Shannon Sharpe speaks out on Chris Rock Oscars slap: I’d have ‘whooped Will Smith’s ass’

The Will Smith Oscars discourse doesn’t appear able to die down simply but – even within the sports activities world.

On Monday’s episode of “First Take,” Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe waded into the waters of the controversial dwell TV second, through which Smith walked on stage and slapped comic Chris Rock within the face after he made a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s bald head. Sharpe, who performed 14 seasons within the NFL, stated if he have been the one getting slapped, he would have dealt with it rather a lot in a different way.

“I’d have got here up out that tux. I’d have whooped Will Smith’s ass,” Sharpe stated. “He’d have needed to whoop me, or I’d have needed to whoop him. And each time I see him it’s on sight.”

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock onstage during the show at the 94th Academy Awards
Will Smith slaps Chris Rock onstage throughout the present on the 94th Academy Awards
Getty Photos

The notorious second got here close to the tip of Sunday’s present, as Rock was making ready to current the award for Finest Documentary. He took a shot at Pinkett, saying: “Jada, I really like you, G.I. Jane 2, can’t wait to see it.” (G.I. Jane is a movie from the ’90s a couple of feminine particular operative with a shaved head.)

After initially showing to giggle on the joke – then catch wind of his spouse’s irritated response – Smith bought up out of his seat, walked on stage and smacked Rock within the face. The comic was shocked, saying, “Will Smith simply slapped the s–t out of me.”

Smith apologized to the Academy in a while in his speech after he gained Finest Actor for “King Richard.” However Sharpe didn’t consider it – or his conduct afterwards – to be enough.

“I’m watching him on the Self-importance Honest [Oscars Afterparty], and Will Smith is carrying on like ain’t nothing occurred. And then you definately apologize to the Academy, on the Academy. It's essential to apologize to that man,” Sharpe stated.

Sharpe additionally known as slapping somebody “the final word signal of disrespect.”

Smith finally apologized to Rock in an Instagram submit Monday.

“I wish to publicly apologize to you, Chris,” Smith wrote within the assertion. “I used to be out of line and I used to be incorrect. I'm embarrassed and my actions weren't indicative of the person I need to be.”

The assertion additionally learn: “Jokes at my expense are part of the job, however a joke about my Jada’s medical situation was an excessive amount of for me to bear and I reacted emotionally. Violence in all of its types is toxic and harmful. My conduct eventually evening’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post