Ryan Tannehill will be ‘great teammate’ to Malik Willis as comments got ‘twisted’

Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill stated his feedback earlier this month about fellow Tennessee quarterback Malik Willis had been taken out context and that he might be a fantastic teammate to the rookie.

“I meant no disrespect to Malik or something like that,” Tannehill stated on Tuesday throughout Titans’ OTAs. “We’ve been in fixed communication since he was drafted. I’m dissatisfied in how issues received spun and twisted a bit of bit. I delight myself on being a fantastic teammate my entire profession going again to after I was a child enjoying youth sports activities.”

Tennessee used a third-round draft decide to pick out Willis out of Liberty College. The next week, Tannehill stated it’s not his job to mentor the younger QB, a participant whom he considers to be competitors.

The remarks led to a firestorm of criticism, together with from Corridor of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, who tweeted, “I'll by no means perceive the ‘I’m not right here to mentor the following man’ mentality…so for all you younger QBs that want a mentor, DM me & I’ll be that man, pleased to assist in any approach I can!”

Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill takes part in a drill at the team's practice facility Tuesday.
Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill takes half in a drill on the group’s observe facility Tuesday.
AP

For Tannehill’s half, although, he stated on Tuesday that he’s greater than prepared to be that man.

“As quickly because it blew up, I reached out to him and stated, ‘Hey, I’m going to be a fantastic teammate to you, I’m going to assist you. They’re making this out to one thing that it’s to not be. It’s not what it’s been made out to be in any respect,'” Tannehill stated. “He’s been good. He was nice with it all through the entire time. It’s been nice to have him within the room and construct that relationship.”

The 33-year-old and 10-year NFL vet additionally stated he takes his function as one of many group’s leaders “significantly.”

“There’s a number of folks that I depend as mentors. There’s lots of of folks that helped me out all through my profession, however there’s only some folks that I might think about mentors,” he stated. “A mentorship is one thing that each individuals must need, each individuals must comply with enter into that, and it’s going to must take numerous time, power and focus.”

Additionally, Willis stated he didn’t have a problem with Tannehill’s preliminary feedback.

Titans quarterback Malik Willis takes part in drills at the NFL football team's rookie minicamp last week.
Titans quarterback Malik Willis takes half in drills on the NFL soccer group’s rookie minicamp final week.
AP

“Oh, man, we chopped it up. I imply, it was by no means something damaging,” Willis stated two weeks in the past, including that Tannehill additionally invited all of the offensive rookies to his home. “Ryan’s dude … Every little thing’s cool.”

Final season, the Titans had been the highest seed within the AFC playoffs however had been overwhelmed at dwelling by the Bengals within the divisional spherical. Tannehill threw three interceptions within the recreation. Then the group drafted Willis 86th general.

When or if Willis will unseat Tannehill stays to be seen however for now there doesn’t look like any beef.

“It’s been cool,” Willis stated of Tannehill. “He’s a fantastic man that works tremendous exhausting and desires all people to get their work. He’s positively somebody that you could look as much as.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post