Mariners’ Paul Sewald enjoys silencing Mets fans in ‘emotional’ Citi Field return

Getting booed by the followers at Citi Area is nothing new for Paul Sewald. That's the reason shutting them up on Friday night time felt so good. 

Sewald, who was drafted by the Mets in 2012 and spent his first 4 seasons within the large leagues enjoying for them, returned to Citi Area on Friday night time with the Mariners. He entered the sport within the seventh inning to boos from the Mets’ followers and, with runners on second and third in a 1-1 recreation, received Starling Marte to strike out. He returned within the eighth inning after the Mariners took a 2-1 lead and received three outs, together with a strikeout of Eduardo Escobar to finish the inning. 

“I had a number of optimistic moments right here and sadly too many destructive moments after I was a Met,” Sewald stated earlier than the groups performed Saturday night time. “That’s type of why I’m not anymore. [Friday night] was emotional. The followers weren't the most important followers of mine after I was right here so to do it in entrance of them, particularly once they booed me coming in, it was somewhat additional motivation, somewhat bit additional pleasure. Nothing in opposition to New York followers, they’re very passionate. When issues are going nicely, they’re the most effective followers to have. After they’re not going so nicely, they’re robust on you. 

Paul Sewald pitches against the Mets on Friday.
Paul Sewald pitches in opposition to the Mets on Friday.
USA TODAY Sports activities

“It simply felt good to do it on this stadium the place I grew up as a pitcher.” 

The Mets non-tendered Sewald after the 2020 season and he signed with Seattle. It was laborious to argue with the Mets’ resolution. Sewald had a 5.50 profession ERA with the Mets and went 1-14 in 125 video games. 

When he got here off the mound Friday, he let loose a scream and it was clear what the efficiency meant to him. 

“It was 18 months coming,” Sewald instructed Mariners reporters on Friday night time. “They removed me, and I hoped that I may stand up right here and pitch in opposition to them. It’s fairly good to do it rather well and assist our crew get the win for it. 

“They gave up on me, and so it’s fairly good to get somewhat revenge right this moment. Most significantly, we received a win.” 

Sewald has turned his profession round in Seattle. He started this season by retiring every of the primary 18 batters he confronted in his first six appearances. He went 10-3 with 11 saves and a 3.06 ERA final 12 months. 

“I’m only a completely different man,” Sewald stated. “No extra sinkers, no extra out and in, no extra changeups. It’s simply all fastballs on the high and sweeping sliders. I've two completely different pitches than I did after I was right here. If I'd have had these pitches after I was in New York, I'd have been an amazing reliever in New York. It wasn’t a Seattle factor. I modified who I used to be as a pitcher and it coincided with the time that I switched from enjoying for the Mets to enjoying for the Mariners.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post