Rangers’ 2021 top pick Brennan Othmann gets first taste of NHL draft night

MONTREAL — Brennan Othmann by no means bought the true NHL draft expertise.

The Sixteenth-overall choose in 2021 needed to hear his identify known as throughout a digital model of the entry draft because of the coronavirus pandemic. There was no grand stage to stroll. No echoing sounds of applause round an NHL area. No members of the Rangers’ entrance workplace with whom to shake arms.

Othmann lastly bought his draft second Thursday evening at Bell Centre. Profiting from the truth that one in every of his closest pals, Shane Wright, was as much as be drafted, Othmann got here to Montreal to assist him and in addition get to see what an in-person draft is like. Wright, with whom Othmann stated he has been pals for round six years, was in the end taken fourth total by the Kraken.

The Rangers made some extent to incorporate Othmann of their draft-night agenda, bringing the 19-year-old winger right down to the ground to fulfill administration. He lastly bought these handshakes.

Brennan Othmann
Brennan Othmann
Invoice Kostroun

Othmann will probably be on the Rangers’ improvement camp, which begins on Monday on the MSG Coaching Middle in Tarrytown, in addition to at coaching camp. After a standout season within the Ontario Hockey League with the Flint Firebirds, for which he served as captain and scored 50 objectives with 47 assists, Othmann is aiming to make the Rangers’ opening-night roster.

“I wish to make the crew,” stated Othmann, who was named a primary crew All-Star left winger within the OHL this previous season. “I really feel like I can.

“I feel the aim is to attempt to make the crew as greatest as I can. I do know they’re a robust crew with good, younger gamers and good management there, too. If I could make the crew, I feel it might be nice for me, it might be nice for the group. We’ll see what occurs and I’m excited.”

Ought to Othmann, or 2020 second-round choose Will Cuylle, impress throughout Rangers camp, the group could have to contemplate what they may deliver to the crew relying on what their state of affairs is by way of personnel. Each carry a cap hit of effectively below $1 million and would match below the Rangers’ present cap crunch.

The Rangers, nevertheless, in all probability wouldn’t wish to rush the event of two of their high prospects.

“That’s why we've got a coaching camp and a tryout,” Rangers president and common supervisor Chris Drury stated Thursday throughout the first spherical of the draft. “I’m glad that’s what his aim is. Clearly he had a heck of a yr final yr and it was actually good to see him at this time. These children, quite a lot of them missed out on this expertise. I do know another groups did it too, but it surely was actually good to see him right here at this time. … We’re trying ahead to seeing him at improvement camp subsequent week.”

After collaborating within the Rangers’ camp final yr, Othmann stated he had quite a lot of confidence heading into his second season with the Firebirds. It confirmed because the Ontario native pieced collectively a standout season, which included 9 objectives and 15 assists in 19 playoff video games.

Requested what he targeted on throughout this previous season, Othmann stated his defensive sport and total confidence.

“I feel popping out of my rookie yr, I used to be just a bit bit down within the dumps and stuff like that,” he stated. “We had a very good crew and with COVID and also you sort of get down. I simply gained quite a lot of confidence at Rangers camp and this yr in Flint. I labored on my defensive sport loads, I do know that was the largest factor for me. Engaged on my defensive sport and skating.“I labored on that loads throughout the season and I’m nonetheless engaged on it now within the offseason. Hopefully I can deliver that to camp on Monday and the season this yr.”

Othmann additionally plans to spend a while together with his household after not seeing them for some 9 months. However when Othmann hits the ice at improvement camp on Monday, there will probably be only one factor in thoughts: incomes a spot on the NHL roster.

“Simply attempting to be slightly bit assured,” Othmann stated. “I had a very good season. I performed effectively, I did effectively for myself, I did effectively for my group. If I can include that quantity of confidence to Rangers camp, hopefully make the crew, it’ll be one thing actually particular.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post