Woman, 72, struck by apparent stray bullet in Queens home on Memorial Day

A Queens grandmother was struck by a stray bullet in her house late Memorial Day – and informed The Submit in an unique cellphone interview Tuesday morning that her COVID-stricken husband’s earlier toilet mishap might have saved her life. 

Retired librarian Margaret Henry, 72, was sitting in a chair inside the house on 128th Avenue close to 107th Avenue in South Ozone Park round 11:30 p.m. when a black sedan pulled up, and somebody inside fired a number of occasions via a front room window, the sources mentioned. 

The aged girl was struck within the higher proper arm, cops mentioned. 

“After I heard the capturing, I will need to have picked up my hand, as a result of the bullet went into my arm and out and didn’t penetrate my bone,” Henry mentioned. “It simply went proper via the place I used to be sitting.”

“They informed me I will need to have lifted up my hand after I heard the bullet,” she added. “They have been firing quite a bit. It will need to have been a couple of individual firing, as a result of there [were] numerous pictures. I couldn’t depend, however it was quite a bit. I do know I by no means heard something like this on my block earlier than.”

An elderly woman was struck by a stray bullet on Memorial Day while sitting on her porch, cops say.
Margaret Henry was struck by a stray bullet on Memorial Day whereas sitting on her porch, cops say.
Dennis A. Clark

Henry mentioned she was watching “Lifeless Presidents” — the 1995 crime movie that she claims was filmed in her house — when a shot flew via her window and struck her.

“I had watched it so many occasions earlier than,” she mentioned. “I used to be simply sitting there with the TV on, and that film was taking part in and the bullets began flying via the lounge.”

She mentioned she had simply gotten house from the hospital, the place her husband, Gersham Henry — who merely goes by “Henry” — was taken with COVID, when she was shot. 

Margaret Henry
She was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening accidents.
Dennis A. Clark

Earlier than her husband went to the hospital, he had urinated throughout a chair attributable to incontinence, she mentioned. 

Henry mentioned she was sitting there briefly earlier than she realized her husband had moist the chair. She moved to a unique chair — a call that will have saved her life.

“God is sweet to me,” she mentioned. “I might have gotten shot within the head and the chest and throughout as a result of that chair was out within the center, and it received every kind of shot up. If he was sitting there, he would undoubtedly be lifeless. He would have gotten shot within the head, within the chest and throughout. It was about quarter-hour [from the time] I got here house from the hospital until the time the capturing began.”

bullet holes
Bullet holes are seen inside Henry’s house.

“Henry saved me by peeing up the chair!”

The septuagenarian was taken to Jamaica Hospital Medical Middle with non-life-threatening accidents. 

Henry, who realized that she has COVID as effectively, is a mom of 5 with seven grandchildren. The household is from Antigua.

She is a former library supervisor who retired in 2019 from the Queens Public Library on Merrick Boulevard, the place she labored for 27 years. 

Now Henry’s kids are insisting that she transfer out, after residing in the identical house for 30 years.

“It's not a query!” mentioned her son, Lynroy Henry, 55. “She just isn't going to be residing right here. We have been already involved due to her leg points. You'll be able to see she walks with a cane. All of us have our personal homes, so she has many selections. She might be with any of us.

When requested whether or not she needs to maneuver, Henry acknowledged she is “afraid” and mentioned, “I don’t know.”

Lynroy Henry added that his father, who continues to be within the hospital, doesn't know what occurred to his mom. 

“My father doesn't know she was shot,” he mentioned. “Due to COVID, we can't see him and he doesn't have a cellphone within the hospital. They informed us he's steady. That's all we all know.”

Investigators don't consider she was the meant goal, in keeping with the sources. 

They're probing whether or not the shooter focused the incorrect home, or whether or not the gunfire was meant for somebody identified to the sufferer, the sources mentioned. 

Police are additionally probing whether or not the gunplay was gang-related, the sources mentioned. 

Sixteen shell casings have been recovered on the scene, in keeping with the sources. 

A number of bullet holes might be seen on the facade of the house Tuesday morning. 

Bullets additionally riddled the freezer within the house. 

“I don’t know what to say. It’s actually getting dangerous,” Henry mentioned of the latest gun violence within the space. “The neighbors will inform you, I’m very peaceable. I don’t hassle no person. So I don’t know why they aim my home.”

“They’re depraved folks, as a result of look!” she mentioned, pointing to the bullet holes within the window. “There may be numerous wickedness happening. My hand was bloody! I used to be bleeding quite a bit! I went to the hospital with nothing on high. They needed to chop all the pieces off.”

A 22-year-old neighbor who requested that his title not be used acknowledged that “this ain’t out of the atypical round right here!” 

“That is common,” he mentioned. “It’s at all times raining bullets right here. It’s loopy!”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post