Victoria Azarenka storms off court mid-match as she deals with ‘stressful personal life’

Followers have been shocked on Sunday when former world No. 1 tennis participant Victoria Azarenka bolted her third-round Miami Open match midway by way of with no clarification.

Competing towards 16-year-old Czech participant Linda Fruhvirtova, Azarenka stormed off the courtroom within the second set as the teenager led 6-2, 3-0.

The Belarusian No. 16 participant shook Fruhvirtova and the umpire’s hand and easily left the courtroom, because the ump known as after her, “Vika we have to wait.”

Azarenka launched a press release that vaguely defined her reasoning.

“I shouldn’t have gone on the courtroom right now. The previous few weeks have been extraordinarily demanding in my private life,” the assertion mentioned.

“Final match took a lot out of me, however I wished to play in entrance of a terrific viewers as they helped me pull by way of my first match. I wished to go on the market and take a look at nevertheless it was a mistake. I hope to take a break and be capable to come again.

“I’m sorry to the followers for what occurred as you have been nice to cheer for me. It was the one purpose I made a decision to step on the courtroom. I all the time look ahead to the problem and strain of competitors however to day it was an excessive amount of. I've to and can be taught from this.

“I want to congratulate my opponent and want her better of luck on this event and starting of her skilled profession.”

Azarenka’s departure compelled the umpire to name the match in Fruhvirtova’s favor. Whereas confused concerning the state of affairs, Fruhvirtova solely had reward for the 32-year-old.

“I don’t know what occurred on the finish,” Fruhvirtova mentioned, per AFP. “She was battling some accidents. I don’t know nevertheless it was an honor to share the courtroom along with her.

Linda Fruhvirtova and Daniela Hantuchova
Linda Fruhvirtova and Daniela Hantuchova fist bump after she defeated Azarenka
Getty Photos

“You by no means need to finish the match this fashion nevertheless it occurs. We shook arms after which she walked off.”

Azarenka’s actions precipitated her to obtain scorn from followers and former gamers. Daniela Hantuchova, the previous fifth-ranked participant on the planet, blasted Azarenka and requested for the WTA to research what had occurred.

“Essentially the most disrespectful factor about that is how she walked off the courtroom with out actually giving a purpose (for retiring),” Hantuchova mentioned. “I believe the WTA will actually must look into this.

“This one for me is admittedly weird and actually disrespectful to the group, to the umpire and most significantly to Linda (Fruhvirtova). I believe Vika (Azarenka) simply is aware of if she stored going this fashion she could be off the courtroom anyway very shortly. However simply the best way she’s performed it, it’s not good conduct.”

The First Serve Tennis account tweeted comparable sentiments to Hantuchova writing, “That is actually disappointing from Azarenka. Leaves the courtroom out of nowhere, no clarification. She was being outplayed by Fruhvirtova, and the younger Czech deserved extra respect and the precise to win that match on her personal phrases.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post