Keith Hernandez emotional ahead of Mets jersey retirement: ‘Very touching’

Keith Hernandez goes from the sales space again to the sphere, the place he'll turn out to be an immortal Met when his jersey is retired on Saturday.

All of it appeared to hit him in a information convention shortly earlier than the ceremony at Citi Area.

“It’s very touching. It’s a very good second,” an emotional Hernandez instructed reporters earlier than he was set to turn out to be the fourth Mets participant ever (together with Tom Seaver, Mike Piazza and Jerry Koosman) to have his quantity retired.

Hernandez checked out his longtime SNY broadcasting accomplice, Gary Cohen.

“I’m not going to make it, Gare,” Hernandez stated. “ that.”

The 68-year-old Hernandez, who spoke haltingly and thoughtfully about every part the day means to him, stated he solely had written his speech a couple of hours prior.

Keith Hernandez will have his number retired by the Mets on Saturday.
Keith Hernandez may have his quantity retired by the Mets on Saturday.
Robert Sabo/New York Submit
Keith Hernandez poses with his brother Gary and the glove he used in 1986.
Keith Hernandez poses along with his brother Gary and the glove he utilized in 1986.
Robert Sabo/New York Submit
Keith Hernandez with the Mets in 1989.
Keith Hernandez with the Mets in 1989.
ASSOCIATED PRESS

“I did my speech this morning. I’m an amazing procrastinator,” stated Hernandez, who performed for the Mets from 1983-1989. “I awakened I imagine 8 o’clock, 8:30, had espresso. After which I sat down for round an hour, did this speech.”

After which he traveled to Citi Area, the place Mets followers have been ready.

“It should hit me after I go on the market,” stated the 1986 World Collection champion. “I simply drove in proper now, and I see all of the No. 17 jerseys on the market, which was sort of touching and good.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post