Coco Gauff rolls into third round of US Open, will face Madison Keys next

Coco Gauff continues to assault the lofty expectations hanging over her 18-year-old head.

The No. 12-seeded American rallied from a 3-5 deficit within the second set to drive a tiebreaker earlier than in the end defeating Elena-Gabriela Ruse 6-2, 7-6 (4) to advance to the third spherical of the U.S. Open on Wednesday at Arthur Ashe Stadium. Now the second-youngest participant left within the ladies’s draw, Gauff is about to face Madison Keys in a gripping all-American conflict Friday night time.

“I performed her at Wimbledon, it was a tricky three-set battle, I knew it was going to be one other robust battle as we speak,” she stated after the match. “The set factors, I used to be simply saying, ‘Get the ball on the court docket.’ I acquired fortunate. She double-faulted on one in every of them. That was slightly little bit of luck.

“Apart from that, I’m tremendous proud of my efficiency as we speak. I do know the following match will likely be robust, however I’m wanting ahead to it.”

After cruising to a first-set victory, Gauff stumbled a bit via the primary few factors of the second. With Ruse serving at 40-15, Gauff all of a sudden shifted into one other gear and turned up the strain. She utilized her spectacular mobility and coated each sq. inch of the court docket, leaving no areas susceptible.

Coco Gauff hits a forehand return during her second-round victory at the U.S. Open.
Coco Gauff hits a forehand return throughout her second-round victory on the U.S. Open.
Corey Sipkin

Throughout the longest rally of the sport at 22 strokes, Gauff unleashed a deadly backhand crossing shot for a winner that had her clenching her fist with fury. Ruse then double-faulted to make it five-all. Regardless that it went to a tiebreaker, Gauff capitalized on the massive factors and didn’t go away a lot room for pleasure.

Gauff, sporting her personal multicolored signature New Steadiness sneakers, landed an enormous backhand throughout the closing level to safe her thirty second victory of 2022.

“I believe it’s all about momentum,” stated Gauff, who dominated her first-round opponent, France’s Leolia Jeanjean, 6-2, 6-3 in her first profession win on Ashe earlier this week. “I believe in some components of the match I used to be being too aggressive. It’s all about discovering the stability. Gabby, she’s an aggressive participant. Generally it’s not on goal being passive. Generally she simply hits the ball very well so I simply must play protection.”

A jubilant Coco Gauff celebrates after her second-round US Open win.
A jubilant Coco Gauff celebrates after her second-round US Open win.
Corey Sipkin

After placing forth a powerful service sport within the first spherical — hitting eight aces, successful 91 % of her first-serve factors and by no means dealing with a single breakpoint — Gauff had an above-average encore within the class. She blasted 5 aces and gained 67 % of her first-serve factors.

Within the first set, Gauff hit a serve 128 miles per hour.

“Wow,” Gauff stated with an expressive whistle. “I don’t know, I’m not going for the quickest serve, to be trustworthy. Generally I say, ‘Go exhausting physique.’ I did see the serve clock afterwards. I did see it stated 128. I checked out it and I used to be like, ‘Whoa.’ I don’t know the way that occurred.


Catch all of the motion from Serena Williams’ closing US Open event earlier than her retirement. The New York Submit has dwell protection, updates and evaluation as she faces Anett Kontaveit.


“I form of checked out her after. I hit a pair good serves that sport, like within the 120s. She was laughing at her field. I used to be like, ‘I don’t know what’s happening both.’

Keys narrowly escaped a good match towards Camila Giorgi, rising with a 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (10-7) victory to advance. The 2 met for the primary time again in January, when Keys bested Gauff in three units to advance to the ultimate of the Adelaide Worldwide.

In acknowledging what an aggressive participant Keys is, Gauff stated she discovered so much from their final match, however added that she’s in a a lot better head area than she was again then. She’s taking part in assured tennis now, Gauff stated, so Keys might face a distinct model of the younger star.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post