Giants’ Kadarius Toney takes limited Week 1 playing time in stride

Prepared.

That's how Kadarius Toney outlined how he felt heading into final Sunday’s recreation in Nashville, the beginning of his second season with the Giants.

“I get up prepared,’’ Toney mentioned Wednesday after apply. “It’s by no means actually a degree once I’m not prepared. Whether or not I’m over right here laughing or taking part in, do no matter I do, I at all times have a locked-in mindset.’’

That mindset was examined throughout and after the Giants scored a giant upset in Week 1, beating the Titans 21-20. Toney was extra spectator than participant. The Giants ran 60 performs on offense and Toney was on the sphere at Nissan Stadium for less than seven of them. He didn't contact the ball till early within the fourth quarter.

This was sudden. Toney shook off a knee situation in coaching camp that stored him out of all three preseason video games and there have been no bodily limitations for him because the Giants kicked off their season. Coach Brian Daboll defined there have been a number of packages that included Toney however they weren't referred to as because the Giants got here again from a 13-0 halftime deficit with three second-half touchdowns.

“You wish to do what you possibly can for the staff,’’ Toney mentioned. “That’s what I did. I used to be there when my quantity was referred to as. Easy.

Giants receiver Kadarius Toney answers questions from reporters.
Giants receiver Kadarius Toney solutions questions from reporters.
N.Y. Submit: Noah Ok. Murray

“I imply, on the finish of the day I did my job. I receives a commission to do one factor, do my job, bro. I receives a commission to play, not coach. I don’t know what the plan was. I did put together as if I used to be getting into to play each play. I don’t know what else to say.’’

Credit score Toney for dealing with this with maturity, a trait he didn't at all times show as a rookie final season, when accidents, lack of productiveness — no touchdowns — and some mini-controversies left him partaking in terse exchanges with the media.

“It’s greater than one recreation,’’ he mentioned. “We obtained a 17-game season.’’

Daboll took discover of Toney’s physique language and response when Randy Bullock’s 47-yard field-goal try sailed vast left as time expired.

“Kadarius is 6 toes up within the air, leaping,’’ Daboll mentioned. “And he solely performed seven snaps. So, that’s what we’re making an attempt to construct.’’

The vast receiver taking part in time distribution will likely be one thing to look at shifting ahead. Kenny Golladay had an uneven summer season and but he was on the sphere for 46 of the 60 offensive snaps. It got here as a shock that Richie James was subsequent among the many receivers with 32 snaps. It was a good greater shock that James led the Giants in vast receiver targets (six) and catches (5).

Sterling Shepard, showing in his first recreation since tearing his Achilles tendon final December, performed 43 snaps. Shepard connected with Daniel Jones for the most important move play of the day, a 65-yard catch-and-run for a third-quarter landing. David Sills didn't have a catch or a goal in 27 snaps.

Even with rookie Wan’Dale Robinson lasting solely 9 snaps in his NFL debut earlier than leaving with a knee harm, Toney couldn't get on the sphere.

The primary contact of the season for Toney got here early within the fourth quarter, when he gained 19 yards on a jet sweep. The one different time he obtained the ball in his fingers was when offensive coordinator Mike Kafka referred to as for a trick play, with Toney having the choice to throw a move if he discovered an open teammate. Toney, who has a robust arm, determined in opposition to this and as an alternative ran for 4 yards on what was the game-winning drive.

“On the time the defenders obtained too near me and I didn’t have look that I wished downfield so I ended up making a greater choice,’’ Toney mentioned.

Kadarius Toney runs with the ball during Giants practice.
Kadarius Toney runs with the ball throughout Giants apply.
N.Y. Submit: Noah Ok. Murray

Daboll the opposite day was not talking about Toney instantly when he talked about that correct preparation the week main right into a recreation goes a good distance in figuring out the taking part in rotation.

“If that’s what’s required of me, that’s what I obtained to do,’’ Toney mentioned. “Everyone is aware of I had the harm a few weeks in the past, that’s why I wasn’t on the sphere.

“You put together each week such as you’re taking part in. I had a number of formations I used to be alleged to be in, we didn’t get round to them. Ain’t nothing else that must be defined.’’

Toney wouldn't speculate whether or not he believes taking part in time will improve in Sunday’s residence opener in opposition to the Panthers. He did sound incredulous when he was requested if he have been dissatisfied with what went down with him in recreation No. 1.

“Disappointing in a victory? Disappointment in successful?’’ Toney mentioned. “You sound loopy.

“If I performed two performs, one play and we gained I don’t actually care.’’

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post