Adrien Broner withdraws from upcoming fight due to mental health reasons

Former boxing champion Adrien Broner introduced Monday he withdrew from an upcoming combat in opposition to Oscar Figueroa, citing psychological well being considerations.

The four-time world champion revealed his resolution on social media. The combat was set to happen in Hollywood, Florida, and was set to air on Showtime.

“Sorry to all my followers however #MentalHealth is actual and I’m not about to play contained in the ring I’ve watched lots of people die enjoying with they boxing profession and that's one thing I gained’t do exactly pray for me I really like the game of boxing to a lot to not give my all and I really feel Like I got here up brief earlier than as a result of my thoughts wasn’t 100% there and I be dam if I make that mistake once more I have to make some adjustments for the higher as an alternative of worrying about different folks emotions and pleasing them when In all actuality I've nothing to show to no person,” he wrote in an Instagram submit.

“I’m a 4 time world champion in 4 totally different weight courses and if I by no means lace up a pair of gloves once more I really feel prefer it’s secure to say I will probably be inducted into the #BoxingHallOfFame So I've to step again and overcome this impediment earlier than I am going put my life on the road contained in the sq. circle once more I do know I’m removed from being completed with the game SEE YALL SOON.”

Adrien Broner withdrew Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, from his nationally televised fight against Omar Figueroa on Saturday night.
Adrien Broner withdrew Monday, Aug. 15, 2022, from his nationally televised combat in opposition to Omar Figueroa on Saturday night time.
AP Picture/Damian Dovarganes, File

The Cincinnati native is 34-4-1 in his boxing profession with 24 knockouts.

He final fought Jovanie Santiago in February 2021 through unanimous resolution. Earlier than that, he misplaced to Manny Pacquiao through unanimous resolution in January 2019.

On the peak of his profession, Broner held the WBO tremendous featherweight championship, the WBC light-weight championship, the WBA welterweight championship and the WBA gentle welterweight championship.

Broner has had his troubles outdoors of the ring.

Adrien Broner previously fought the likes of Manny Pacquiao.
Adrien Broner beforehand fought the likes of Manny Pacquiao.
AP Picture/John Locher

In 2019, he had a restraining order issued in opposition to him after making homophobic threats on social media. He was later ordered to pay $830,000 in damages for sexually assaulting a girl in a Cleveland nightclub.

Final 12 months, Broner was jailed for a parole violation when he did not enroll in a court-mandated alcohol remedy program.

The Related Press contributed to this report.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post