Ex-49er Brent Jones rips ‘smiling’ Jimmy Garoppolo for ‘horrible’ play against Broncos

Former San Francisco 49ers tight finish Brent Jones was offended by every thing Jimmy Garoppolo did within the 49ers’ 11-10 loss to the Broncos on Sunday: not simply his “horrible” play, however even his smile and hair.

Throughout an look on KNBR’s Tom Tolbert and Adam Copeland podcast, Jones ripped Garoppolo after the quarterback’s first begin since Trey Lance was dominated out for the season with an ankle harm.

“I'm laying the blame, I don’t do that fairly often, in truth I don’t do it hardly in any respect. Jimmy Garoppolo was horrible,” Jones stated on Tuesday. “What the heck? While you’re knowledgeable soccer participant and quarterback, you understand the place the again of the top zone is. That was so outrageous. Whereas I used to be yelling, ‘What are you considering?’ He’s throwing a pick-six, so I’m rooting for security.”

Jimmy Garoppolo of the San Francisco 49ers passes against the Denver Broncos at Empower Field At Mile High on September 25, 2022 in Denver, Colorado.
Jimmy Garoppolo of the San Francisco 49ers passes in opposition to the Denver Broncos at Empower Subject At Mile Excessive on September 25, 2022 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Photographs
Former San Francisco 49er Brent Jones speaks on the 2016 Bart Starr Award on the grand ballroom of the Hilton Union Sq. in San Francisco California.
Corbis/Icon Sportswire by way of Getty

In his first begin since Lance underwent season-ending surgical procedure for a damaged ankle, Garoppolo stepped out of the again of his personal finish zone for a security, amongst different obvious errors on offense.

The quarterback additionally threw an interception and misplaced a fumble because the 49ers’ offense punted the soccer away seven occasions and dedicated three turnovers.

“You understand since we received Jimmy, I’ve been fairly supportive of Jimmy, and I’ve tried to say so alongside the best way,” stated Jones, who's a three-time Tremendous Bowl champion with the 49ers. “And he’s not excellent, he does one or two goofy issues each recreation and we talked about this, even when Trey was the starter. I stated ‘simply bear in mind, the world isn’t completely rosy with Jimmy in there.'”

After the sport, Garoppolo was seen smiling throughout an change with Broncos offensive lineman Cam Fleming, who was his teammate for 3 seasons with the Patriots.

Jones expressed his displeasure for Garoppolo’s blissful demeanor after such an unpleasant loss.

“However I gotta say, and I don’t assume I’ve ever stated this earlier than, after you performed horrible and also you’re the rationale your staff misplaced the sport, you don't smile and go glad handing the opposite staff after the sport. I’ve by no means seen that from any quarterback ever, that has ever been any good,” Jones stated, earlier than naming quarterback legends, together with a few of whom he performed with.

“Steve Younger? No means. Joe Montana? Hell no. Brett Favre? No likelihood in heck. You assume [Broncos quarterback] Russell Wilson is laughing after he throws a choose, steps out of the top zone for a security and fumbles a ball and performs horrible and his staff’s 1-2 and the rationale they misplaced the sport? It nearly appeared like he didn’t even care.”

Russell Wilson #3 of the Denver Broncos and Jimmy Garoppolo #10 of the San Francisco 49ers shake hands at Empower Field At Mile High on September 25, 2022 in Denver, Colorado.
Russell Wilson #3 of the Denver Broncos and Jimmy Garoppolo #10 of the San Francisco 49ers shake arms at Empower Subject At Mile Excessive on September 25, 2022 in Denver, Colorado.
Getty Photographs
Former San Francisco 49er Brent Jones tees off at Pebble Beach during the five-hole charity shoot-out between the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants, Tuesday afternoon Feb. 4, 2014 at Pebble Beach, Calif.
Former San Francisco 49er Brent Jones tees off at Pebble Seaside in the course of the five-hole charity shoot-out between the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants, Tuesday afternoon Feb. 4, 2014 at Pebble Seaside, Calif.
MediaNews Group by way of Getty Photographs

“It was so irritating, and possibly I used to be simply mad as a result of the sport was so ugly. If that’s me, I’m operating for the locker room. I'm not smiling, I'm not speaking to anyone for per week if you happen to play like that. I simply don’t get his disposition, however that was actually irritating. Icing on the cake,” Jones stated.

Jones, who spent his complete 11-year NFL profession with the 49ers, performed with Montana and Younger. The retired All-Professional tight finish defined what he expects to see out of Garoppolo transferring ahead.

“I need to see Jimmy grabbing a pair receivers and speaking to them, I need to see him patting his linemen on the shoulder and saying ‘I would like a while,’” Jones stated. “I all the time simply see him sitting there posing and no person is taking GQ pics on the sideline. I need to see some emotion, I need to see some quarterbacking, however they all the time simply present him sitting there trying stoic, posing. I wanna see some tousled hair, how about that?

“I need my quarterback all in. I’m not saying he’s not, however it positive comes throughout like ‘ya, know, oh effectively, too dangerous, I needed to take a pay reduce this yr. It’s not on me, I’m simply right here having enjoyable. Excessive 5. Yeah we received smoked.’”

The 49ers host their division rivals, the Rams, on “Monday Evening Soccer” this week.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post