Ben Simmons details what went on behind scenes of Nets playoff decision: ‘People don’t see that’

Ben Simmons has excessive expectations as soon as his Nets profession lastly will get underway on the courtroom.

The three-time NBA All-Star didn’t seem in a sport following his February arrival within the James Harden blockbuster, principally because of a again damage that finally required surgical procedure. Simmons mentioned on JJ Redick’s “The Previous Man and the Three” podcast that he’s eagerly anticipating his first sport this season alongside returning Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in Brooklyn.

“It’s going to be sick, I can’t wait. I’m so excited,” Simmons mentioned. “I’ve obtained a brand new quantity, a brand new jersey. I’m simply trying ahead to it. I feel we now have a particular crew, and if we get all of it collectively, we’re going to be champions. That’s the tip purpose.

“However yeah, I’m excited. It’s New York Metropolis. I’m enjoying with some unbelievable gamers, and a terrific teaching workers.”

The 26-year-old Simmons, who will put on No. 10 with the Nets, had been pushing to make his crew debut in Recreation 4 of the primary spherical of the playoffs final spring, however he suffered a setback, and Brooklyn’s season ended with a four-game sweep by the Celtics.

Ben Simmons ahead of a Nets playoff game against Celtics.
Ben Simmons forward of a Nets playoff sport in opposition to Celtics.
Corey Sipkin for the NY POST

“Horrible,” Simmons mentioned. “Factor is, you will have a number of guys within the NBA that is likely to be like, ‘Oh, I’m sore right this moment. I’m harm. I can’t play.’ And the scenario I’m in will not be a traditional scenario, so it’s exhausting for me to be like, ‘I really can’t play.’

“However me, figuring out me, I’m like, ‘Let me simply try to show them mistaken. Let me try to get on the courtroom,’ as a result of everybody’s saying, like, ‘You want to play, in any other case it’s going to be dangerous for you.’ I’m like, ‘All proper.’ So when it obtained to that time, after I’m in follow, like, I do know I’m not feeling proper. I can’t, my muscle groups — my glutes [are] not working. I can’t soar, I can’t dunk. And other people don’t see that stuff.

“However that was the fact of it. And me, I’m about to play, I’m about to enter Recreation 4 — I attempted to enter Recreation 4. I’m on the bottom, I can’t even transfer. So it’s an actual factor. And for me, it was irritating as a result of you will have everybody saying no matter. However I attempt to block that out. If I’m harm, I’m harm. I’m not attempting to sit down out.”

Ben Simmons at the US Open on Sept. 6, 2022.
Ben Simmons on the US Open on Sept. 6, 2022.
Jackson Lee

Simmons, who has made simply 5 of 34 3-point makes an attempt with a .597 free-throw share by way of 4 NBA seasons, admitted that criticism of his capturing capacity and/or reluctance to shoot the ball is “for positive” irritating.

“However it’s additionally certainly one of my weaknesses, so what am I going to get mad at individuals for saying I’m not good at one thing?” he added. “Like OK yeah cool. I’m going to follow and get higher. It's what it's. And that’s simply a part of the sport. If I used to be a man that sucked and other people didn’t care, individuals wouldn’t be mentioning my title.”

Simmons additionally expanded on his exit from Philadelphia, together with being kicked out of a follow by coach Doc Rivers and his commerce request after holding out initially of final season because of psychological well being points.

“It looks like everybody’s simply attempting to f–okay with me,” Simmons mentioned. “Like, I’m getting fined for not lifting weights, however, bodily, I’m like one of many strongest guys on the f–king crew. So that they’re fining me for little issues. It was only a buildup. … Clearly, I didn’t deal with issues the fitting manner, but additionally the crew didn’t both and the individuals who had that energy.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post