Royals’ Whit Merrifield apologizes for COVID-19 vaccine comments

Whit Merrifield tried to backtrack from his feedback on the COVID-19 vaccine on Friday, calling them “poorly articulated” previous to the Royals’ first recreation of the second half towards the Rays.

The outfielder and second baseman missed the group’s journey to Toronto previous to the All-Star break, saying, “If it was doing what it was purported to do and stopping the unfold of COVID, [then] I'd have just a little extra willingness to take it, nevertheless it’s not doing that.”

“I’m sorry that I poorly articulated the purpose I used to be making an attempt to make,” Merrifield instructed reporters on Friday. “It’s an uncomfortable subject and I began rambling on and making an attempt to make a degree about my ardour for successful that had no relevance to the subject that was being mentioned. For that I'm actually sorry.”

Merrifield additionally apologized for saying he could be extra prone to get vaccinated if traded to a contender.

Whit Merrifield is one of 10 Royals players who is unvaccinated.
Whit Merrifield is one in all 10 Royals gamers who's unvaccinated.
Getty Photographs

“I didn’t say folks misunderstood it, I poorly articulated the purpose I used to be making an attempt to say,” Merrifield mentioned. “If what was standing between me and the playoffs was this vaccine, I'd think about getting it. I didn’t say I'd get it for an additional group or wouldn’t get it for this group, it was merely a degree about exhibiting how a lot I worth taking part in within the playoffs.”

Merrifield, who's hitting .240 this season, spoke to the group about his feedback, supervisor Mike Matheny mentioned, and needs to maneuver on.

The Royals have 10 unvaccinated gamers on their roster, together with All-Star outfielder Andrew Benintendi. As GM Dayton Moore will get set to unload items on the commerce deadline, the lack of a giant chunk of his roster to play in Canada is anticipated to be a hindrance.

“Sadly, I didn’t actually notice what I mentioned,” Merrifield mentioned. “It took me studying it to grasp the way it might come throughout. … I’ve needed to play within the playoffs for the reason that time I placed on cleats and that feeling is robust. The vaccine factor … folks have very robust emotions about it and I really feel the best way I really feel about it.”

Merrifield added that he doesn’t thoughts if followers are upset by his stance.

“These guys in right here know me and know what I’m all about and the way a lot I take care of them,” he mentioned. “Each time I’ve taken the sphere and stepped between the strains I’ve given every thing I had every single day. If folks really feel a necessity to specific their emotions in the direction of me, that’s completely positive.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post