Cameron Smith’s final round doomed by ‘too many mistakes’ at Masters

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Cam Smith was the one participant who had an opportunity to chase down Scottie Scheffler in Sunday’s Masters last spherical.

The 28-year-old Aussie is usually a fearless birdie machine, and when he carded birdies on the primary two holes, he rapidly diminished Scheffler’s three-shot result in a mere one stroke. However he by no means acquired nearer, with bogeys on Nos. 3 and 4 halting his momentum and a disastrous triple bogey on the par-3 twelfth gap ended his probabilities.

Smith, who completed tied for second in 2020 and tied for tenth in 2021, completed tied for third this week.

“Simply too many errors,” Smith mentioned afterward. “Poor shot on 12 and that’s the match. It was only a good 9-iron. Only a actually unhealthy swing, in all probability one of many worst swings of the week on the worst time of the week. I’ll develop from this and be stronger for it.”

Smith believes his time will come at Augusta.

“I really feel like I’ve performed a few of my finest golf round right here, it simply hasn’t fairly been my time but,” Smith mentioned. “A pair fortunate breaks and I’ll be placing that inexperienced jacket on someday.”

Masters
Cameron Smith
Getty Pictures

Englishman Tyrrell Hatton, who completed final among the many 52 gamers who made the minimize, taking pictures 17-over after Sunday’s 80, mentioned, “I’m glad it’s over” when it was over.

He sounded loads like Sergio Garcia as soon as did when expressing his frustrations about Augusta Nationwide.

“Clearly, upset, however I simply by no means do properly right here,” Hatton mentioned. “This course doesn’t actually go well with my eye, to be sincere. If I come again sooner or later, it’s only a case of attempting to get via the most effective that I can. … You may hit good pictures right here and never get any reward for it. It’s unfair at instances. I don’t agree with that.”

“When you hit shot, it is best to find yourself close to the opening. Not then short-sided right into a bunker due to the slopes that they’ve created and stuff. I don’t suppose it’s a good take a look at at instances.”

“If you end up clearly backside of the sphere throughout the weekend, even when I really feel like I’ve hit good pictures on the market, I’ve not been rewarded for them, so it’s a case of simply lose a little bit of curiosity. I’m simply attempting to ideally get off the golf course as quick as attainable. I can say it wasn’t a enjoyable stroll. Possibly I’ll be higher off if I come again being a caddie right here relatively than attempting to hit golf pictures.”

Masters
Tyrrell Hatton
AP

Jon Rahm, who earlier within the week playfully joked that Tiger Woods solely offers recommendation to Justin Thomas, was paired with Woods in Sunday’s Masters last spherical and paid homage to him afterward.

“I feel the final possibly seven years of golf since 2015 with Jordan [Spieth], Jason Day, Dustin [Johnson], Rory [McIlroy], Brooks [Koepka], myself, Justin Thomas, many different nice gamers now with Cameron [Smith] and Scottie Scheffler, it’s an ideal instance of the Tiger impact,” Rahm mentioned. “All of us are shut in age, Dustin being a little bit bit older. All of us grew up watching Tiger. All of us grew up eager to be him, and all of us grew up with the dream of being main champions.

“With the development in golf, in all of us considering of ourselves as athletes, you'll be able to see the distinction. All people can attain a brand new stage. It’s a good looking a part of the golden age of golf we’re dwelling in proper now.’’

Rahm, who shot 69, mentioned he loved Sunday’s spherical as a result of all the eye was on Woods.

“It was nice as a result of no one cared about me, so I used to be simply watching him play,’’ Rahm mentioned. “I used to be another spectator, and I ended taking part in good. Type of a little bit of a load off my shoulders in that sense. I used to be capable of get pleasure from at present as a fan and as a participant.


Bubba Watson, the 2012 and 2014 winner, mentioned the most effective reminiscence he’ll take away from this Masters was the return of Woods.

“It’s the inspiration of Tiger,’’ Watson mentioned. “Tiger … overlook rating. I don’t care. Watching him stroll, gosh, I cry on a paper minimize. For him to have the ability to stroll and make the minimize is fairly spectacular.’’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post