Shaheen Holloway opens up on self-confidence, basketball career, Saint Peter’s March Madness run

Coach Shaheen Holloway took a second from Saint Peter’s Cinderella run to go one-on one with The Submit’s Steve Serby: 

Q: Do you want underdogs and underdog tales? 

A: I find it irresistible ’trigger I’m the underdog story. Coming from the place I got here from in New York, coming to Jersey, 5-foot-10 man changing into a highschool All-American, and staying residence to go to school, to consider in your self, assume that you might construct a staff that was down a bit of bit to make ’em a contender. Every thing I did, I at all times did as an underdog. I went to St. Patrick, no person by no means heard of it. After I left there, it was a family identify. After I went to Seton Corridor, it was down; after I left there, we obtained it again up. Once we took the job at Iona, it was down. 

Q: Your staff represents New York-New Jersey to a tee, proper? 

A: Completely. You place your arduous hat on, you’re lacing your Timberland boots up, and also you’re able to go to work. That’s what my staff represents. 

Q: Is your staff on Cloud 9, or will you must knock your guys off Cloud 9? 

A: Nah, these guys are so level-headed. I don’t brag on these guys like I ought to … nice children, nice college students, come from nice households. I’m the fortunate one. 

Q: How will they deal with the large second? The magnitude of the Candy 16? 

A: How will they deal with the large second? Do you notice what these younger gents achieved already? These younger gents that lots of people didn’t need, they didn’t assume was ok, not solely received a MAAC championship, went into the NCAA Match, beat probably the greatest identify colleges in historical past. … That everyone thought was a fluke. … Got here again and received a second recreation in opposition to one other nice staff, Murray State. These guys ain’t nervous about no moments like that. These guys are simply on the market doing what they like to do and that’s hooping, man, that’s it. How will you be afraid of one thing that you just like to do? These guys ain’t nervous about no moments. I’m not letting them fear about no moments. I attempt to hold ’em off social media as a lot as attainable, don’t take heed to all of the hoopla. This week has been a loopy week for us up to now, get a number of consideration, what they deserve. However they’re simply on the market simply hooping and taking part in. They usually nonetheless obtained one thing to show. 

Q: The traits of the best Shaheen Holloway basketball participant? 

A: There’s three issues: One, you gotta be robust and tough-minded. Second is you gotta love the sport of basketball. And third you must be coachable. In case you obtained these three issues you'll be able to play for me. In case you ain’t obtained these three issues, you'll be able to’t play for me. 

Shaheen Holloway
Shaheen Holloway
Noah Ok. Murray-NY Submit

Q: Why would Shaheen Holloway the participant take pleasure in taking part in for Shaheen Holloway the coach? 

A: As a result of Shaheen as a participant has all of the intangibles that Shaheen as a coach loves — he’s robust, he’s hard-nose, he will get after it, he performs with a chip on his shoulder, and I let my guards play. In case you get after it on the defensive finish, I’ll allow you to play offense as a lot as you need. 

Q: Give me an instance of the way you have been tough-minded as a participant. 

A: Nothing fazed me. Coaches yelling at, nothing fazed me. I had the last word objective the place I believed I used to be higher than you, I’m gonna go on the market and show it. You gotta play with a chip in your shoulder. I had a chip on my shoulder as a participant, I obtained a chip on my shoulder as a coach. 

Q: Why do you may have a chip in your shoulder as a coach? 

A: As a result of you understand what? I gotta be trustworthy with you, there’s a stereotype on the market about an African-American man that they'll solely recruit. They’re not good coaches, they’re not X-and-O guys. There’s lots of people that say they didn’t assume I might take over and run my very own program. They didn’t assume I used to be gonna achieve success ’trigger I wasn’t a great X-and-O man, simply was a recruiter, or this or that. That kinda stuff fueled me, as a participant and as a coach. After I was a participant, I used to be too small, you'll be able to’t do that, you'll be able to’t try this. You’re not gonna have the ability to go to a highschool and do that, you’re by no means gonna have the ability to go to school, you'll be able to’t do that. All that stuff was gasoline to the hearth. There’s a stereotype on the market proper now that almost all younger African-American coaches are good recruiters, not good coaches, X-and-O guys. I’m on the market to show that mistaken each single day, so for the subsequent man to get a job, he received’t have that very same factor on him. 

Q: You may go one-on-one with any NBA participant in historical past. 

A: I've a narrative, after I was taking part in within the ABA, in Chicago (Skyliners). Michael Jordan was popping out of retirement, and he was coming again taking part in five-on-five with us to get again in form. And I bear in mind Michael Jordan was guarding me. Michael Jordan talked Michael Jordan stuff, and I gave him a pleasant crossover and scored on him, that was one of many highlights of my profession ever. I obtained a number of highlights, however that was big-time simply due to him and his competitiveness and the way he was speaking and taking part in. 

Q: What was he saying? 

A: He simply was taking part in arduous and speaking smack, and elbow you and never allow you to get to sure spots, and simply taking part in bodily. And what he didn’t know was that was up my alley. I beloved that. 

Q: What was his response after the crossover? 

A: He got here down and scored the subsequent 5 baskets on me (chortle). 

Q: However nonetheless you had that one second. 

A: Yeah completely. I cherish that one second. 

Q: What's your definition of management? 

A: In case you are a frontrunner, individuals gotta be keen to comply with you, and the way are individuals gonna comply with you? … You’ve obtained to be constant. And do what you say, and say what you imply. 

Q: How would you describe your teaching model? 

A: I’m fiery, I’m very passionate, and I’m very constant. All my guys’ll inform you a similar factor. I’m in line with each final particular person. 

Q: How do you inspire? 

A: I’m completely different, proper? I really like guys to precise themself on the courtroom. My motivation is working guys out, pumping ’em up, making them really feel like they may accomplish any and every little thing, the most important mountain, like — ‘Oh, it’s solely that? Oh, it’s solely this? We might try this, that’s simple.’ My motivation is to get guys taking part in and believing that they may do issues that they didn’t assume that they may do. 

Shaheen Holloway speaks with Saint Peter's playersJaylen Murray (32) and Doug Edert.
Shaheen Holloway speaks with Saint Peter’s gamers Jaylen Murray (32) and Doug Edert.
Getty Photos

Q: Do you may have favourite motivational or inspirational sayings? 

A: I've a number of (chortle). I feel the one which I persist with probably the most so much is: In case you don’t stand for one thing you fall for something. And that’s what I inform my gamers on a regular basis. 

Q: Any others? 

A: You may’t hear and discuss on the identical time. If I’m attempting to let you know one thing and also you’re giving me solutions again earlier than I even end, you'll be able to’t hear and discuss on the identical time. It’s not possible. 

Q: What drives you? 

A: The desire to wish to be actually good at my craft. The desire to show lots of people mistaken. I feel there’s lots of people on the market that’s cheering for me, however there are lots of people on the market that don’t wish to see me do nicely. That’s simply how life is, man. The desire to maintain going, and ensure my children perceive that on this world, to be able to achieve success, you must work arduous, and also you gotta overcome so much. 

Q: Getting reduce by the Knicks? 

A: Heartbreaking. As a child rising up in New York Metropolis, there’s the Knicks, and there was the Mets, as a result of I’m from Queens. Popping out I had an opportunity to decide on between the Washington Wizards and the New York Knicks to go to what camp. And I selected the Knicks simply due to being New York. I believed I did nicely sufficient to make the staff. That they had three guys beneath contract on the time, which was Chris Childs, Charlie Ward and I feel it was Rick Brunson. I didn’t know the dangerous facet of the politics on the time. Rick had finished an important job of incomes his stripes there, and all people beloved him, and he earned it. 

Q: How would you describe your taking part in profession after Seton Corridor? 

A: I believed it coulda went alternative ways. I believed I shoulda made the Nets. Jason Kidd obtained harm. I believed it was my job. However they felt they wanted a place to begin guard they usually went out and obtained Travis Greatest. I attempted to remain near residence considering that that may be a bonus, and it turned out to be a drawback. 

Q: Flash again to main Seton Corridor to the Candy 16 in 2000. 

A: Clearly, I flash again to my senior 12 months, my first time making the NCAA Match was an enormous factor. I knew I used to be gonna play nicely, I used to be so juiced up and amped up and hyped as much as play. Clearly hitting the game-winning shot [against Oregon], scoring 27 factors that recreation, it was like an incredible excessive for me. After which the primary 5 minutes of the second recreation [against Temple], breaking my ankle and having my goals and every little thing trashed proper in entrance of my eyes was a serious, main disappointment, and never having the ability to play within the Candy 16 [against Oklahoma State] was simply heartbreaking, ’trigger it’s one thing you're employed your entire life for. It was proper there, and you may’t do it, man. It was devastating. 

Q: When did you get the teaching bug? 

A: Since I used to be taking part in. I knew that I used to be gonna be a coach, I simply didn’t comprehend it was gonna be this quick. I finished taking part in as a result of I needed to handle my daughter. I used to be taking part in in Germany on the time, signed a two-year contract. My daughter kinda wanted me in her life greater than I used to be. 

Q: What was it like having a daughter (Shatanik) if you have been 15? 

A: I had a number of relations there to assist, but it surely was like a child elevating a child. 

Q: Not simple at 15, proper? 

A: It’s not simple at 40 (chortle). However undoubtedly not simple at 15 for positive. 

Shaheen Holloway while playing at Seton Hall.
Shaheen Holloway whereas taking part in at Seton Corridor.
Nury Hernandez – New York Submit

Q: Fatherhood? 

A: It retains me on my toes. My son Xavier is 9, I attempt to assist him change into a great participant. Tyson will probably be 2 on Friday. 

Q: How’s your diaper recreation? 

A: Take into consideration this — I obtained my daughter who’s 28 years outdated. … I obtained expertise with it. 

Q: Coaches in different sports activities you admire? 

A: I’m a sports activities fanatic. I really like the job that Invoice Belichick does. … Doc Rivers. … on the baseball facet, Dusty Baker, I like him so much. 

Q: Did you ever textual content any of them? 

A: I don’t try this, I learn a number of books, I really like my man Herm Edwards, and I really like my man Tony Dungy. He’s the actual deal, man. 

Q: You may choose the mind of any coach in NBA historical past? 

A: I really like Pat Riley. I by no means learn his ebook, however I beloved the best way his guys responded to him, and he obtained on ’em. It’s the identical factor with Chuck Daly, man, God relaxation his soul. He was certainly one of my favorites as a result of he was a tough-minded, arduous coach that obtained on his guys and by no means wavered. 

Q: Bloomfield Tech? 

A: Nick Mariniello gave me my first alternative to teach. 

Q: Kevin Willard? 

A: Believed in me, helped mildew me to the coach I'm right this moment. 

Q: What drove you as a younger boy? 

A: To be trustworthy, to get out of the ’hood, to make it out of South Jamaica, Queens. 

Q: Give me a way for a way dangerous South Jamaica, Queens, was. 

A: It’s arduous to speak dangerous about it ’trigger it made me who I'm right this moment. It was a tricky interior metropolis. 

Q: You moved in along with your grandmother Emma Clemons in Hillside, N.J. 

A: Top-of-the-line girls you’re gonna meet in your life. We misplaced her a few years in the past. Real one that’d provide the shirt off her again. An individual that cared about me, not the basketball participant, however the particular person. Taught me so much. After I got here to Jersey, she kinda was like a candy mother to me. 

Q: Describe your mom, Claudette. 

A: My mom is a tricky, single dad or mum, raised three children — me, my brother, my sister — I get all my toughness and all my grit from her. She’s robust, she’s fiery, and she or he’s probably the greatest in the entire huge world. 

Q: How was it for you and not using a father in your life? 

A: I didn’t really feel nothing about it ’trigger my mother did an important job. It takes a village, my mother and my grandmom, my entire household, did an important job of filling that void. The place he was at? I don’t know. I nonetheless don’t know. 

Shaheen Holloway
Shaheen Holloway in Saint Peter’s apply as they put together for his or her Candy 16 matchup with Purdue.
Noah Ok. Murray-NY Submit

Q: How pleased with you is she? 

A: She’s super-proud, man. She’s my largest fan. Her and my grandma (Dorothy) are my two largest followers. They name me on a regular basis. These are two those who I do it for. I labored so arduous rising up for them as a result of I nonetheless owe them a home. I promised them that someway someway I’m gonna get it for ’em. 

Q: Greatest impediment or adversity you needed to overcome? 

A: My childhood wasn’t simple, I don’t discuss it that a lot as a result of I prefer to hold it to myself. However simply the impediment of me being the primary one in my household to ever graduate from faculty. Now it’s a pattern in my household. I set the tone for it, that’s the norm now. I obtained seven, eight little cousins proper now which might be in faculty due to what I did. That’s humongous. 

Q: Boyhood idols? 

A: Isiah Thomas and Tim Hardaway. 

Q: Greatest playground video games? 

A: I.S. 8 obtained a slogan: Carry your recreation, not your identify. Since you would go in there and get embarrassed. 

Q: Two dinner company? 

A: Martin Luther King; Shaheen Holloway. And asking him, “What drives you, so arduous? What makes you assume that you might simply go in there and coach with Coach Calipari and coach with these guys and assume that you just have been gonna achieve success all the best way?” And the reply is: As a result of I consider in myself. “Why do you may have this huge chip in your shoulder that’s the scale of a boulder that will get you the best way you're?” ’Trigger my staff asks me that on a regular basis. “Why do you coach like that? Why do you coach so arduous? Why do you coach with a lot ardour?” I obtained this aggressive spirit that it simply comes out. 

Q: So that you don’t even want Shaheen Holloway there, you understand the reply. 

A: Him and I discuss on a regular basis (chortle). 

Q: Favourite motion pictures? 

A: “Warmth,” “Carlito’s Approach,” “The Godfather,” “Goodfellas.” 

Q: Favourite actors? 

A: Martin Lawrence; Denzel Washington. 

Q: Favourite actresses? 

A: Halle Berry; Nia Lengthy. 

Shaheen Holloway" class="wp-image-21652339"/>
Shaheen Holloway
AP

Q: Favourite singer/entertainer? 

A: My favourite rapper is Nas. Favourite singer is Mary J. Blige. 

Q: Favourite meal? 

A: Penne a la vodka with breaded hen. 

Q: Why have you ever at all times believed a lot in your self? 

A: One in every of my childhood heroes rising up was (former Andrew Jackson Excessive Faculty level guard) Dave Edwards. He handed away. He taught me find out how to play, like I mildew my recreation round his recreation. Coming from the place we got here from, to see all the blokes that didn’t make it, that had the expertise, that’s what drives me. 

Q: What's it like being Shaheen Holloway as of late? 

A: I’m the identical particular person, man. I’m low-key. I obtained a small circle. 

Q: Your legacy in the future? 

A: Simply somebody that went on the market and gave it his all each single evening and had a ardour. One in every of my mobster phrases — I’m a person’s man. Which means you’re a standup man, you’re loyal, you’re real. You’re a person’s man. 

Q: What would the title of the Shaheen Holloway film be? 

A: A pal of mine, Jamel Thomas, has a clothes line that I really like — it’s referred to as The Lovely Wrestle. That might be the identify of my film. 

Q: It’s untimely to ask you concerning the vacant Seton Corridor job. 

A: I’m attempting to beat Purdue Friday evening. That’s all I care about proper now. Nothing else.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post