Jack Nicklaus doesn’t ‘see eye to eye’ with Greg Norman on LIV Golf

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland — Greg Norman was disinvited by the Royal & Historical to attend this week’s historic one hundred and fiftieth British Open at St. Andrews, together with the champion’s dinner and Monday’s Celebration of Champions, the place previous Open champions performed gap Nos. 1, 2, 17 and 18.

The event officers reasoned that even supposing Norman is a two-time previous champion (1986 and 1993), his involvement with the controversial Saudi-backed LIV Golf tour would trigger a distraction.

On Monday, Jack Nicklaus weighed in on the Norman state of affairs with sturdy phrases — each for and towards Norman.

Let me simply sum this up with a few phrases,” the 82-year-old Nicklaus stated. “To begin with, Greg Norman is an icon within the sport of golf. He’s a fantastic participant. We’ve been pals for a very long time, and no matter what occurs he’s going to stay a pal. 

“Sadly, he and I simply don’t see eye to eye in what’s happening (with LIV Golf). I’ll principally go away it at that.”

Jack Nicklaus speaks during a press conference at the British Open on Monday.
Jack Nicklaus speaks throughout a press convention on the British Open on Monday.
PA Photos through Getty Photos

Nicklaus just lately revealed that a group of Saudi buyers had reached out to him providing him hundreds of thousands of dollars to hitch forces with them of their effort to construct golf of their nation and that he turned them down.

“I used to be provided one thing in extra of $100 million by the Saudis, to do the job most likely just like the one which Greg is doing,” Nicklaus informed Michael Bamberger of the web site Fireplace Pit Collective. “I turned it down. As soon as verbally, as soon as in writing. I stated, ‘Guys, I've to stick with the PGA Tour. I helped begin the PGA Tour.’ “

Nicklaus and his household are in St. Andrews this week for the primary time since he performed his closing British Open on the Outdated Course in 2005 as a result of he’s being celebrated as an honorary citizen of St. Andrews.

LIV Golf commissioner Greg Norman signs autographs during a tournament in North Plains, Ore. on July 2, 2022.
LIV Golf commissioner Greg Norman indicators autographs throughout a event in North Plains, Ore. on July 2, 2022.
LIV Golf through Getty Photos

“I declined to come back again the final couple of instances to St Andrews (2010 and 2015), as a result of (I) made my farewell in 2005 and I didn’t need to come again and dilute that for what it was,” Nicklaus stated. “However after I received the invitation this time to be an honorary citizen of St. Andrews and to observe Bobby Jones and Benjamin Franklin, I’ve received to come back again. I feel that’s fairly particular. There’s solely two Individuals which have ever been honored. I’m very flattered by that. I’m positive will probably be a humbling expertise (Tuesday).”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post