Why ‘Annie’ star Aileen Quinn gave up on Hollywood at just age 18

“Annie” alum Aileen Quinn achieved worldwide fame in 1982 after starring because the little, red-haired orphan lady within the John Huston-directed household flick.

Nonetheless, being a toddler star wasn’t for her and she or he determined she wished a greater “Tomorrow.” Quinn, now 50, determined to take a break from Tinseltown when she hit 18.

Quinn beat out greater than 8,000 women for the position of Annie and scored the gig when she was simply 9 years outdated. Albert Finney, Tim Curry, Carol Burnett and Bernadette Peters additionally starred within the movie.

She divulged why she skipped out on Hollywood in an interview with Fox Information, noting she wished to discover the world.

She revealed that her mother and father felt that schooling was essential they usually had been “strict” about her getting three hours of college a day.

“After I got here again from filming, my academics didn’t minimize me any breaks,” Quinn stated. “Don’t get me unsuitable, they liked it, they had been pleased for me, they usually wished my autograph, too, however they had been like, ‘Welcome again to test-taking. Be your common A+ pupil.’ “

BURBANK CA - JULY 19: John Huston, director, with Aileen Quinn who played Annie and other child members of the cast of Annie a film released 1982 was an American musical comedy-drama film based on the Broadway musical of the same name , July 19, 1981 Warner Bros. Burbank Studios,Burbank, California(Photo By Paul Harris/Getty Images)
Director John Huston, Aileen Quinn and different members of the forged of “Annie” had been on set in 1981.
Getty Photos

The singer acknowledged that she had been below contract within the early Nineteen Eighties and was capable of do theater and even recorded an album, “Bobby’s Lady,” for Columbia Information.

“However after that, I wished to get again to some normalcy. I wished to go to varsity and discover my different choices,” Quinn defined. “I wished to be taught concerning the world. I lived abroad and obtained to expertise that for some time. I obtained to be taught a distinct language and discover one other a part of the world that was completely different. So in a manner, it was a blessing in disguise. I used to be capable of develop up, have a standard life, date and see the world, which felt proper to me.”

After she graduated from faculty, she began to do extra stage work. She additionally stated she discovered it “onerous” to separate herself from her character years after the film wrapped.

Quinn was asked to make several “Annie” sequels; however, those films never made it to production.
Quinn was approached about a number of “Annie” sequels; nonetheless, these movies by no means made it to manufacturing.
WireImage

“I’ve all the time appeared youthful, so it was just a little onerous to transition. However the wonderful thing about theater is I obtained to play every part,” she stated. “Fortunately, theater stored me rising, and I used to be by no means pigeonholed.”

Quinn later stored herself busy with the theater and “did that for 25 years straight.” The stage lights had been a spot the place she felt “embraced.”

The Pennsylvania native was requested to make a number of sequels — she met with administrators and browse scenes about potential initiatives, which might be extra “adventurous” and based mostly on the “Annie” comedian strips — however the plans by no means materialized.

Albert Finney And Aileen Quinn In 'Annie'
Albert Finney and Aileen Quinn in 1982’s “Annie.”
Getty Photos

“I don’t know what occurred as a result of that was on the company facet of issues, and I used to be so younger,” she stated.

“However different issues had been taking place [for me],” Quinn added. “I used to be requested to be on sure sitcoms and do sure different initiatives and I needed to flip them down for seven years. By then, I had grown up and I used to be a youngster.”

These days, Quinn is fairly “busy” and she or he’s making an attempt to get again into movie and TV after transferring to Los Angeles. She additionally has her personal band, Aileen Quinn and the Leapin’ Lizards, and hopes to start out touring quickly. They’re engaged on their third album now, and she or he’s persevering with to hone her songwriting expertise.

“Life is stuffed with the humanities for me. It’s very inventive and really hectic. Like all artist, I’m making an attempt to juggle many hats,” Quinn stated.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post