Matt Smith: Queen watched ‘The Crown,’ Prince Harry called me ‘Grandad’

“The Crown” star Matt Smith revealed that Queen Elizabeth II — who died Sept. 8 at 96 — did, in actual fact, view Netflix’s royal household drama.

The British actor, who portrayed the monarch’s late husband, Prince Philip, in Seasons 1 and a couple of, dished how she watched the present.

“I heard the queen had watched it,” the “Home of the Dragon” star, 39, mentioned on a Thursday look on the “Immediately” present. “She used to look at it on a projector on a Sunday evening, apparently.”

As for the Duke of Edinburgh, who died final April at 99, Smith famous that he didn’t stream the sequence.

“I do know that Philip undoubtedly didn’t,” Smith, who performed a younger Philip, mentioned. “My buddy sat subsequent to him at [a] dinner and requested. I feel Philip requested my buddy if he made ‘The Crown.’ [My friend said,] ‘I can’t resist. Have you ever watched “The Crown”?’ [And then Philip] circled and mentioned, ‘Don’t be ridiculous.'”

Smith additionally added that there was a second at an occasion when he met Prince Harry and the previous royal dropped a joke on him.

“[Harry called me] Grandad,” Smith mentioned. “I can’t declare to know if he watches [‘The Crown’] at present, however he watched a bit then.”

THE CROWN, (front, center): Claire Foy (as Queen Elizabeth II), (back, right): Matt Smith, 'Smoke & Mirrors', (Season 1, ep. 105, aired Nov. 4, 2016)
Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II and Matt Smith as Prince Philip in Season 1 of “The Crown,” 2016
©Netflix/Courtesy Everett Assortment

Harry beforehand confessed that he watched a number of the sequence along with his spouse, Meghan Markle. The Duke of Sussex, 38, stopped by “The Late Late Present With James Corden” in February 2021 and famous how the sequence was a bit of fictitious.

“It’s loosely based mostly on the reality,” Harry mentioned. “In fact, it’s not strictly correct … It offers you a tough concept of what that life-style, what the pressures of placing responsibility and repair above household and the whole lot else, what can come from that.”

Nonetheless, Harry most well-liked the present over information reviews.

"The Crown" has a complicated relationship with the royal family as it shows both good and bad sides of the family.
A number of members of the Agency have reportedly watched the Netflix royal drama.
Netflix

“I’m far more snug with ‘The Crown’ than I'm seeing the tales written about my household or my spouse or myself, as a result of it’s the distinction between [‘The Crown’ being] clearly fiction, take it how you'll, however [my life] is being reported on as truth since you’re supposedly information,” he mentioned. “I've an actual problem with that.”

In 2016, “Physician Who” alum Smith opened up about assembly Prince William at a polo event throughout an look on “The Graham Norton Present” alongside his “Crown” co-star Claire Foy.

He mentioned how he felt mortified to inform the 40-year-old Duke of Cambridge that he could be taking part in his grandfather on the present.

“The girl who was doing the lineup mentioned, ‘That is Matt and he’s about to play Prince Philip.’ After which she mentioned, ‘Have you ever obtained any recommendation for him?'” Smith mentioned on the time. “After which I assumed, ‘God, I’m going to die.’ All [William] mentioned [about Philip was], ‘Legend. He’s an absolute legend.’”

Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II died at age 96 final Thursday.
Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Photos

As for his love for the royal household, Smith mentioned on “Immediately” that he needs to look at the sovereign’s funeral on Monday.

“I feel it’s a bit of historical past. I don’t assume we'll ever have a monarch who serves for 70 years once more … I need to be in London. I need to expertise it. I feel I need to share within the ceremony of it, actually,” he mentioned. “[I want to] watch it in my native pub with a gaggle of associates.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post