Letters to the Editor — May 31, 2022

The Situation: The Submit editorial advocating for a ban on promoting sure rifles to these underneath the age of 21.

If human brains are usually not mature sufficient till 21 to deal with alcohol and weapons responsibly, they definitely are usually not mature sufficient to vote responsibly or command a 4,000-pound automobile of dying and destruction responsibly (“Meet within the Center on Weapons,” Editorial, Could 26). Change these first.

As for not needing an AR-15 for protection of self, house and household, did you not see the a number of BLM riots with lots of bent on wholesale destruction, and the politicians ordering cops to do nothing?

The concept the Second Modification is about looking is a liberal fantasy. The Founding Fathers wished the residents of this distinctive nation to have the ability to defend themselves from outdoors threats and their very own authorities. The one factor protecting tyranny at bay is an armed citizenry. The Founding Fathers knew that. A free man with a gun is a citizen — with out it, he's a topic.

Brian Finn

Stamford, Conn.

I used to be shocked, appalled and significantly saddened over the taking pictures and the killing of 19 kids and two academics in Texas.

One thing should be finished to guard our nation’s kids from these mentally sick people.

Assault rifles shouldn't be bought to the common people. There must be extra intense background checks and mental-health assessments for these wishing to buy a gun. I additionally would really like the age to buy a gun be 21 . Our nation should problem and implement strict gun controls.

I wish to supply my heartfelt prayers to the dad and mom and grandparents of the kids who had been killed at Robb Elementary College.

Our American authorities should do one thing or extra kids will likely be killed in additional massacres and slaughtered.

Frederick Bedell

Bellerose

Being raised as a rustic boy in upstate New York, I've an issue along with your editorial.

My pals and I grew up round weapons. I received my first .22 caliber rifle once I was 12, given to me by my father. I carried this rifle with me as I walked via the woods as a result of there have been many wild canine and different animals that might assault me. So my rifle was for self protection.

Once I turned 16, I received a big-game looking license, so I might hunt deer and bear. My grandfather gave me his 300 Savage for big-game looking.

So had been your solutions legislation within the Seventies, I might have been defenseless once I wandered across the woods and wouldn't have been in a position to hunt till I used to be 21. That's ridiculous.

Jim Glaab, Elmsford

Why not improve the age to purchase gun to 21? And when some buys a gun, we should always enter their title in a database.

On the finish of the day, folks in the USA must ask themselves what sort of nation they need to have. Actually not one the place it’s doable to shoot to kill or get killed anyplace. The world seems to be as much as you, however this isn't the best way to guide.

Anant Nagpur

Ottawa, Canada

Within the wake of the horrific taking pictures in Texas, we see yet one more spherical of elites calling for complete disarmament of standard folks, all of the whereas relying on armed safety personnel for their very own safety.

That mentioned, a 25-year-minimum age requirement for weapons purchases and a minimal of 5 years incarceration for the possession of unlawful firearms would possibly suffice.

Making an allowance for that numerous the instances of gun deaths amongst younger folks contain accidents, unintentional shootings and suicide, gun-safety courses for handguns and a contemporary strategy to addressing melancholy and different types of psychological sickness is likely to be warranted.

Mark Hartwig

Livingston, Mon.

Need to weigh in on at this time’s tales? Ship your ideas (alongside along with your full title and metropolis of residence) to letters@nypost.com. Letters are topic to modifying for readability, size, accuracy and elegance.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post