Aryna Sabalenka struggles to keep it together in press conference after US Open collapse

A big pair of mirrored sun shades couldn’t conceal Aryna Sabalenka’s feelings after her crushing US Open semifinal loss.

Sabalenka noticed a 4-2 lead within the third set disintegrate in opposition to high seed Iga Swiatek, who received 16 of the ultimate 20 factors to stamp her spot within the ultimate in opposition to Ons Jabeur. Sabalenka arrived at her post-match press convention in glasses and a hat tucked low as she answered questions for a number of minutes, along with her voice cracking at instances.

Sabalenka was requested if she was “proud” of this efficiency, in comparison with final 12 months’s U.S. Open semifinal, when she misplaced to Leylah Fernandez in three units.

Aryna Sabalenka during her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
Aryna Sabalenka throughout her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
UPI/Shutterstock

“Really proper now, I actually don’t really feel that approach, however my staff retains telling me I've to be happy with myself for these previous couple of months,” mentioned Sabalenka, who as a Belarusian was banned from Wimbledon.

“I don’t really feel that approach, although. I really feel in these three semifinals [also including 2021 Wimbledon] I had alternatives and I didn’t use them, I suppose. I'm attempting to suppose every part occurs for a cause and I suppose it make me actually stronger. Within the subsequent semifinal, I will probably be a lot stronger as a participant.”

Sabalenaka received the primary set 6-3 earlier than Swiatek responded with a dominant 6-1 second set. Sabalenka’s typically dominant serve deserted her within the ultimate video games, permitting Swiatek — a two-time French Open champion — to grab management of the match in a surprising ultimate blitz.

Aryna Sabalenka during her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
Aryna Sabalenka throughout her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
UPI/Shutterstock
Aryna Sabalenka during her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
Aryna Sabalenka throughout her US Open loss on Sept. 8, 2022
UPI/Shutterstock

To open her press convention, the 24-year-old Sabalenka was requested how she was feeling.

“Probably not good,” mentioned Sabalenka, who credited Swiatek’s play within the “key moments” because the distinction within the match.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post