Tiger Woods ‘emotional’ after missing cut at 2022 British Open

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland – Tiger Woods had simply teed off final in his threesome on the 18th, and he was first to achieve the fabled Swilcan Bridge that leads gamers over the small burn and onto the green.

The 46-year-old Woods slowed his stroll as he bought to the bridge and doffed his white Nike cap, waving it in his proper hand to the 1000's of spectators packing the grounds, roaring.

Woods, taking part in with reigning U.S. Open champion Matt Fitzpatrick and Max Homa, was 9-over par for the event and miles from making the reduce to play the weekend on the St. Andrews Previous Course, his professed favourite on the earth.

Fitzpatrick and Homa subtly stayed again as Woods approached the bridge alone, the stage cleared for the monumental second.

When Woods bought onto the bridge, there was no ceremonial cease on the prime to pause and soak all of it in, as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Tom Watson had completed earlier than him of their respective closing aggressive Open Championship rounds at St. Andrews.

Tiger Woods waves to spectators as he walks over the Swilken Bridge
Tiger Woods waves to spectators as he walks over the Swilken Bridge
Reuters

“It’s very emotional for me,’’ Woods acknowledged afterward. “I’ve been coming right here since 1995, and I don’t know when … I feel the subsequent one comes round (again to St. Andrews) in what, 2030. I don’t know if I can be bodily capable of play by then. So, to me, it felt like this may need been my final British Open right here at St Andrews.

“The heat and the ovation at 18, it bought to me,’’ Woods went on. “I had a number of tears. I’m not one who will get very teary-eyed fairly often about something. However in the case of the sport and the passing on of … simply the transition … I used to be fortunate sufficient in ’95 to look at Arnold hit his first tee shot within the second spherical as I used to be going to the vary. And I might hear Jack taking part in his final one, I used to be in all probability about 4 holes behind him.

“Simply to listen to the ovations getting louder and louder and louder. I felt that as I used to be coming in. The individuals knew that I wasn’t going to make the reduce on the quantity I used to be. However the ovations bought louder as I used to be coming dwelling. And that to me was … it felt simply the respect. I’ve all the time revered this occasion. I’ve all the time revered the traditions of the sport.’’

Tiger Woods plays a shot on the 2nd hole during the second day of the British Open on Friday, July 15, 2022.
Tiger Woods performs a shot on the 2nd gap in the course of the second day of the British Open on Friday, July 15, 2022.
Getty Photos

Woods felt the burden of the second on 18 when Fitzpatrick and Homa paused to let him stroll to the bridge first.

“I felt the fellows cease there off the tee on 18, and it was simply unimaginable,’’ Woods mentioned. “I regarded over there, and Rory (McIlroy, who was taking part in No. 1 when Woods was on 18) gave me a tip of the cap. J.T. (Justin Thomas, who was on the primary tee when Woods was on the 18th inexperienced) did the identical. It’s simply there’s one thing to it that’s simply totally different.

“I perceive what Jack and Arnold had gone by way of prior to now. I used to be sort of feeling that means there on the finish. And simply the collective heat and understanding. They perceive what golf’s all about and what it takes to be an Open champion.’’

Woods has received three Claret Jugs amongst his 15 main championship victories and two of them got here at St. Andrews, in 2000 and 2005.

“I’ve been fortunate sufficient and lucky sufficient to have received this twice right here, and it felt very emotional, simply because I simply don’t know what my well being goes to be like,’’ Woods mentioned. “I really feel like I will play future British Opens, however I don’t know if I’ll be capable to play that lengthy sufficient that when it comes again round right here, will I nonetheless be taking part in?’’

Tiger Woods plays from the 13th fairway during day two of The Open at the Old Course, St Andrews.
Tiger Woods performs from the thirteenth fairway throughout day two of The Open on the Previous Course, St Andrews.
PA Photos by way of Getty Photos

Woods’ Open started with a tee shot that got here to relaxation in a fairway divot on No. 1, which was adopted by hitting his strategy shot into the burn and taking a double bogey. He by no means recovered and shot 78 on Thursday. It didn’t get significantly better Friday as Woods, who mentioned on Thursday night time he felt like he wanted to shoot a second-round 66 to make the reduce, shot 75.

“I made my share of errors,’’ Woods mentioned. “Struggled once more in the present day to get the texture of the greens. I left a whole lot of putts brief once more, identical as yesterday.’’

Fittingly, after hitting a terrific bump-and-run pitch to inside 4 ft on 18, Woods rimmed out the birdie putt for a disappointing par.

“I simply by no means bought something going,’’ he mentioned. “I wanted to shoot a low one in the present day and I actually didn't try this. I’m a bit of ticked that I’m not taking part in on the weekend. I actually didn't play adequate to be round. I want I'd have performed higher.’’

Woods made it clear that he’s not completed with event golf.

“I’m not retiring from the sport,’’ he mentioned. “However I don’t know if I can be bodily capable of play again right here once more when it comes again round. I’ll be capable to play future British Opens, sure, however eight years’ time, I doubt if I’ll be aggressive at this stage.

“It’s a battle simply taking part in simply the three occasions I performed this 12 months. That in itself was one thing I’m very happy with. I used to be capable of play these three occasions, contemplating what has transpired (together with his February 2021 automotive crash). Hopefully, we do extra exhausting work and provides myself some extra possibilities subsequent 12 months to play a number of extra occasions.

“Life strikes on.’’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post