Walt Frazier ‘shocked’ to be honored by Hall of Fame as broadcaster

DALLAS — When Walt Frazier was in Springfield, Mass., final Might for Mike Breen’s Corridor of Fame induction ceremony, “Clyde’’ mentioned he by no means imagined he’d quickly be a part of his associate within the Corridor’s broadcasting wing.

Frazier was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Corridor of Fame in 1987 following a profession as a celebrity Knicks level guard who led them to their solely two championships.

With the announcement over All-Star weekend that he had received the Curt Gowdy Award, Frazier will grow to be the primary to have a spot within the Corridor as each a participant and broadcaster.

“Once I went to help Mike final yr, I by no means envisioned it,” Frazier advised The Put up on Tuesday. “When Mike went in, no one was saying, ‘Hey, Clyde, you’re subsequent.’ You already know what I imply. No one mentioned something about me within the Corridor of Fame. I used to be completely shocked. What a terrific honor.”

Frazier bought the Corridor name proper earlier than the break when rehabbing his sore again in St. Croix, his longtime second residence.

Knicks commentators Walt Frazier and Mike Breen talk before the game against the Clippers on March 6, 2022 at Crypto.Com Arena in Los Angeles.
Walt Frazier and Mike Breen
Adam Pantozzi

“The man was telling me we predict you’re the primary Corridor of Fame participant to ever be a Corridor of Fame broadcaster as nicely,” Frazier mentioned. “However I used to be in St. Croix. Once I bought again to New York and folks began coming as much as me for the primary sport congratulating me as a two-time Corridor of Famer, the magnitude hit me. And on the Backyard they gave me an introduction [Feb. 25 versus Miami] folks stood up. Then I began absorbing what I achieved.

“However I’m nonetheless absorbing it. It’s nonetheless sinking in. Once I heard it, I used to be shocked. I by no means labored nationally. I haven’t obtained hardly any awards for being a shade analyst. Clearly it wasn’t one in all my objectives after I bought within the enterprise. It was only a job. It introduced me again into the sport after I retired in 1980.”

Frazier began his Knicks broadcasting profession in 1987 — first on radio, then TV with Marv Albert and Breen. Frazier, recognized for his colourful fits and rhymes, will flip 77 on March 29.

Knicks guard Walt Frazier shoots a foul shot during a game against the Baltimore Bullets at Madison Square Garden, 1969.
Walt Frazier shoots a free throw at Madison Sq. Backyard in 1969.
AP

And it feels like 80 could be the magic quantity for him to hold up the headset.

“I really feel I can work three extra years not less than, however reducing again on the highway,” Frazier mentioned. “My restoration time is just not good from the highway. I’d prefer to go to Philly, Boston, Washington. I’ll at all times nonetheless prefer to be concerned with the Knicks with followers like John Starks [the team’s alumni director]. I nonetheless get pleasure from being a constructive function mannequin for the youth.”

Frazier’s philosophy as broadcaster is to avoid getting near the Knicks gamers on the highway.

“I attempt to not be too near the gamers,” Frazier mentioned. “Should you’re near gamers, you may’t criticize them. Most of my relationship with them is once they strategy me about [charity stuff]. I’ll do this. However there’s a gulf between us. I've to do my job. I can’t play favorites — if I like a man and I can’t not say one thing about him after I ought to.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post