Meet Anna Davis: The 16-year-old Tiger Woods shouted out for Augusta ‘shocker’

Tiger Woods isn’t the one one making headlines at Augusta Nationwide this week.

Highschool sophomore Anna Davis, 16, defeated the percentages and gained her first Augusta Nationwide Girls’s Newbie on Saturday.

The lefty-swinging, bucket hat-clad Davis pushed forward of then-frontrunner Latanna Stone with a closing spherical 69.

Davis, a left-hander from proper outdoors of San Diego, made waves after profitable the Heather Farr Basic on the AJGA circuit and the Lady’s Junior PGA Championship, which allowed her to qualify for this occasion. As well as, Davis was a member of the Junior Ryder Cup and Junior Solheim Cup groups.

Stone, a junior on LSU’s golf staff, had a two-shot lead earlier than she double bogeyed 17 and bogeyed 18 to overlook a playoff with Davis by one shot.

“It’s simply heartbreaking,” Stone stated. “I used to be making an attempt to be aggressive and simply sort of misplaced it. I used to be coming in at 3-under, and it’s simply kinda heartbreaking to go double after which bogey on the final two holes.”

Anna Davis
Davis gained her first Augusta Nationwide Girls’s Newbie on Saturday.
Getty Photos

Stone’s collapse within the last two holes left Davis as the one competitor to interrupt with par with a 1-under whole. Davis’ win marked the second yr in a row that a competitor misplaced a big lead on the Augusta Nationwide Girls’s Newbie.

Davis, who can't converse to varsity recruiters till her sophomore yr concludes, was in awe of her efficiency. In chatting with reporters, she mentioned her “have enjoyable” mentality for the reason that odds have been closely stacked in opposition to her compared to her 29 opponents, nearly all of whom have been older and extra skilled.

“I’m nonetheless just a little shocked,” Davis stated. “I actually … I’m speechless. I can’t even fathom what simply occurred.

“I don’t assume I’ve ever performed in entrance of that many individuals. I wasn’t as nervous. I knew I used to be an underdog within the subject. I didn’t have as a lot stress on me to do extraordinarily properly. I used to be simply on the market having enjoyable.”

Anna Davis
Davis was the one remaining participant to complete under par.
Getty Photos

Davis acquired a shoutout from golf legend Tiger Woods, who's nonetheless up within the air whether or not he'll compete within the Masters this week.

“I might be heading as much as Augusta right this moment to proceed my preparation and apply. It will likely be a game-time determination on whether or not I compete. Congratulations to 16-year-old Anna Davis on an incredible win on the @anwagolf and good luck to all the youngsters within the @DriveChipPutt,” Woods tweeted.

Davis’ win will get her a spot within the US Girls’s Open.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post