Knicks’ RJ Barrett wants to improve passing, shooting from two key areas

As RJ Barrett listed areas wherein he desires to enhance this summer season, Obi Toppin interjected.

“Free throws,” Toppin stated, as he waited to start out his personal press convention following Knicks apply on Tuesday.

“My free throws are tremendous,” Barrett responded. “I had a bit of dud for a pair video games, however apart from that, my free throws are tremendous. In all probability been capturing over 80 [percent] since All-Star break, Obi.”

He's, in truth, capturing 75.4 % because the break, however that's inappropriate. Earlier than that interjection, Barrett had talked about two areas he’ll be spending the summer season making an attempt to enhance. His passing — particularly as soon as he will get into the paint. And his capturing — particularly from the corners. He is aware of what he desires out of the following 5 months.

Barrett had six assists in the Knicks’ win over Orlando on Sunday, near his season-high, and he views the efficiency as a template of types.

“You realize me, I’m cussed, going to the rim,” he stated. “I’m a cussed child. I’m going to the rim and even when a 7-footer’s down there, I can rating over him.”

Knicks
RJ Barrett
AP

Nobody will knock Barrett for his confidence. However, he acknowledges, he may make the best performs in these conditions extra.

“For me, I’m actually enthusiastic about these reads once I get into the paint, simply getting my help totals greater,” he stated. “I would like to have the ability to get my teammates concerned extra whereas nonetheless having the ability to do my factor.”

As for his capturing, Barrett’s 3-point quantity has improved this yr, if not his proportion. However a look at his shot chart exhibits that he’s taking his 3-pointers from the highest of the arc on a a lot greater foundation than the corners, the place the space is shorter. Furthermore, he’s capturing about 31 % when he does take photographs from there.

“Discovering my capturing,” he stated. “Primary, discovering my capturing within the nook.”

The 21-year-old Barrett has grown right into a fledgling face of the franchise this season, averaging 20.1 factors and 5.9 rebounds. It’s clear he loves the function. It’s been clear because the evening he was drafted.

Regardless of his age, he’s additionally grown right into a management function for the Knicks.

“He’s the primary one in right here, one of many final to go away and we all the time see him on the market placing work in,” Toppin stated. “That’s first, main by instance, and he’s very vocal. He’s speaking to everyone, telling everyone what they should repair or what they should do to assist the crew.”

Knicks
Obi Toppin crashes RJ Barrett’s press convention.
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Put up
Knicks
Obi Toppin and RJ Barrett
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Put up

Barrett doesn’t really feel the strain of New York. Good or dangerous, he embraces it. He desires to steer the Knicks again into the playoffs subsequent season for simply the second time since 2013, and to listen to the adulation of the Backyard deep into the spring.

“I believe he’s skilled large levels earlier than,” Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau stated. “Taking part in at Duke ready him for this. And he’s wired a sure means.”

This summer season will mark an opportunity to place his future on paper. Subsequent season is the final on Barrett’s rookie contract, and he may put an early finish to hypothesis by signing an extension throughout the offseason.

“[Of] course I’m to see how that’s gonna find yourself and the way that’s gonna work out,” Barrett stated. “For proper now, I’m nonetheless within the second.”

He deflected a number of extra questions on an extension. However one piece of the puzzle has no ambiguity in any way.

“I really like all the pieces about being a Knick,” Barrett stated. “Yeah, 100%, [this is] the place I need to be.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post