Alexander Zverev slams ‘absolute disgrace’ ATP for Madrid Open scheduling

After his loss within the Madrid Open last Sunday, Alexander Zverev pointed fingers on the ATP for what went incorrect.

Shedding 6-3, 6-1 to 19-year-old Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, Zverev blamed the timing of the matches on why he did so poorly, per tennis reporter Ben Rothenberg.

“One factor I've to say is that the ATP’s job was an absolute shame this week. Two days in the past I went to mattress at 4, 4:30 a.m. Yesterday I went to mattress at 5:20 a.m., Zverev mentioned. “You realize, if any regular particular person goes to mattress at 4 a.m., the following evening at 5 a.m., it’ll be a troublesome time simply to be awake for them.”

“And for me to play a last in opposition to Carlos Alcaraz, who for me is one of the best participant on the earth proper now, in a Masters 1000 occasion the following day, it's tough. As we speak on court docket, I’m a little bit bit — now I’m a little bit bit indignant.”

On Satuday, Zverev’s semifinal match in opposition to Stefanos Tsitsipas began at 11 p.m. and concluded after 1 a.m. For ATP matches, that sort of timing will not be fully unusual, however is sort of at all times not most well-liked by athletes nor followers.

Alexander Zverev said that the timing of his matches hurt his performance at the Madrid Open.
Alexander Zverev mentioned that the timing of his matches harm his efficiency on the Madrid Open.
AFP by way of Getty Photographs

The 25-year-old emphasised that his exhaustion triggered him to lose management of the ball, and thus the match, when he couldn’t compete at his stage.

“I had no coordination on my serve, I had no coordination on my groundstrokes. I missed two overheads that have been tremendous straightforward as a result of I see the ball, and every little thing is shifting in my eyes,” he mentioned.

Whereas he was uncertain that he might defeat Alacaraz even at full energy, Zverev was sure that the match would have been extra gratifying and higher tennis would have been performed in the event that they didn’t need to compete at such late occasions.

Alexander Zverev and Carlos Alcaraz
Zverev apologized for the poor high quality of play through the last.
AFP by way of Getty Photographs
Carlos Alcaraz
Alcaraz defeated Zverev in straight units.
Getty Photographs

“I don’t need to take something away. He’s an excellent participant. He’s one of the best on the earth proper now. However to be sincere, I really feel unhappy for the ultimate that we performed, as a result of this might have been an excellent match, however I had no probability immediately of being myself. I had completely no probability of enjoying my stage,” Zverev mentioned.

Zverev referenced the Mexican Open in February, wherein he mentioned he skilled comparable timing points with comparable outcomes. The world No. 3 received the event in Acapulco in 2021 however was thrown out of the event earlier than the Spherical of 16 for swinging his racket at an umpire’s chair throughout a doubles match.

“This isn't the primary time that is occurring. … that is occurring on a weekly foundation, and to be sincere, I’m a little bit uninterested in it,” Zverev mentioned.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post