Roger Federer retiring from tennis after many ‘challenges’

First Serena, now Roger.

Roger Federer, arguably the best males’s tennis participant of all time, introduced Thursday he will likely be retiring from the game after the Laver Cup subsequent week in London. The 41-year-old cited the challenges of age and accidents.

The Swiss maestro has gained 20 Grand Slam occasions in his illustrious profession.

Roger Federer
Roger Federer
Getty Pictures
Roger Federer hits a smash at the Laver Cup in 2007.
Roger Federer hits a smash on the Laver Cup in 2007.
Getty Pictures

Federer final performed at Wimbledon in 2021, shedding within the fourth spherical to Hubert Hurkacz. He has battled a persistent knee damage since then, which has stored him off the courtroom.

“Of all of the presents that tennis has given me over time, the best, indubitably, has been the folks I’ve met alongside the way in which: my buddies, my opponents, and most of all of the followers who give the game its life. At this time, I need to share some information with all of you,” Federer mentioned in a press release.

“As lots of you recognize, the previous three years have introduced me with challenges within the type of accidents and surgical procedures. I’ve labored laborious to return to full aggressive type. However I additionally know my physique’s capacities and limits, and its message to me these days has been clear. I'm 41 years outdated, I've performed greater than 1,500 matches over 24 years. Tennis has handled me extra generously than I ever would have dreamt, and now I need to acknowledge when it’s time to finish my aggressive profession. The Laver Cup subsequent week in London will likely be my last ATP occasion. I'll play extra tennis sooner or later, after all, however simply not in Grand Slams or on the tour.”

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in 2019
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in 2019
POOL/AFP by way of Getty Pictures
Roger Federer at Wimbledon 2021
Roger Federer at Wimbledon in 2021
Getty Pictures
Roger Federer at Wimbledon on July 8, 2012
Roger Federer at Wimbledon on July 8, 2012
Getty Pictures

Federer started charging up the rankings within the late Nineties earlier than turning into essentially the most dominant participant within the sport. Federer’s first Grand Slam championship got here at Wimbledon in 2003 — the primary of 5 straight titles he gained on the All England Membership. In 2004, Federer gained three of the 4 Grand Slams, with solely the French Open escaping him.

“This can be a bittersweet resolution, as a result of I'll miss every thing that the tour has given me. However on the similar time, there's a lot to have fun,” Federer mentioned. “I think about myself probably the most lucky folks on Earth. I used to be given a particular expertise to play tennis, and I did it at a degree that I by no means imagined, for for much longer than I ever thought doable.

“The final 24 years on tour have been an unbelievable journey. Whereas it generally felt prefer it glided by in 24 hours, it has additionally been so deep and magical that it appears as if I’ve already lived a lifetime. I've had the immense fortune to play in entrance of you in over 40 completely different international locations. I've laughed and cried, felt pleasure and ache, and most of all I've felt extremely alive.”

Federer lastly accomplished his profession Grand Slam at Roland Garros in 2009, with lots of his makes an attempt earlier than and after thwarted by longtime rival Rafael Nadal. Federer, Nadal and later Novak Djokovic dominated the lads’s sport for 20 years with 63 Grand Slam titles between them.

Roger Federer hits a drop shot
Roger Federer hits a drop shot
AP
Roger Federer celebrates winning the French Open in 2009.
Roger Federer celebrates profitable the French Open in 2009.
AFP by way of Getty Pictures
Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer at the US Open in 2013.
Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer on the US Open in 2013.
Charles Sykes/Invision/AP

Every of the three had gained 20 Grand Slams earlier than Nadal gained the Australian and French Opens this yr, whereas Djokovic claimed Wimbledon. The epic battles between the three on the largest phases of the game won't ever be forgotten.

Serena Williams introduced her retirement forward of the U.S. Open earlier this month.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post