Viktor Hovland all smiles after 15th-hole eagle at British Open: ‘Unbelievable’

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland — Viktor Hovland is understood for his perpetual smile. And nobody on Friday had a much bigger smile than the 24-year-old from Norway broke into after he holed out for eagle on the Fifteenth gap. 

The eagle received Hovland to 9-under. He then birdied 18 to get to 10-under, three pictures behind chief Cam Smith, after the second spherical of the British Open at St. Andrews. 

“I hit it within the left tough off the tee, and I had 125 meters to the pin and all that I used to be attempting to do was simply end it 30 toes left of the pin and simply take a putt going up and take my par and transfer on,’’ Hovland stated. “As quickly as I hit it, the ball simply form of drifted off a bit additional proper than I assumed. I used to be a bit involved it was going to go too far proper … however it straightened out and someway landed on that facet slope softly and simply trickled in. That was unbelievable.’’ 

Viktor Hovland
Viktor Hovland
REUTERS

Collin Morikawa missed the reduce, turning into the primary participant to fail to make the reduce as a defending Open champion since Darren Clarke, who gained the Open in 2011 and missed the reduce in 2012. … Phil Mickelson’s struggles continued this week. After taking pictures an opening-round even-par 72, which had him on the cutline, the 52-year-old Mickelson shot a 5-over 77 on Friday to overlook the reduce. He’ll subsequent play on the LIV Golf occasion at Trump Nationwide in Bedminster, N.J., in two weeks. 


Adam Scott was 4-over by means of his first six holes on Thursday, however performed his manner into rivalry and stood at 7-under coming into the weekend. That made him 11-under in his final 30 holes after he shot 65 on Friday. 

The Aussie stated his comeback on Thursday “was nearly as good because the 65’’ he shot Friday. 

“After six holes issues weren’t feeling notably good,’’ he stated. “I’m actually happy with that. I did a variety of great things on the market at present. So hopefully extra of that on the weekend. Rounds two and three I needed to get into double digits below par to also have a likelihood. I’m on my manner.” 


Englishman Robert Dinwiddie, who received into the sphere having gotten by means of qualifying and who’s ranked 1,779th on the earth, made the reduce on the quantity regardless of taking pictures a 5-over 77 that adopted a 5-under 67 within the opening spherical. 

Robert Dinwiddie
Robert Dinwiddie
AP

When he completed his spherical, the cutline was even-par, however he needed to wait it out to see if that will be adequate to maintain him right here for the weekend. 

“Clearly, a disappointing rating, however I fought exhausting,’’ he stated. “It will imply so much to play the weekend. It will make all of the qualifying and issues value it. So, I’ve received my fingers crossed that it’s sufficient.’’ 

It was. 


Mark Calcavecchia, the 1989 Open champion who’s now 62 years outdated, performed his ultimate Open spherical Friday, ending final amongst 156 gamers within the subject at 21-over, along with his spouse on the bag for him. 

“I’m undecided what I used to be anticipating, however I felt it, I felt the feelings,’’ Calcavecchia stated. “I received a bit mildly choked up. All the best way round, the final two days, the followers have been nice. They have been cheering for me and pulling for me, and so they’ll conscious that this was my final Open. In order that was fairly cool. It means so much. 

“Overlook about my golf, it wouldn’t have mattered if I shot a pair of 75s or a pair of 85s, which I practically did, it was about taking part in another, my final one right here on the residence of golf, which is admittedly cool to have the ability to finish it right here.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post