World No. 1 Scottie Scheffler staying in his ‘own lane’ at PGA Championship

TULSA, Okla. — Scottie Scheffler isn't a “take a look at me’’ participant. He by no means comes off as a man eager for consideration or asking “What about me?’’

He appears reasonably content material doing his factor and going about it comparatively unnoticed. That’s a bit tougher for him to do as of late because the reigning Masters champion.

Because the 104th PGA Championship begins Thursday at Southern Hills, Scheffler is likely one of the favorites to win the Wannamaker Trophy. He has gained 4 of his previous eight tournaments, and one of many occasions he didn’t win was a staff occasion. He’s ranked No. 1 on this planet.

But he hasn’t been strolling across the property this week appearing like The Man.

Requested if he felt any in another way this week, coming in as a significant champion and atop the world rankings, Scheffler stated: “No. Tiger’s right here, so no person actually remembers that I’m right here, so it’s all good.’’

It’s precisely as Scheffler likes it.

“I don’t really feel any totally different,’’ he stated. “I don’t get any additional photographs this week. It’s good to have the rating, however on the finish of the day once I present up at a match, I don’t have any benefits over the sphere. It’s an incredible honor, however on the finish of the day once I present as much as a match, I’m beginning at even.’’

Scottie Scheffler of the United States plays a shot
With a win this weekend, Scottie Scheffler would rack up 5 wins — and two majors — in 98 days.
Getty Photographs

Scheffler’s rise to No. 1 has been meteoric. On Feb. 12, he was a very good PGA Tour participant who was nonetheless looking for his first win. On Feb. 13, he gained the Waste Administration Phoenix Open.

On March 6, Scheffler, who grew up in North Jersey earlier than his household moved to the Dallas space, gained the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

On March 27, he gained the WGC-Dell Applied sciences Match Play.

After which on April 10, he gained the Masters.

If Scheffler occurs to win this week, inside a span of 100 days, he could have gained 5 tournaments, together with two main championships.

These are the form of issues Woods was doing in his prime. They're the form of issues that prompted Will Zalatoris, one in all Scheffler’s shut pals since enjoying junior golf with him, to lately name these accomplishments “Tigeresque.’’

When it was identified to Scheffler that he has an opportunity with a win this week to have gained 5 instances with two majors within the span of 98 days, he stated: “I don’t actually look too far into the longer term, so I had not likely thought a lot about this week till I confirmed up right here.

“That’s form of stuff for y’all to put in writing. I don’t actually get too excessive or too low. If y’all need to write up stuff and provide you with tales, that’s implausible. However for me … residing within the second is often what works finest for me. I don’t need to get too excessive or get too low.

“So, in case you guys are actually constructing me up, then you understand I could not put together as laborious as a result of I present up being like, ‘I’m the man, I’m the person and nobody can contact me.’ That doesn’t work for me. And if I present up too low, then you definitely guys are saying, ‘Oh, Scottie doesn’t have it, he’s not any good anymore,’ then I’m going to point out up and perhaps I’m going to organize too laborious and never get sufficient relaxation.

Scottie Scheffler celebrates after putting on the green jacket after winning the 86th Masters
Scottie Scheffler celebrates after placing on the inexperienced jacket after profitable the 86th Masters.
AP Picture

“So for me, form of staying in my very own lane and doing my very own factor is what works finest.’’

Primarily based on the outcomes, Scheffler can be loopy to vary a factor.

Requested the place his Masters inexperienced jacket is that this week, Scheffler stated, “I feel in my closet at residence … hopefully protected.’’

About the one factor that might make the low-key Scheffler recognizable this week can be if he had the inexperienced jacket with him in Tulsa and had been carrying it round city.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post