The Singapore lawyer who defends those facing the gallows

M Ravi has spent practically 20 years taking up the circumstances few need to contact, and is satisfied Singapore will finally abolish the loss of life penalty.

M Ravi speaks to reporters outside the Supreme Court in Singapore on November 9, 2021.
M Ravi says Singaporean authorities are extraordinarily annoyed as a result of 'I annoyed their scheme of the loss of life penalty' [File: Roslan Rahman/ AFP]

Singapore is thought for being robust on crime, with among the harshest punishments on the planet, together with a compulsory loss of life sentence for sure offences, together with drug-related crimes.

One lawyer, M Ravi, has been taking up the state in high-profile circumstances for many years.

Ravi has been identified as bipolar and is presently suspended from practising legislation on psychological well being grounds, however he has been closely concerned within the case of Nagaenthran Dharmalingam, a Malaysian man with a studying incapacity discovered responsible of drug offences and sentenced to loss of life.

A final-minute enchantment that attracted worldwide consideration gave Nagaenthran a reprieve, and he contracted COVID-19 in November of final 12 months, additional delaying the method.

Singapore’s Courtroom of Attraction heard his case on March 1, and has reserved judgement till an undisclosed date.

Ravi spoke to Al Jazeera about why he takes on such difficult circumstances. The interview has been edited for size and readability.

Al Jazeera: You're one of many few attorneys concerned within the defence of individuals going through the loss of life penalty. Why do you tackle such circumstances?

M Ravi: My authentic focus was primarily business and company circumstances, mental property, know-how, that form of stuff.

In 2003, when a Malaysian boy Vignes Mourthi was going through the loss of life penalty [for smuggling 27 grams of heroin into the country], I mounted a last-minute constitutional problem on the request of the previous opposition chief in Singapore, Mr J B Jeyaretnam. He’s virtually like a Nelson Mandela of Singapore.

On the eve of the execution, I requested the then Chief Justice if we might reopen this case. He stated that the case had run its course and there was little I might do.

I then requested [that] if I might present that he was harmless, would Mourthi nonetheless be hanged? He stated sure. That was a horrifying assertion. I noticed the way in which the poor and the oppressed have been being handled. It introduced me to struggle in opposition to the loss of life penalty in Singapore.

M Ravi and JB Jeyaretnam walk outside court in suit and lawyer's robes
M Ravi (proper) with the late J B Jeyaretnam, a outstanding lawyer and the primary opposition politician to be elected to Singapore’s parliament in 1981 [File: Vivek Prakash/Reuters]

Al Jazeera: The Legislation Society of Singapore has suspended you from practising legislation on psychiatric grounds following your prognosis of bipolar dysfunction. What has occurred?

M Ravi: As I used to be making ready to argue Nagaenthran’s enchantment, my physician stated abruptly that I'm unwell. And that’s it, the Legislation Society stated I've to cease because the physician discovered that I'm unwell.

I’m nonetheless doing work, making ready bundles of papers. If I don’t do this, Nagaenthran shall be within the gallows.

The psychiatrists which have spoken to me from around the globe, and different folks I've spoken to, stated that I don’t want therapy and simply want relaxation.

In fact I'm annoyed. I used to be initially instructed by my physician that I can nonetheless argue Nagaenthran’s case and my MC [medical note] ought to finish on January 13. Then he prolonged it to March 13. And the court docket is just not going to attend, the Legal professional Normal is urgent that Nagaenthran’s case ought to go forward and be rushed by means of.

Al Jazeera: What different challenges do you face when taking up these tough circumstances, going up in opposition to the Singapore state?

M Ravi: The Legislation Society and the Legal professional Normal have utilized to the Courtroom of Attraction to droop me from apply – and even strike me off.

That’s due to a case in 2020, the case of Gobi Avedian. He was alleged to be executed, however I managed to cease it. [Avedian was instead sentenced to 15 years jail and 10 strokes of the cane.]

M Ravi in car on his way to Changi Prison with a stack of letters for a defendant facing execution
M Ravi holds messages addressed to Australian loss of life row prisoner Nguyen Tuong Van on his strategy to Changi Jail in Singapore in 2005. [File: Vivek Prakash/Reuters]

The authorities are extraordinarily annoyed as a result of I annoyed their scheme of the loss of life penalty. The Courtroom of Attraction acknowledged that that is the primary miscarriage of justice case in Singapore.

On this case, the Courtroom of Attraction stated we've made a mistake. The query I requested the Legal professional Normal is ‘What if I had not come to apply legislation on this case?’ Gobi would have been gone. I criticised the whole administration of the loss of life penalty.

Then there's the media. They consistently say that I'm mad. There's psychological harassment about my psychiatric situation.

Al Jazeera: Will Singapore ever eliminate the loss of life penalty?

M Ravi: It's going to. Simply have a look at the case of Yong Vui Kong. He was solely 19 when he was caught [trafficking heroin into Singapore in 2007].

This boy was alleged to be executed and, on the eve of the execution, I filed to cease it.

It took three, 4 years, however lastly the legislation was amended [Yong was spared]. The legislation now offers judges some discretion.

So there's a precursor to inform us that issues can change. Singapore is ripe to repeal the loss of life penalty, most international locations within the Southeast Asia area don’t practise it. Philippines is a no, Myanmar no, Thailand no, Indonesia sure however nonetheless gradual.

And now we've Richard Branson taking them on and telling different wealthy folks about it.

I believe they haven't any selection however to eliminate it.

Al Jazeera: How assured are you and your staff of Nagaenthran’s enchantment?

M Ravi: It’s a humungous quantity of labor. There are 5 Deputy Public Prosecutors, they're all on the high. Singapore finds plenty of assets to kill folks.

I believe I will win. 5 judges are [hearing] the case. If it’s a shut case and never critical and open, they wouldn’t even come.

Secondly, psychiatric jail consultants from the UK and Australia have given their professional opinion to say that the strategies utilized by the Institute of Psychological Well being in Singapore are backwards. The assessments are all mistaken. The style by which they're administered are very infantile.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post