‘House of the Dragon’ star Graham McTavish sleeps next to his giant sword

Scottish actor Graham McTavish is king of the franchises.

He’s been in hit sci-fi and fantasy diversifications (“The Hobbit,” “Outlander”), he’s entered the Marvel world (in animated type) and he’s at present in two juggernaut exhibits concurrently: as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Harrold Westerling, in the already renewed “Recreation of Thrones” spinoff “Home of the Dragon” (Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO) and as Sigismund Dijkstra in “The Witcher” (Netflix), at present filming Season 3.

McTavish, 61, spoke to The Put up about his profession. 

Had been your roles in these franchises a deliberate selection?

Sure, it’s a marketing campaign of world domination. If it’s obtained a sword in it, and a cloak, and perhaps a candle, and a horse, I’m there. I sleep with these issues by my mattress. Effectively, perhaps not the horse. However I’m very in tune with my form of fantastical self. I really like these issues, I’ve at all times been an enormous sci-fi and fantasy fan. Actually, it’s simply the way it’s labored out. The final 10 to 12 years, it’s been one fantasy after one other. I’m filming “The Witcher” in London in the mean time. I had the weird expertise of filming “The Witcher“ through the day, after which actually having to get turned into my outfit for the premiere for “Home of the Dragon.” It was very odd. Actually shedding one character to go and discuss one other. 

Graham McTavish smiling
Graham McTavish
AFP by way of Getty Photographs

Had been you a fan of “Recreation of Thrones” earlier than getting forged in “Home of the Dragon?” 

Oh sure, completely. So I used to be excited to be a part of that world. I keep in mind I obtained the information, and I used to be with my kids on the time, they’re 10 and 15. And their first query was, “Do you get to trip a dragon?” I needed to disappoint them as a result of I didn’t. However I spent quite a lot of time round [dragons]. It’s an odd factor, as a result of clearly you’re having them represented in all kinds of unusual methods on set — one in every of which was actually a laser pen on the roof that we might have a look at, and that might be the dragon flying round. We use our creativeness on a regular basis after we’re performing, however in a state of affairs like that, it's important to combat towards the intuition to really feel a little bit silly, a tennis ball on the top of a stick and making an attempt to think about that that could be a fire-breathing dragon. It was nice enjoyable, although. 

After I walked into the throne room, it was simply me and Milly Alcock, who performs the younger Rhaenyra — and while you see that iconic Iron Throne if you happen to’re standing there in a swimsuit of armor with a large sword, little or no performing is required. You simply immerse your self in that world. 

Ser Harrold Westerling (Graham McTavish) with Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (Milly Alcock) in "House of the Dragon" standing in a doorway.
Ser Harrold Westerling (Graham McTavish) with Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (Milly Alcock) in “Home of the Dragon.”
Photograph by Ollie Upton / HBO

You had been additionally in “The Hobbit” movies. Are you planning to look at the “Lord of the Rings” TV present? 

Oh yeah, I’m going to be very to see how it's. Once you’ve been a part of that Center Earth fandom, you get a little bit proprietary, you wish to see how that legacy is being taken care of. So I believe I’m not going to be alone among the many forged of “The Hobbit” or “The Lord of the Rings.” We’ll all be tuning in.

What are you able to share about Season 3 of “The Witcher“?

I can’t share any of the plot, however I can say that I’m having a beautiful time. It's actually a stunning forged. There’s quite a lot of laughter on that set, and Henry Cavill is a stunning man to work with. It’s nice; [my character] Sigismund Dijkstra is a crafty, manipulative particular person. He has an agenda, he won't be deflected from it [and] we will count on a little bit extra of that from him. 

Graham McTavish as Sigismund Dijkstra in "The Witcher."
Graham McTavish as Sigismund Dijkstra in “The Witcher.”
Courtesy of Netflix

And there’s extra of your journey docuseries “Males in Kilts” along with your “Outlander” co-star Sam Heughan?

Season 2 is ready in New Zealand. I spend a part of my time there as a result of that’s the place my kids are, so Sam [Heughan] joined me and we drove across the nation from prime to backside. In case you thought I used to be scared in Season 1, wait till you see how scared I get in Season 2. [Sam] is set to — I don’t know, give me a coronary heart assault, everlasting PTSD, nightmares. It looks like his aim in life is to scale back me to tears as usually as attainable.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post