Prayer coach & Marine Joe Kennedy on Supreme Court win: ‘I fought for this right’

Joseph Kennedy, a 53-year-old highschool soccer coach in Bremerton, Wash., was fired for praying on the 50-yard line after video games. A former US Marine, Kennedy fought again all the best way to the Supreme Courtroom, the place he received his case in a 6-3 resolution final month, which he referred to as “nice information for your complete nation.” Right here, Kennedy tells The Put up’s Michael Kaplan about his battle, his victory and what he’ll do subsequent.

I by no means meant to be a soccer coach, however possibly it was a part of God’s plan. In 2008, two years after leaving the Marines as a gunnery sergeant, I used to be jogging in Bremerton, the place I reside with my spouse and 5 children. A man pulled up alongside me and requested if I ever considered teaching soccer. On the time I used to be carrying a Bremerton soccer jersey, and it seems he was the highschool’s athletic director. It was somewhat bizarre, however I mentioned I'd give it some thought.

That weekend, I watched a film on TV. It was referred to as “Dealing with the Giants,” a few highschool coach who kneels down and prays to God after every recreation. That hit me within the face. I noticed it as a message, took the part-time paid job as assistant coach for the varsity crew and head coach for junior varsity, and, just like the character within the film, determined to kneel down by myself and quietly thank God after every recreation.

Becoming a coach was "God's plan" says the author, a former marine and father of five.
He believes changing into a coach was “God’s plan,” says the creator, a former Marine and father of 5.
AP

The job was cool. I used to be grateful for being a part of the youngsters’ lives. Like numerous soccer groups, we prayed within the locker room earlier than the video games, asking God to be happy with the crew’s efficiency and assist us give 100%. Then, after every recreation, each groups lined up on the 50-yard line, with gamers from either side shaking fingers and high-fiving because the band performed the varsity battle track. That’s once I received down on one knee and held a helmet to the Heavens. I'd silently say, “God, that was superb. Thanks for these guys.”

My prayer lasted lower than 10 seconds. Then I’d rise up, mud off the mud and grass, and head again to the locker room with the crew.

About six months later, just a few gamers got here up and requested what I used to be doing after the video games. I mentioned I used to be thanking God for what they did. They requested if they may be part of me. I advised them it’s a free nation they usually can do what they need. Three children joined me and I added to my prayer. On the battlefield — the place of blood, sweat and tears — I thanked God for serving to these younger warriors.

After some time, one in all my crew’s captains went over to the opposite crew’s gamers and requested in the event that they needed to affix as properly. Typically they did. On these events, I held up two helmets, one from every crew, and thanked God for all of us. There could be possibly a dozen folks on the 50-yard line and it lasted about 15 seconds. For eight years, we did this prayer after video games and no person thought to remark. Two gamers on our crew didn't wish to take part, and I used to be advantageous with that. I believed sufficient of them that I made them two of our 4 captains.

Joe prayed at the 50-yard line alone until a curious group of players asked if they could join him. It's a free country, he said, and told them they were welcome to participate.
Joe prayed on the 50-yard line alone till a curious group of gamers requested if they may be part of him. It’s a free nation, he mentioned, and advised them they have been welcome to take part.
AP

Then, in September 2015, an individual from one other college district noticed us and referred to as the principal. I discovered later that he had complimented us, telling the principal that what we have been doing was actually superior.

Not lengthy after, I went to the coaches’ workplace to prepare for a recreation after ending my full-time job as a high quality management supervisor at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. The environment within the workplace was informal, because it usually is, with guys determining the lineup and which performs we are going to run. Then one of many coaches immediately mentioned, “Technique to go, Kennedy.” I didn’t know what he was speaking about.

One other one of many coaches mentioned, “The athletic director was in right here, speaking about your prayer. They've considerations.” I requested what he meant. He replied, “Don’t push it.”

Hastily, the state of affairs felt critical. However I attempted to maintain it from bothering me. Whereas within the Marines, I had been in loads of high-pressure spots. I merely requested, “What’s the worst they will do to me?” One of many coaches responded, “They will hearth you.”

Almost in panic mode, I went onto Facebook and typed, “I think I just got fired for praying.” The posting went viral.
Nearly in panic mode, Kennedy went onto Fb and typed, “I believe I simply received fired for praying.” The posting went viral.
AP

Clearly, they didn’t need me to wish, and it made me bristle. As a Marine, I fought for our freedoms, together with the First Modification. I fought for us to have that proper.

Later that night time, we performed the sport, and it went into triple extra time. One other recreation was set to kick off after we completed. There have been lots of people on the sphere; children have been operating far and wide. The athletic director got here as much as me and he supportively mentioned, “Boy, we certain dodged a bullet. You received’t have time to say your prayer.”

I shrugged and advised him, “It’s superb how God works issues out.”

“Clearly, they didn’t need me to wish, and it made me bristle. As a Marine, I fought for our freedoms, together with the First Modification. I fought for us to have that proper.”

Joe Kennedy, on why he took his battle all the best way to the Supreme Courtroom

However then a child from the opposite crew came to visit and requested me to incorporate his helmet once I prayed. I couldn’t say no. Immediately, it was my crew, the opposite crew, some coaches, all of us down on one knee and praying. I appeared over and noticed the athletic director strolling away in a huff. He didn't appear like a cheerful particular person. The assistant coach simply stood there, shaking his head. The top coach mouthed, “They’re going to fireside you.”

That went proper to my intestine. I felt sick to my abdomen and thought I'd throw up. Once we headed to the locker room, not one of the coaches from our crew mentioned something to me. Nearly in panic mode, I went onto Fb and typed, “I believe I simply received fired for praying.” Then I pushed the ship button and turned off my cellphone.

I've solely a handful of associates on Fb and didn't assume it will be a giant deal.

However the subsequent morning, I turned on my cellphone and had numerous messages. The posting went viral. Individuals needed to know what was happening. A buddy referred to as from Virginia and mentioned I used to be on TV. I used to be in shock. One of many reviews mentioned, “Coach fired for praying.” I questioned if I used to be fired.

In 2015, Bremerton High School told Joe that he could continue coaching but he had to stop praying on the field. When Joe refused to stop praying, he was suspended.
In 2015, Bremerton Excessive College advised Kennedy that he might proceed teaching however he needed to cease praying on the sphere. When he refused to cease praying, he was suspended.
Google Maps

Subsequent morning, I went in to satisfy with the superintendent. He advised me that the varsity has a rule towards encouraging or discouraging prayer. The college’s lawyer investigated the state of affairs and gave me a letter stating that it was okay for me to wish so long as it doesn't have an effect on my job duties. And they didn't need me to wish with the scholars.

I used to be completely happy to adjust to that; my unique dedication was to wish by myself. I delicately phrased it to the crew: “Individuals within the administration constructing are involved. I'll recognize it should you let me pray alone after the sport.”

The gamers have been advantageous with that. After the sport ended that week, in mid-September, I went to the 50-yard line, took a knee and prayed by myself. We have been at an away recreation and no person cared.

Joe’s entire legal battle took over six years and earned him three meetings with President Trump.
Kennedy’s complete authorized battle took over six years and earned him three conferences with President Trump.
Getty Photographs

Again on our house discipline, although, after a recreation in October, I prayed silently and alone on the 50-yard line, with my eyes closed. Immediately I smelled gamers round me. I prayed to God it wasn’t my crew. I opened my eyes and noticed that I used to be surrounded by the opposing crew. One in every of my buddies grabbed me and pulled me off the sphere.

The college didn’t like that. I received placed on administrative depart till I complied with a directive to wish out of sight.

At that time, I had began working with attorneys, representing me professional bono, from the Dallas workplace of First Liberty Institute, a nationwide authorized group that defends spiritual liberty for all Individuals. My lawyer began coping with the varsity officers and their attorneys. There have been emails going forwards and backwards.

On October 23, 2015, the varsity despatched an e-mail to my lawyer and me, saying I used to be allowed to educate however not pray on the sphere in any respect. My lawyer responded, saying I refused to conform. That received me suspended.

Joe was in his lawyer's office this past June when he learned that the Supreme Court had ruled in his favor. His first reaction was to raise his arms like his team had made a touchdown.
Kennedy was in his lawyer’s workplace this previous June when he realized that the Supreme Courtroom had dominated in his favor. His first response was to boost his arms like his crew had scored a landing.
AP

I used to be nonetheless allowed to attend video games. I did that, nevertheless it sucked. I sat within the stands and couldn't go on the sphere. I used to be proud simply to be there, nevertheless it damage to observe a child get indignant and throw his helmet onto the bottom. A part of my job was to select up the helmet and put it on the participant’s head.

However I figured I'd be allowed again the next 12 months. I anticipated the suspension to be non permanent.

Then, in November of 2015, my spouse, who works within the college district’s human sources division, got here house with my analysis. It’s a written kind and yearly it got here with an automated renewal if I needed to be rehired. I all the time had excessive marks and the renewal choice. However this 12 months the marks have been horrible they usually checked the “don't renew” field. In large, daring letters, it mentioned, “DO NOT REHIRE.” It was a dying sentence.

I might have simply rolled over and given up on teaching, however I'm a Marine and Marines by no means surrender. So I went the authorized route, to regain my proper to wish on the sphere and to get again my teaching job. In August of 2016, I sued the varsity district on the grounds of violating the First Modification and trampling my civil rights.

For eight years Joe gathered at the 50-yard line reciting prayers that lasted mere seconds; players wishing not to join were entirely free to do so, he writes.
For eight years Kennedy gathered on the 50-yard line reciting prayers that lasted mere seconds; gamers wishing to not be part of have been fully free to take action, he writes.
AP

That was when the varsity district’s lawyer began to say that I pressured college students to wish. That declare shouldn't be correct. In reality, the varsity district even mentioned, once they initially suspended me, that there was no proof of scholars being coerced to wish with me.

I used to be exasperated that they'd go to such a size to make me look dangerous. Native reporters began asking me about this. I challenged them to search out one scholar who felt pressured by me. They usually couldn’t discover anybody. It was rubbish.

We spent six years preventing this factor in court docket. Alongside the best way, President Trump discovered and talked about me in a pair speeches. It was humbling to have the president figuring out my title and, in a while, to truly meet him 3 times. First, when he was operating for president, at a rally, in 2016. One other time, when he was within the White Home, I went to the Oval Workplace and received to take a seat at his desk. That was the best expertise ever.

Then I used to be within the Rose Backyard for the president’s final city corridor in 2020. I requested him what he would do in the course of the subsequent 4 years if re-elected. He mentioned, “I did quite a bit for you with the judges.” It was enjoyable.

Kennedy loved coaching at Bremerton, so much so that he hopes return to the playing field in September.
Kennedy cherished teaching at Bremerton, a lot in order that he hopes to return to the enjoying discipline in September.
Picture credit score: First Liberty Inst

However your complete expertise — significantly being concerned in a Supreme Courtroom case — was overwhelming. I labored full-time, supported my household, received an MBA in aerospace protection by distant courses on the College of Tennessee throughout 2015 and 2016, and labored with my legal professionals on the case. It went from district court docket to the ninth Circuit to the Supreme Courtroom after which again by all three once more. My lawyer likes to say that we misplaced the common season video games and received the Tremendous Bowl.

“Hopefully, everyone’s spiritual rights will now be revered. I don’t assume anybody — no matter their faith — ought to worry praying in public. The First Modification doesn’t solely apply to some Individuals. It applies to all of us.”

Joe Kennedy on successful his Supreme Courtroom case

By way of all of it, I received numerous consideration, nevertheless it sucked. I didn’t wish to be often called the Praying Coach. I needed to be often called a Marine and a superb soccer coach. On the upside, the Structure means every part to me. As a Marine, I swore to defend the Structure. However I didn't anticipate to be doing it as a civilian.

On June 27 this 12 months, I used to be in my lawyer’s workplace in Dallas as a result of all of us knew that the Supreme Courtroom resolution was about to come back down. Everybody was glued to the Supreme Courtroom web site, the place choices get introduced. Then my lawyer mentioned, “It’s there!”

Hastily everybody was leaping up and down, hugging one another, giving excessive fives. The Supreme Courtroom dominated in our favor! I raised my arms within the air, as if I used to be calling a landing. Afterward, we did interviews till midnight. It wasn’t till just a few days later that I went out for a celebratory steak dinner with my household.

Now I’m sitting tight, hoping for the varsity to name me again to educate. [Right after the ruling, a school district spokesperson told the Seattle Times that “it could not confirm” whether Kennedy would be reinstated.] I’m simply keen to take a seat down and speak to the opposite coaches about who will probably be enjoying what positions in September. That's the solely factor I would like. I don’t even need again pay. I’m completely happy to have my spiritual rights and to not have to go away them behind at any time when I am going to the sphere. Hopefully, everyone’s spiritual rights will now be revered. I don’t assume anybody — no matter their faith — ought to worry praying in public. The First Modification doesn’t solely apply to some Individuals. It applies to all of us.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post