipline, Mara Wilson, Pierce Brosnan, Harvey Fierstein, Robert Prosky and Lisa Jakub.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post