Mets’ Eduardo Escobar saving champagne gift for ‘once we become champions’

DENVER — Eduardo Escobar is saving the bottle of champagne that was offered to him lately within the Mets clubhouse for a championship celebration after the season.

That bottle was handed to him by Max Scherzer in commemoration of Escobar reaching 10 years of MLB service time. Escobar was solely the tenth Venezuelan participant to succeed in that milestone. A video of Scherzer’s presentation went viral.

As Scherzer famous in his presentation, solely about eight p.c of gamers ever attain 10 years of MLB service time. Scherzer additionally famous Escobar’s profession statistics, All-Star choice and the very fact he has performed all 9 positions.  

“I really feel actually completely satisfied as a result of it is a dream that each participant desires to succeed in,” Escobar mentioned Saturday earlier than the Mets break up a doubleheader towards the Rockies at Coors Area. “However when you do issues the appropriate means and you might be humble and also you deal with the sport proper, you'll be able to get what you need out of it.

“I’m going to save lots of [the champagne]. I'll drink it as soon as we develop into champions.”

Eduardo Escobar was honored by Mets teammate Max Scherzer for 10 years of MLB service time.
Eduardo Escobar was honored by Mets teammate Max Scherzer for 10 years of MLB service time.
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Publish

He celebrated by taking the complete Mets’ touring social gathering to dinner Friday evening. A daily buyer at Fogo de Chao, the infielder obtained a tribute video from the restaurant chain’s higher administration.

Escobar, 33, debuted with the White Sox in 2011. He has additionally performed for the Twins, Diamondbacks, and Brewers. Final offseason he signed a two-year contract value $20 million with the Mets.

Escobar recounted receiving a $25,000 bonus upon signing with the White Sox as a 17-year-old pitcher and outfielder.

“I renovated my mother’s home as soon as I obtained that bonus,” Escobar mentioned. “I took all my pals, those that I had been working with, I took them to the mall and acquired them sneakers and garments and no matter they wished.

“Lots of people didn’t imagine in me and a whole lot of pals helped me so much, I got here from a poor household, however on the finish of the day it doesn't matter what I wished to do in my life, I had a dream to play baseball and assist my household.”

Mets World Series
Eduardo Escobar rounds the bases
Getty Pictures

Escobar has slumped currently, after a sizzling begin to his Mets profession. He owns a .203/.307/.336 slash line with two homers and 9 RBIs. Escobar additionally dedicated two errors at third base in Thursday’s victory over the Cardinals.

“I'm struggling proper now, I do know that and I've taken the accountability,” Escobar mentioned. “I'm coming right here and doing my greatest each single day. A very powerful factor is the group profitable and everyone collectively. I don’t have excuses. I'm doing my job. I attempt to be good, however I'm not good. I study from the unhealthy moments I'm having proper now, however I'm nonetheless working.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post