Jalen Brunson: ‘People might not believe’ why I left Mavericks for Knicks

At the moment final 12 months, Jalen Brunson thought he could be a Maverick for all times. Or, not less than, by way of his subsequent contract. 

He was having fun with life in Dallas and anticipated to signal a contract extension with the group that had drafted him within the second spherical in 2018 and developed him into a robust NBA participant. 

However a suggestion didn’t come from the Mavericks till after the commerce deadline. By then, the previous Villanova star was having fun with a breakout season. 

“Enterprise got here knocking on the door,” Brunson, the Knicks’ new level guard, mentioned on the podcast “The Outdated Man And The Three,” with JJ Redick. “It was time to only not less than look. I needed to do my due diligence and look and see what was on the market. Individuals won't consider it. I talked about it with my dad since 12 months one or two, mentioned, ‘Yeah, we’re going to be right here for the remainder of my profession.’ That’s what I assumed.” 

It didn’t occur. The Knicks and president Leon Rose — Brunson’s former agent and a detailed household buddy — got here calling, providing the 25-year-old lead guard a whopping four-year, $104 million contract. The 6-foot-1 Brunson laughed when requested if he ever dreamed of getting that form of cash right now final 12 months. 

Jalen Brunson playing for the Mavericks on May 20, 2022.
Jalen Brunson taking part in for the Mavericks on Might 20, 2022.
AP

“No, no, no,” he mentioned. “In no way.” 

In truth, Brunson mentioned the deal was double what he had been hoping to get from the Mavericks previous to final season. There may be some thought that the Knicks overpaid for a participant who simply turned a starter this previous season. Brunson has heard the criticism. 

“It’s unattainable to not see it,” he mentioned. “Look, I’m honored I've gotten this chance, to be in that membership making no matter quantity it's. However I believe for me, it doesn't matter what the quantity is, nothing modifications for me. The day of me agreeing to phrases, signing, stuff like that, earlier than I did any of that I acquired my work in. … I’ve at all times been that manner. I don’t plan on altering. It didn’t hassle me. I’m going to be the identical particular person it doesn't matter what occurs, it doesn't matter what anybody says. I’m going to be me.” 

Brunson could be the similar particular person, however his environment will likely be very totally different. He’ll be on a brand new group with new teammates and a brand new coach and will likely be coping with stress in contrast to something he has ever skilled. As acquainted as Brunson could also be with the Knicks’ hierarchy, and the metropolitan space normally, he has by no means handled something fairly like this, because the high-priced newcomer filling a mammoth gap on the roster for a franchise that has suffered by way of a ton of shedding over the past twenty years. 

“I’m positively enthusiastic about how every little thing goes to be, greatest case situations, worst case situations,” he mentioned. “However I believe it doesn't matter what’s happening, I’ve acquired to personal it. If I play dangerous, I acquired to personal it, I've to be higher. If I play effectively, it’s due to my teammates, they made it simpler. 

“I’ve simply acquired to be an individual who's genuine and owns every little thing that he does. That’s step one to being a man who can join with the followers. To personal every little thing that occurs.” 

The Knicks’ offseason isn’t over but. They're in talks with the Jazz to land All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell, which might give them an enormous three of Mitchell, Brunson and RJ Barrett. If that occurs, there could be immense hype surrounding the group. Even when Mitchell, a local of Elmsford, doesn’t discover his manner again to New York, the Knicks are anticipated to be a playoff group largely as a result of addition of Brunson. 

“There’s going to be expectations for certain. I don’t suppose goal is the time period, however the expectations are positively going to be there. Knicks followers are die-hard basketball followers,” Brunson mentioned. “Individuals are anticipating quite a bit, not simply from me, however from this group. I simply acquired to go on the market and present it. There’s quite a bit I can say however on the similar time, it’s not about what you say, however what you do. It’s all about your actions. 

“I’ve at all times been an individual who form of doesn’t say quite a bit. I’d somewhat present it versus say it. Let’s simply say I’m able to go.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post